RUGER VAQUERO BIRDS HEAD in .357?

Help Support Ruger Forum:

jarubla

Bearcat
Gentlemen,

How tough is it to find a Vaquero with birds head grips chambered in .357?

Also, do all of the birds heads Vaqueros come in a 3 3/4" barrel?

Thank you,

-Jay

jarubla

Bearcat
In reading a bit, is the keylock/birds head an issue with .357?

Runs too damn hot for the birds head?

Not trying to troll, honest. Just curious

-Jay

VAdoublegunner

Single-Sixer
I don't know how tough it is, but I see 45 Colts more often. There was one at a local store in my area a couple of months or so ago, the price was pretty reasonable (~$450 I think), but I didn't need it. I thought the 357 a bit heavy compared to my 45 Colt, those holes in the cylinder and barrel being smaller. It sold in a few weeks.

rdf009

Single-Sixer
They're out there, but pretty hard to find (even harder than the .45s). And they have 4-5/8" barrels, not 3-3/4" like the .45s do.

JWhitmore44

Blackhawk
I've never seen a bids head with the lock. I've read where the lock supposedly wont fit on the birds head, not sure how true that is. My guess is it's because they use a different grip pattern than the lock versions. The birds head grips are steel. I have one on a Vaquero in 45 colt that I shoot heavy loads. I'm sure it can handle those little 357 rounds :)

ar15ed

Single-Sixer
they are pretty scarce! there was one on auctionarms a couple of years ago. i was all excited, until the final bidding war. i think it hit 600.00. then one popped up on the classified forum here, and sold instantly. both were 4 5/8 barrels.

i would like to have one, but i have given up actively LOOKING for one! surely a few will pop up at some point in the future!

good luck with the search!

LongRifle

Bearcat
I have a set of sequential serial numbered set of .357s that I bought in 2005

I bought them on a whim and they are indeed very cool, so cool that I don't shoot them. I have test fired them and look at them a lot.

They are the original Vaqueros not the New Model.

I will say this, that given the choice, I like the feel of the Montado better.

SteelShooter

Single-Sixer
I think the Birdshead grips are older designs, they are made in steel and stainless steel, don't have the locations for the locks.

Grips are getting harder to find as the old Ruger grip manufacturer went out of business some time ago, think they were named Lett's (SP?).

The black markarta (SP?) ones were available on Cheaper than Dirt a while ago and bought several at a really great price...

The easiest way to get one of these, if you want shooters is to locate the grip frames and either attach them on your own, or have a gunsmith fit them to your revolver.

That would likely be the easiest, especially if you want a shooter.

chet15

Hawkeye
SteelShooter said:
I think the Birdshead grips are older designs, they are made in steel and stainless steel, don't have the locations for the locks.

Right. None of the old style (large frame) Vaqueros have locks, and all the birdshead guns were the large frame Vaquero.
Chet15

jamesellik

Bearcat
my local shop has a pair of birdshead .357's. Not sure if they are consecutive or not. Only asking $445. for them. They might ship to a local FFL for you.

Gatorbate

Bearcat
3398471e-orig.jpg

Like this ?

Latest posts