Powder turned to Red dust

Help Support Ruger Forum:

xtpshooter

Single-Sixer
Anyone had this happen, I had a half full can of IMR-4350 which I used in 6MM loads stored with the rest of my powder. I was checking on it one day and noticed the metal can had fell apart and all the powder had turned to rust colored dust. I am worried about the other cans of 4350 doing the same thing.

sailorb

Single-Sixer
Holy Moly, how old was it? I've used IMR 4350 that was close to 20 years old and never had that problem. Was it stored in any sort of a temperature controlled environment? I bought an estate sale lot of reloading supplies a few years ago and there was about 15 pounds of assorted powder in it, all dated 1987-1989 by the owner. It has all been good save one can, and interestingly enough, it was IMR 4350. It didn't look bad, just smelled funny. The other cans of the same powder were fine.

xtpshooter

Single-Sixer
Somewhere around 20 years old, but stored inside air conditioned home. It was a half a can I never got around to using. Odd thing was I had checked it recently and it was fine. It seemed to happed very suddently, and almost disolved the can.

Rick Courtright

Hawkeye
Hi,

Haven't had it happen to me, but that reddish rust appearance is one of the signs I was warned about years ago: it's time for THAT can to become fertilizer on the lawn!

Dunno if your other cans of the same powder are going to do the same, but watch them very carefully! And, if they were mine, I'd be VERY careful about loading them. They might be ok, might be ok at starting levels, but not beyond, or they might not even be ok at starting load level.

Perhaps it's safer to just turn 'em all into fertilizer and start fresh? It's only a few bucks compared to ????

Rick C

captainkirk

Blackhawk
I have had a can or two over the years that have rusted on the inside. Mostly IMR if I remember right. They were given to me when I lived in east Texas. Not sure how they were stored before I got them, but when I ultimately disposed of them clouds of rust followed the powder out of the can.

I now live in a very dry climate and have yet to see any reaction to the dessicant I keep in the safe.

captainkirk

Jimbo357mag

Hawkeye
That is a sure sign of deterioration along with an acidic smell.

http://www.alliantpowder.com/getting_started/safety/storage_handling.aspx

How to Check Smokeless Powder for Deterioration

quote> Although modern smokeless powders are basically free from deterioration under proper storage conditions, safe practices require a recognition of the signs of deterioration and its possible effects.

Powder deterioration can be checked by opening the cap on the container and smelling the contents. Powder undergoing deterioration has an irritating acidic odor. (Don't confuse this with common solvent odors such as alcohol, ether and acetone.)

Check to make certain that powder is not exposed to extreme heat as this may cause deterioration. Such exposure produces an acidity which accelerates further reaction and has been known, because of the heat generated by the reaction, to cause spontaneous combustion.

Never salvage powder from old cartridges and do not attempt to blend salvaged powder with new powder. Don't accumulate old powder stocks.

The best way to dispose of deteriorated smokeless powder is to burn it out in the open at an isolated location in small shallow piles (not over 1" deep). The quantity burned in any one pile should never exceed one pound. Use an ignition train of slow burning combustible material so that the person may retreat to a safe distance before powder is ignited. <end quote

...Jimbo

Chief 101

Hunter
I had a can of IMR 4227 do that after 30+ years of indoor storage..Hodgdon Tech said to toss it, I just added it to some fireworks...Chief aka Maxx Load
guns.gif

HerrMesser

Single-Sixer
I had a can of H4831 that rusted the can top and bottom , sides was paper, and any other steel close to it. The powder had a slimy look to and stuck to itself. The ammo I had loaded with it deteriorated the brass necks. I had another batch that I just took to the range and fired. A little extra kick but no sign of excess pressure though.

Rad

APEXDUCK

Single-Sixer
Be careful burning off old powder. Large quantities of smokeless powder can make significant fireball that can remove some facial, arm and hand hair. Dot's ask me how I know, but is was spectacular! I though I had it spread out and in small enough piles, but smokeless powder burns WAY fast on the ground.

APEXDUCK

Jimbo357mag

Hawkeye
APEXDUCK said:
Be careful burning off old powder. Large quantities of smokeless powder can make significant fireball that can remove some facial, arm and hand hair. Dot's ask me how I know, but is was spectacular! I though I had it spread out and in small enough piles, but smokeless powder burns WAY fast on the ground.

APEXDUCK
Ten foot pole, duct tape, twist of paper. :D :D :mrgreen:

...Jimbo

pps

Single-Sixer
There is enough nitrogen in the powder that when it deteriorates it can become unstable. It DOES make a spectacular and entertaining fireball. It can also make great plant fertilizer if you want to take the safe and sane rout.

I say, "What's wrong with slightly singed eyebrows?"

:shock:

Tx gun runner

Single-Sixer
Years ago a friend had some about 8 lbs of 4831 bulk military surplus powder and stored it a plastic like bleach bottle and in a old refrigerator for years with his other powders . We took it out to load some 30-06 ammo and put some in powder measurer . After about 15 mins or so , I moved the jug off reloading bench to start reloading and I notice the jug felt warm and about another 15 mins it was really warm . We took it outside and put it the center of yard with the cap off to spread it out later to burn and we went back in shop to find different powder to reload with . About a 1/2 hour later we heard this hissing sound outside and looked at the powder jug and it looked like a fireworks display with a flame shooting out of open top 20 feet high . Thank GOD it wasn't in the shop .