Best ammo for SR9C

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Curley Red

Bearcat
Was wondering what make of ammo is others finding to work best in their SR9C. I have heard that one of the brands that Wal-Mart carries is really good.

Thanks for any info.

markrb

Bearcat
There are so many choices out there that your question is too vague to get a good answer.
Do you want defense ammo?
Do you want target ammo?

Personally for target I use the Winchester white box or the Federal that I can get at Walmart. I don't like the Remington UMC stuff.

I haven't decided on a defense ammo yet, but I am learning towards Speer Gold Dot +p 115 gr.

I would highly suggest reading everything you can get your hands on and trying it out for yourself.

MidLife

Single-Sixer
The least expensive i have found is the Federal American Eagle in 9mm luger. I prefer the heavier-per-caliber bullet, so, in my 9mm luger I use the 147grain RNFP. That is what I used to dial in my SR9c. I use the heavier bullet for two reasons. The greater "momentum" I believe is more effective for SD and penetration than light and fast. The 147gr bullet creates a little more muzzle rise which I prefer for POA/POI registration of my sights.

Curley Red

Bearcat
Thanks everyone I will try out the Federal Champion to break her in. I just bought it a couple hours ago so now I have the 11 day wait blues. I also ordered a Crossbreed Supertuck which is a 4 week wait but worth the wait.

jhearne

Buckeye
Federal American Eagle is decent cheap ammo, and CCI Blazer Aluminum (or Brass if you can find either) work well too. Stay away from Winchester White Box, it's prone to light strikes due to a light spring'd Striker or harder primers.

Josh

axisofoil

Single-Sixer
Curley Red said:
Thanks everyone I will try out the Federal Champion to break her in. I just bought it a couple hours ago so now I have the 11 day wait blues. I also ordered a Crossbreed Supertuck which is a 4 week wait but worth the wait.

11 day wait? ouchies. Last gun I bought, I paid and was out the door in under 15 minutes. AZ with a CCW, you don't even need a NICS check. :D

Comptac has faster turnaround times with their spartan and minotaur holsters, which are very comfortable, as well.

Curley Red

Bearcat
axisofoil said:
Curley Red said:

11 day wait? ouchies. Last gun I bought, I paid and was out the door in under 15 minutes. AZ with a CCW, you don't even need a NICS check. :D

Yeah California wait time sucks, but it could be worse. And with a CCW it makes no difference here. But at least it is not over 100 degrees here like it was when I was in Arizona a month ago to visit family. :D

slick

Bearcat
I just bought my SR9c last Saturday. I acquired some Federals yesterday and I will try it out on Thursday. It took me 15 min to get my pistol. I have a CCW and I live in Ga. Thank God for that.

Curley Red

Bearcat
slick said:
I just bought my SR9c last Saturday. I acquired some Federals yesterday and I will try it out on Thursday. It took me 15 min to get my pistol. I have a CCW and I live in Ga. Thank God for that.

I hate you, nothing personal, but I hate you. I wanna throw a lemon merange pie in your face. But then again it is my fault for living in sunny California. :lol:

slick

Bearcat
Curley Red said:
slick said:

I hate you, nothing personal, but I hate you. I wanna throw a lemon merange pie in your face. But then again it is my fault for living in sunny California. :lol:

Well that will teach you to live in Commiefornia. :lol:

fastexas

Bearcat
I like the Speer Lawman 115 FMJ for range & practice, and it's pretty cheap at Gander. I carry w/ Speer GD 115 +p, and both rounds have identical shooting "feel" (recoil and accuracy)

A

Anonymous

I use the Federal Walmart stuff for target shooting, runs great in my SR9.

For defense loads, I've used Speer Gold Dot 124 grain, and currently have Buffalo Bore 115 grain +P+.

Joeygee23

Bearcat
I use whatever deal I find on slickguns.com

Federal American Eagle
S&B

I only pay $200 -$220 (including shipping) for 1000 rounds. By preference I onkly buy brass cased. Non brass is usually cheaper. I shoot a lot and 20 cents per round goes a long way. The site mentioned above is user posted deal anywhere from Cabelas to ammoman.

Latest posts