44 Special Project

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Lee Martin

Hunter
Guys....sorry if I came across as rude here. To be honest, I didn't check this thread a lot and didn't look back on all the previous posts. Didn't mean to ignore people, but I was clear early on that I wasn't going to make it a complete "how to" thread. I don't do this as a business, so there's no money angle for me. A lot of gunsmiths do put a roof over their head by making cylinders though. As such, I decided not to give away every detail on how we build them. That plus no one taught us how to do it....we spent more than a few hours machining prototype cylinders out of aluminum back in the late 80s. If anyone is good enough with a mill to eventually make cylinders, they should take the time to figure it out on their own. In my opinion, that's the best way to learn Blackhawk smithing.

LAH

Buckeye
Lee nothing wrong with keeping your secrets. I asked a leading smith once while having dinner if he would tell me how he linebored cylinders? His answer was short & to the point=NO. I took no offence. I do things while casting I keep to myself.

Greebe

Single-Sixer
LAH said:
Lee nothing wrong with keeping your secrets. I asked a leading smith once while having dinner if he would tell me how he linebored cylinders? His answer was short & to the point=NO. I took no offence. I do things while casting I keep to myself.

This is a fascinating philosophical debate which would be cool to continue with, but I don't want to clutter up this post anymore. All I will say though, is that this is why crafts die off. Craftsman no longer take apprentices and they are unwilling to share the knowledge they have, thus keeping the craft from growing or surviving a lot of times. I personally believe that this is why a lot of crafts that used to employ people are now turned into just hobbies. We in the gun world are becoming extinct and especially in custom gunsmithing. In the long run, the less people we have in the industry, the less ability we will have to keep our right to bear firearms.

Lee Martin

Hunter
Good point Greebe, but I look at it another way. Folks today seem to want all the answers right off the bat. A lot of American ingenuity came from curious folks that tinkered. They may not have got a certain process or part right from the get go, but through repeated attempts they learned.

My dad taught himself how to build Ruger cylinders, Contender barrels, benchrest actions, reamers, etc. None of it was easy, but his persistence made him a better machinist. He's taught me the same way. In fact, I can't tell you how many times he's said "you figure it out".

But you're right about apprenticeships....there is a need for them. But to my way of thinking that's hands on. Not someone trying to explain it over the internet.

LAH

Buckeye
Greebe said:
LAH said:

Craftsman no longer take apprentices and they are unwilling to share the knowledge they have, thus keeping the craft from growing or surviving a lot of times.

Very good point.

Tony_The_Liger

Bearcat
I'm seriously impressed.

Before this thread, I was a .357 guy... and will always be, in some ways.

But now I MUST own a firearm chambered for .44 special.

I caught something from this thread and I can't shake it.

.44 sp here I come...

LAH

Buckeye
Tony_The_Tiger said:
I MUST own a firearm chambered for .44 special.

I caught something from this thread and I can't shake it.

It happens. :lol:

hapjack12

Bearcat
Lee, great thread and I appreciate your work and thanks for sharing.
One comment/question. The old King sights were special as they had a tiny mirror or reflecting material embedded in the rib to reflect light on the front sight. If I had your talent I would definitely make myself a copy of that sight. Sorry I have no pictures but an old S&W sold recently on AA that had a nice picture if that sight. Jack the dog sold it. Why don't you make one and show us how? The sight would look great on a Ruger.
Jack

letsGOphills

Bearcat
just spent the last 25 mins goin through every page of this topic. great job and thanks for sharing.

pamrick

Bearcat
Lee Martin said:
Guys....sorry if I came across as rude here. To be honest, I didn't check this thread a lot and didn't look back on all the previous posts. Didn't mean to ignore people, but I was clear early on that I wasn't going to make it a complete "how to" thread. I don't do this as a business, so there's no money angle for me. A lot of gunsmiths do put a roof over their head by making cylinders though. As such, I decided not to give away every detail on how we build them. That plus no one taught us how to do it....we spent more than a few hours machining prototype cylinders out of aluminum back in the late 80s. If anyone is good enough with a mill to eventually make cylinders, they should take the time to figure it out on their own. In my opinion, that's the best way to learn Blackhawk smithing.
I'm new to this forum and this very build thread is responsible for my being here. With that said, I completely agree with Mr. Martin's position. I have made 5 shot cylinders for my own use. I have no plans for production (I can go broke doing nothing. I don't have to work at it), but I really didn't want to know every detail of the process. I preferred to learn on my own. Consequently; my first effort, while functional, was not the prettiest piece of work! Proprietary knowledge is hard won through lots of trial and error and I respect that. Guys like Linebaugh, Bowen and Martin have 'paid there dues' and I respect that.
On a brighter note: I still return to this thread and reread just for the fun of it.
Great work Mr. Martin.

Frenchy

Bearcat
This is one of the most enjoyable and informative threads I've read in a long time. To say that I'm impressed with Lee's craftsmanship, would be an understatement.
Interesting that on the same day I read the article, I've acquired a new Blackhawk Convertible in .45 Colt/.45 acp.
Thanks again, Lee.

STGThndr

Bearcat
I'm new here and this is my first post. Fascinating. Like the other fella said, this thread is the reason I joined the Ruger Forum. Lee you are very knowledgable and skilled craftsman, very impressive work. Being an escapee from high school level shop classes I have some appreciation of the time and practice and work that went into getting you to the place where you can make something like this.
I love the .44 Special, especially these single actions. I have a NM .357 floatin around that could use trans-mografication into a .44 Spec... but given the time and expense involved it would be better to sell it and get a ready-made from Ruger.
The .44 mags are nice, but there's something about a .44 Special- if ya hafta ask "Why?", ya need more range time! 8) Once again, bang-up job!

29aholic

Single-Sixer
Probably one of the coolest threads I've seen on a Forum. Being an S&W guy myself I dont get here enough. I DO have my share of OM BH's so maybe I need to convert one.

Latest posts