Difference between new and old model vaquero's ?

Help Support Ruger Forum:

kemper

Bearcat
I own an original old model stainless vaquero in 45 Colt. What is the difference between the old and new model vaquero's ? Thanks

rdf009

Single-Sixer
"Old model" Vaquero perhaps isn't the proper term, as "old model" refers to three screw, pre-transfer bar Ruger single actions. Everyone knows what you mean when you say old model Vaquero, but really there are only Vaqueros and New Vaqueros.

The difference is that the original Vaqueros were built on a larger frame, identical to the Blackhawk frames. They had XR3-RED grip frames (and some had birdsheads), and can handle most any ammunition that you feed them. New Vaqueros are built on a smaller frame (more similar to the original Colt SAA). They have beveled cylinders, and XR3 grip frames, which are slightly smaller than XR3-REDs. Most people will tell you not to shoot super heavy loads out of the New Vaqueros (especially the .45s), because of the smaller frame size.

gak

Buckeye
The New also has a reverse index (direct alignment) pawl which stops cylinder rotation so that the desired eject/charge hole aligns perfectly with the chamber. The New's hammer also is higher and more back-swept, versus the original/large frame's Blackhawk hammer (talking non-Bisleys of course). Later New Vaqueros also don't have the faux case colored cylnder frame, replaced by an all-blued one. Cylinder diameter and length are greater on the original Vaquero, commensurate with the larger frame and to accomodate longer cartridges such as .44 Mag (and longer .45 bullets . The larger diameter also means that there's more "beef" between chambers--most important with the .45 application (as in "hot" loads)..

street

Hunter
rdf009 said:
"Old model" Vaquero perhaps isn't the proper term, as "old model" refers to three screw, pre-transfer bar Ruger single actions. Everyone knows what you mean when you say old model Vaquero, but really there are only Vaqueros and New Vaqueros.

Finally someone explains the proper terminology to use when describing the "Vaquero" and "New Vaquero", without making a federal case out of it. And without insulting the member who used the term that is not considered correct on this forum.

rdf009, thank you for doing this, as I see, and I think that most other people will too, that this is the most polite way that it could have been done. Job well done. :idea:

J Miller

Blackhawk
A lot of us have been politely urging and explaining the proper names for the Vaquero and New Vaquero since 2005.

Most people that use incorrect nomenclature do so because they want to. Because of that some folks just get frustrated and their civility slips.

Vaquero - New Vaquero. Simple, easy to understand. Even for me and all I own is Old Model Rugers.

Joe

CraigC

Hawkeye
J Miller said:
A lot of us have been politely urging and explaining the proper names for the Vaquero and New Vaquero since 2005.

Most people that use incorrect nomenclature do so because they want to. Because of that some folks just get frustrated and their civility slips.

Vaquero - New Vaquero. Simple, easy to understand. Even for me and all I own is Old Model Rugers.

Joe
Exactly!

s

Olsherm

Blackhawk
I have an "old Vaquero"> I have had it for several years."Get it?"HA HA HA HA HA .Just funning.I also have a "new Vaquero" that I have had for several years,so you could say it is an "old Vaquero.HUH? Gotta use this space for something. Come on "lighten up a little"HEE HEE

kemper

Bearcat
Thanks especially to rdf009 that was a nice way of informing me of the correct information. Most of my ruger revolvers I purchased in the 90's & I'm just now getting back into shooting my guns and collecting new ones, so I apologize for not being up to date. Certainly didn't choose to use the incorrect terminology, just didn't know frankly & ur correct cas it does not say 45 LC, it says ".45 CAL", i've just always known and referred to the round as the 45 LC. The serial # on my Vaquero is "55-3901X, so any ideas as to when this gun was manufactured. I purchased it new from my LGS.

Hugh

Buckeye
kemper said:
Thanks especially to rdf009 that was a nice way of informing me of the correct information. Most of my ruger revolvers I purchased in the 90's & I'm just now getting back into shooting my guns and collecting new ones, so I apologize for not being up to date. Certainly didn't choose to use the incorrect terminology, just didn't know frankly & ur correct cas it does not say 45 LC, it says ".45 CAL", i've just always known and referred to the round as the 45 LC. The serial # on my Vaquero is "55-3901X, so any ideas as to when this gun was manufactured. I purchased it new from my LGS.

1994 - 1995 time frame. Here's the link:

http://ruger.com/service/productHistory/RE-Vaquero.html

Driftwood Johnson

Blackhawk
Howdy

Here is a photo of a couple of New Vaqueros underneath a 7 1/2" 'original model' Vaquero.

Vaqueros_ColorCase.jpg

The hammers on these New Vaqueros are the hammers that were first available on them. Just like a Colt, the hammer spur was taller than that on the 'original model' Vaquero. And just like a Colt, the taller hammer spur obscured the sights until the hammer was cocked. The lower hammer spur on the 'original model' Vaquero does not obscure the sights. Doesn't really matter, you can't shoot the gun until you cock the hammer anyway. There are a couple of options available now as far as hammers on the New Vaquero. The SASS New Vaqueros have a lower profile hammer, I'm pretty sure it is a Super Blackhawk hammer.

The extractor rod handle on a New Vaquero is a bit more like a real Colt crescent shaped extractor rod handle than the one that came on the 'original model' Vaquero.

One other detail that has not been mentioned. The cylinder pin on the New Vaquero is shorter than on the 'original model' Vaquero. The longer cylinder pin was Bill Ruger's idea way back with the original Blackhawk. With the longer cylinder pin, the pin cannot be removed from the gun without removing the extractor housing. Bill did that because with the shorter Colt pin it is possible to loose the pin, particularly if it jumps out of the gun from heavy recoil while shooting. With the New Vaquero pin, it is completely possible to loose the pin in the grass if it jumps out of the gun from recoil. Ignore the pin in the pictured 'original model' Vaquero, it is an after market replacement pin.

By the way, I have demonstrated the way I always differentiate between the earlier and later model Vaqueros. Removes all doubt of which one I am talking about.

Rclark

Hunter
Just 'original' will do :) . Original Vaquero or Vaquero ... and of course the New Vaquero :) . Now about the .45 Colt....

Hondo44

Hawkeye
Driftwood Johnson said:
Howdy
There are a couple of options available now as far as hammers on the New Vaquero. The SASS New Vaqueros have a lower profile hammer, I'm pretty sure it is a Super Blackhawk hammer.

Driftwood,
Great detailed explanation of the differences. The Cowboy shooters model, the Montado limited edition did come with a Super Blkhk like wide spur hammer, although diamond checkered. The SASS Models come with the same as you said and I think they can or could be had with a standard Blackhawk and Flat top hammer like the original Vaqueros, (good make-no-mistake terminology by the way), which I have substituted in my New Vaq Sheriff Model along with Colt ejector rod and Belt Mtn Colt style pin shown here:
orig.jpg

5of7

Hunter
J Miller said:

Joe

Why would an adult find something as miniscule as this, "frustrating?" :roll:

street

Hunter
Hondo44 said:
Driftwood Johnson said:
Howdy
There are a couple of options available now as far as hammers on the New Vaquero. The SASS New Vaqueros have a lower profile hammer, I'm pretty sure it is a Super Blackhawk hammer.

Driftwood,
Great detailed explanation of the differences. The Cowboy shooters model, the Montado limited edition did come with a Super Blkhk like wide spur hammer, although diamond checkered. The SASS Models come with the same as you said and I think they can or could be had with a standard Blackhawk and Flat top hammer like the original Vaqueros, (good make-no-mistake terminology by the way), which I have substituted in my New Vaq Sheriff Model along with Colt ejector rod and Belt Mtn Colt style pin shown here:
orig.jpg

This can't be a "New Vaquero Sheriff" model. It only has "VAQUERO" stamped on the frame. :?: It's been said. "It simple". It's either a Vaquero or New Vaquero. Look at what's stamped on the frame. If it has Vaquero then it's a "Vaquero or old Vaquero, or large frame Vaquero, or original Vaquero". If it has New Vaquero stamped on the frame then it's a "New Vaquero, or small frame Vaquero, or latest model Vaquero". See how simple this is. Who could possibly get this mixed up. :lol: :lol: :lol:

It's not as simple as some would like to make out. When one talks about a Vaquero, usually they put "Older" or "Large Frame" or "Original" in front of it, and sometimes "Old Model", but they usually get their their knuckles slapped for using that term. Look! Both the new and original models are "VAQUEROs" So when someone uses any of those terms to explain what they are talking about, it's OK. If someone calls a Vaquero an Old Model Vaquero. There is a nice way to bring it to their attention. Just look at how rdf009 explained the proper terminology without insulting the person, and how polite he was and not judgemental about it. After all some people call the 45 LC just a 45 Colt. :lol: :lol: :lol:

Latest posts