.41 Magnum - S&W model 57 vs. Redhawk vs. Blackhawk

Help Support Ruger Forum:

south_ridge

Single-Sixer
All,

I have wanted a .41 magnum for a while, mainly because it's something different. I came across a S&W model 57 from the 70s in a gun shop this weekend and it sure felt nice.

I know this is a Ruger forum, and I own several Rugers (and no Smiths). But what do you think of the model 57 compared to a used Redhawk in .41 mag? Or since I will be hunting with this thing anyway should I just go single-action and buy a Blackhawk? Probably 95% of the shooting I would do with a DA revolver will be single action.

For reference, I own a Single Six and an SP101 in .38/.357. I haven't spent much time shooting Smiths other than a J-Frame in .38. And I've shot a Super Blackhawk in .44 mag so I have a feel for what I'm getting into recoil-wise.

Thanks.

SR

hittman

Staff member
I prefer double action over single action so ..... lets dismiss the Blackhawk for now.

On Smith 57 vs. Redhawk, there really is no comparison unless you just like paying more for a lesser quality product.

I've got my share of Smiths but it'd be my last choice of the three.

If that Smith had a reasonable price on it in good condition, I'd be working hard on taking it home. A pinned and recessed model 57 (no dash) from the '70's is a fine quality firearm, and one you don't see for sale very often (at least around here).

That said, for your stated purpose, I'd be looking for a Blackhawk in your preferred barrel length.

I happen to own examples of all three of your choices and I shoot the Blackhawk more than the other two combined - and I just prefer the single action for carrying around in the woods. You'll have some fun in your quest for the right .41 for you - all are good choices so you can't go wrong.

Don Lovel

Hunter
Having owned all three, I am going to say I enjoyed shooting the Redhawk with 5 1/2" barrel the best with 175gr Winchester Silvertips. I had an 8 3/8 S&W 57 that I sold to one of my best friends, he installed an aimpoint on it and with the 175gr Silvertips it is a deer slayer at 150yds

GAR

Single-Sixer
Got my first 41 mag in 74, a S&W 57. Shot it so much it ended up going back to the factory and was totally rebuilt. It is in semi retirement at this time.

Have a Redhawk Hunter in 41 mag. Heavy beast but will handle any sane load that I want to put through it. Scary accurate with a 250gr LFNGC LBT style bullet.

Just got a SS Bisley with a 5 1/2" in 41 mag. Still working with it but it is promising.

The older S&W's are a thing of beauty and probaly have one of the best letoff's in the SA mode. IMHO they just won't stand up to the continued use of heavy loads.

Still scraping the funds together to get a Blackhawk in 41mag.

Tom

estacado

Bearcat
I ve owned two of each. I loved the 4" M57 the best with the 6" second. I once rolled a running jackrabbit with the 6" shooting double action at 75 yards. The only witness was my 6 year old. This was all in the late 70's, still wish I had that particular 4" M57. The Blackhawks were both 6'' models and never had any great affection for them. I have 3 Lipsey 44SPCLs and two Super Blackhawks, one with 4 5/8" barrel and the other a 50th Anniversary model. So I do like some of the Ruger products.

Buzz Gillis

Jimbo357mag

Hawkeye
It would be hard to beat a Blackhawk or Bisley 'Hunter' in 41 Magnum for a dedicated hunting handgun.

SuperBlackhawkBisleyHunter.jpg

...Jimbo

5of7

Hunter
I happen to have 2 41 Mgs at the moment....a 6" 657 Smith and a 5-1/2" SS Redhawk.

The Smith has a better trigger and shoots a little better than the Redhawk. The N frame Smith will handle the 41 Mg. cartridge quite well due to the .41 being smaller in diameter than the .44 Mg.

I don't think I would part with either one of them, but if I had to choose, I would opt for the 657.

bigheaddaddy

Single-Sixer
I have a 6.5" Blackhawk, a 5.5" Redhawk, and a 3" 657. The 657 has the best trigger by far, but from 25 to 50 yards, the accuracy of the Blackhawk is hard to beat.

My next .41 purchase will be either a Ruger 7.5" Hunter or a model 57 in 8 3/8". I'm leaning toward the Ruger, but haven't made my mind up yet.

Long story short, .41 mag is my favorite caliber.

41redhawkandblackhawkr.jpg

1.jpg

G2

Hunter
GAR said:
Got my first 41 mag in 74, a S&W 57. Shot it so much it ended up going back to the factory and was totally rebuilt. It is in semi retirement at this time.

Have a Redhawk Hunter in 41 mag. Heavy beast but will handle any sane load that I want to put through it. Scary accurate with a 250gr LFNGC LBT style bullet.

Just got a SS Bisley with a 5 1/2" in 41 mag. Still working with it but it is promising.

The older S&W's are a thing of beauty and probaly have one of the best letoff's in the SA mode. IMHO they just won't stand up to the continued use of heavy loads.

Still scraping the funds together to get a Blackhawk in 41mag.

Tom

+1 to all the above, Very well said.

However, Now I want one of these!!!
1.jpg

My go to favorite is a 5.5" SS Bisley Blackhawk.
rug41ssb1.jpg

P1010012.jpg

I had a .41 Bisley Hunter, IMO just too much steel.
I prefer my 45 Colt Hunter. Bigger hole and less steel, better balance.

Cracker-American

Blackhawk
My first .41 is a Model 57 that I bought new in 1971. It has been well used throughout the years.

This is the last deer I killed with it Thanksgiving 2006/7

IMG_0485-1.jpg

It is now in semi-retirement while I enjoy two blackhawks. A new and an old model.

I do not think there is a better single action trigger than a 70's era Smith with an action job.

And I do not thing there are many sweeter sounds than that of pulling the hammer back on that old model.

I know. Buy one of each

SgtSam

Bearcat
I've owned both Blackhawks and 57s, but no Redhawks. So, I can't comment on the Redhawk.

Between the 57 and the Blackhawk, if I had to chose, I'd take the 57 without any delay. Mine was more comfortable to shoot than the Blackhawk. More accurate, and fit and finish was better. Now, please don't take this as a "diss" in anyway to the Blackhawk. It's a damn fine revolver. But the Smith is simply better.

A Bisley Blackhawk would be better than the regular one. But, I'd still take the S&W.

But, you're the one that must make the choice, and live with the choice. Of course, you can always change your mind and buy different.

Good Luck!

Palu

Bearcat
Like you, I have a GP100 and SP101. My next gun will be a Blackhawk (.44 mag for me).

41manor44

Single-Sixer
I own all 3 and I already know I'm not going to be much help. If the Smith is in good shape and the price is reasonable I go for it. 41 Redhawks are few and far between. My Blackhawk is the least accurate and I think it's just because I just haven't found what it likes. As far as the Redhawk it's a great shooter as is the 57. The 57 trigger is the best by far but I wouldn't part with any of them. 41 is MY caliber.

sharkman

Bearcat
I have had three .41 mags, over the years, and it is my favorite caliber. A 4" Blue model 57, a 7.5" model 657, and recently acquired a 4.625" OM Blackhawk. Of the three, the blue 57 had the best trigger, but the 3 screw is as nice, as the 57 in SA mode. Though I have owned several N-Frame S&W's, over the years, I am NOT a big fan of S&W, and have only owned two Ruger revolvers, EVER, so I can't compare apples to apples. My other Ruger wheelgun was an older Security Six, back in the late 70's.
In comparison, between it (comparing apples to pears to oranges), my newly acquired OM Blackhawk, a friend's Super Redhawk, and the various S&W N-Frame revolvers, which I have owned, over the years, my best opinion is that, while they are nothing to complain about, the Ruger DA's do not have the slick action, or crisp trigger, of the N-Frame S&W's, out of the box, and I am quite impressed with the action, and trigger, on the OM Blackhawk. However, as for design and ruggedness, HANDS DOWN, Ruger has it, all over the Smith's.
Were I in your position, I would opt for the Redhawk, get an action job on it, and start looking for a 3-Screw, .41 mag. I think there is no better wheelgun ever made, than the 3-screw Ruger. It is, without a doubt, my favorite shooter, other than my Colt's. But they are all old, and have been through the Colt Custom shop, to be EXACTLY what I want.

David LaPell

Blackhawk
I have had two Blackhawks in .41 Magnum and now I own a Model 57 with a 4-inch barrel. As far as strength goes, well that's for a Ruger. But for me to have the overall gun that I can carry anywhere for packing well that is my Smith. The Redhawk has never really fit my hand all that well.

surveyor47

Single-Sixer
+1 For the 41 Bisley. The Redhawk has ignition problems and the current S&Ws require too many rebuilds right out of the box. Both can be fixed with persistance, but for out of the box performance BISLEY 41!

Cracker-American

Blackhawk
Back in 1971 when I had just bought my Model 57 I took it to a local gunsmith know for his action jobs on S&W's.

He took it in hand, verified it was empty, dry fired it rapidly double action, then single action.

His hands were a blur as he took the side plate off. Then he looked at me and said something along the line of "damn thing should have been cut in half before it left the factory. They just don't make them like they did in the 50's and 60's."

Now my early 70's pinned and recessed Smith is the standard of excellence. The more things change the more they stay the same.

Lee Martin

Hunter
My workhorse 41s are all Blackhawks with these two being my favorites:

Five_Shot_41_1.jpg

Martin41Magnum.jpg

Both have seen thousands of rounds of magnum and I never worry about them shooting loose. That being said, I have a thing for 57's and 657's too (this Lew Horton from '87 tops the list):

S_W_657.JPG

With the Smiths however I shoot reduced to mid-level loads (of the Green Dot and HS6 variety). They'll handle full-house but as folks have suggested they can start to "rattle" over time. I'm not an S&W expert, but a lot of guys will also tell you the 57's hold-up a tad bit better than 29's. If I wanted a double-action for magnum 41 though, it'd be a Redhawk hands down. They might not be as slick as the 57s, but they're brute strong.

STGThndr

Bearcat
Personally I'd jump on a .41 model 57 Smith.. you didnt say what the bbl length is. A 4 or 6 inch DA would be great... But I wouldnt be hunting with it. I still KICK myself for not trying harder to get a 57 I saw a few years ago. Of course I havent seen one since.