Best load or Ammo for Ruger 77/44

Help Support Ruger Forum:

cfarmer

Bearcat
I've got a new production 77/44 that I just got for a deer rifle and I curious as to what ammo/load should shoot best in it...So far I've only shot the 240gr Magtech, 240gr Win. Powerpoint, and 225gr Hornady Leverevolution....none with much luck...although the 240gr stuff seems to shoot better than the 225 gr stuff...I'm thinking that with a 1:20 twist it may like heavier bullets....any thoughts or suggestions?

Thanks for helping a newbie....

Chase

wwb

Hunter
Not trying to be funny, but the "best" ammo is whatever works in your rifle.... and they ain't all the same. I shoot a 96/44.... pretty much the same, and my best performance has been with a 300 grain XTP and 2400 powder, 1/2 grain under max load.

Best recommendation is to take up reloading. Get a single stage press, a set of dies, a powder dispenser, a scale, a dial caliper, and a case trimmer... you're in business. For low-volume loading, a Lee setup will work just fine.

cfarmer

Bearcat
I've got a loader and dies...and have actually loaded some cast stuff before for a handi rifle....I don't really want to shoot cast this time...I'd just like to get in the ballpark before I start trying to "pin the tail on the donkey" so to speak...Does your 96/44 have the 1:20 twist?

mike7mm08

Buckeye
Mine shoots excellent with the now discontinued Nosler 250 grain partition. Max load of H110 and I am under an inch at fifty and just under two at a 100. Cannot ask for much better than that. Fortunately I have a stockpile of the bullets. Close second is a 255 grain cast performance hardcast. Another bullet try would be the 265 grain Hornady. Both my 96/44s shoot them well but surprisingly the 77/44 which has the same barrel specs does not. I would still try them if your hunting for a load as I have heard others having good luck with them.

Jimbo357mag

Hawkeye
I have a 96/44 and a 99/44 and the best factory ammo in both was Federal American Eagle 240gr hollowpoints. (reasonable $ too). The best handloads were 240gr XTP bullets with a max load of H-110 or Accurate #9. 8) 8)

...Jimbo

PJR

Bearcat
cfarmer said:
I've got a new production 77/44 that I just got for a deer rifle and I curious as to what ammo/load should shoot best in it...So far I've only shot the 240gr Magtech, 240gr Win. Powerpoint, and 225gr Hornady Leverevolution....none with much luck...although the 240gr stuff seems to shoot better than the 225 gr stuff...I'm thinking that with a 1:20 twist it may like heavier bullets....any thoughts or suggestions?

Thanks for helping a newbie....

Chase
What size groups are you getting and at what distance? The 77/44 for all of its virtues is not a precision item. I've found the Hornady Leverevolution is the best factory ammo in mine with 2" 3 shot groups at 100 yards. If it's not working in yours it's a trial and error process to see what does. I'm still working on my handloads and but haven't been able to better the Leverevolution although the 300 grain Hornady XTP and a max load of H110 comes closest.

cfarmer

Bearcat
I've been getting between 3-4" groups right now...i'd like them to be some better...but I understand that it's never going to be a sub moa gun...I'm gonna try some more ammo this weekend...hopefully I'll find something that will shoot and that I can try and load for...

thanks for the input...

Chase

cruzerlou

Buckeye
wwb said:
Not trying to be funny, but the "best" ammo is whatever works in your rifle.... and they ain't all the same. I shoot a 96/44.... pretty much the same, and my best performance has been with a 300 grain XTP and 2400 powder, 1/2 grain under max load.

Best recommendation is to take up reloading. Get a single stage press, a set of dies, a powder dispenser, a scale, a dial caliper, and a case trimmer... you're in business. For low-volume loading, a Lee setup will work just fine.
+100 thats what I have .I'm more conserned with quality/consistancy than quanty and every thing I load I weigh the bullet ,[sometimes they may be a few grains off] and each powder charge is the same down to the 100th of a grain .It doesn't make that much diffrence with the .44 mag ,but with my 7.62x51 for my M1A it does .A 10th of a grain here or thers makes a big diffrence at 600 yards so I weigh everything .Bullet ,powder charge, case ,primer and mike the bullets and cases both ways too .That way I know every ones the same I use 168grSerria Match king bullets IMR 4046 powder and CCI large rifle primers and then weigh them after assinbling then too and whan scopes this gun will print 1/2 " 3 groups at 100 yards.with this 4x16x40 mil-dot scope ,if I can see a groundhog ,it's a dead groundhog.
Heres a pic of her
LousPics463.jpg

LousPics464.jpg

buck460XVR

Bearcat
My 77/44 seems to prefer 240 grain bullets(Nosler JSPs or XTPs) over H110/W296. Same loads that work well in my 629s and .44 levers.

geeman1969

Bearcat
I'm handloading XTP 200's atm and a big pig wont stop them so a deer wont.

bullet; 200gn Hornady XTP

powder; Win AR296

charge; 28g

case; Anything but Starline

Reloader; mates Lee multistation

velocity; ?? Pretty much at/over max seen reloads, was out of a sporting shooter mag article.

Gun is a Ruger 96/44 lever rotary 4 shot mag.

Sighted at 100yds. I head shot a crow at 100yds but at 120 went under next target so getting a fairly good dip going out there. Blows up bunnies and you get it for less than $1 per round but you cant put a price on exploding bunnies!!

But is not challenged by the bruisers so far, one shot 80kg+ pig with this load was a backup on another shooters shot, it hit the soft belly and the other side was well messy

A good recoil pad brings it back to a "managable for everyone" .243 or less sort of kick.

Latest posts