RugerForum.com

This is a Ruger Firearms enthusiast's forum, but it is in no way affiliated with, nor does it represent Sturm Ruger & Company Inc. of Southport, CT.
It is currently Tue Sep 19, 2017 4:14 pm

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 28, 2011 2:37 pm 
Hunter

gramps wrote:
Bridge over the River Kwai, nah wrong war hmmm
gramps

Yep, right war. During WW II the Japanese used Allied POW's to build a railroad from Thailand to Burma. That's the setting for the book which is a work of fiction, as is the movie.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 28, 2011 6:45 pm 
Hawkeye

Excellent story, Hugh! I remember reading Silent Victory years ago...long read.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 28, 2011 7:30 pm 
Hunter

WendyZXZ wrote:
Excellent story, Hugh! I remember reading Silent Victory years ago...long read.

Hi Wendy, long read. So with this little tidbit, I'll call it a day about the United States Navy Submarine Force during WW II. I didn't join the force until 1974. But, be advised, like Winston Churchill said "Never have so many owed so much to so few." Or words to that effect.

http://www.navy.mil/navydata/cno/n87/hi ... paign.html

I can only stand in their shadow.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 28, 2011 10:57 pm 
Hawkeye

The Submarine Service carried the battle to the Japanese in the months immediately following Pearl Harbor; Thank God they missed the Sub Pens in Pearl on that first wave and they never launched the second wave.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 29, 2011 1:00 am 
Hawkeye

Pamela: I think your are right. I don't remember the name either. Think it was black and white, I can even picture it in my mind.

One of my favorite books of all time is Run Silent Run Deep by Edward Beach. Movie wasn't quite as good but worth the watch.

Semper Fi:

Karl

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 29, 2011 3:21 pm 
Bearcat

<Posted: Sun Mar 27, 2011 4:21 pm Post subject:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

<Hugh: What was the sub that toward the end of the war had been equipped with mortar tubes welded to the deck and the mission was to destroy a Japanese yard that was making Junks. I seem to remember reading of that years ago. A great story, and maybe the idea behind the success of that mission for missiles on subs. That happened just before the end of the war.
Runs>

Hugh: I have to answer my own question? Upon going to the town library and checking out what books I have read over the years, it turns out that the USS BARB was the sub that had the tubes installed prior to one of their last missions. It is all in " THUNDER BELOW', by Fluckey. Am starting my second read of the book.
Of interest is that the Admiral (then Lt. Cdr) was awarded 4 Navy Crosses and the Congressional Medal of Honor. Unequalled by any living American.
He said that of his many citations he was most proud that no member of his crew ever was awarded the Purple Heart.
They broke the mold when he was made.
Semper Fi

Runs

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 29, 2011 5:00 pm 
Hunter

Runs,

Thanks for doing the research. That comment about the Purple Heart speaks volumns; considering his personal decorations. Overall the Admiral went on at least ten war patrols; including five on BONITA and five on BARB. He led his men into harms way many times and led them out safely; not without making serious contact with the enemy.

For no good reason, I have never read his book "Thunder Below." It's cool that they truly did mount a mortar.

Also, the installation of a mortar begs the question; 60mm, 81mm, 4-deuce?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 30, 2011 3:53 am 
Hawkeye

Would make a pretty good movie! Good story ps

Jan. 20th 2017! Feelling Great Again!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 30, 2011 8:44 am 
Hawkeye

What a hero. More of our commanders should emmulate Retired Rear Admiral Fluckey and his accomplishments!
gramps

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 01, 2011 5:08 pm 
Blackhawk

Colonialgirl wrote:
Something keeps tickling the back of my mind that this was also shown in a movie. I for the life of me cant recall the name of the movie, but the blowing up the ships in the harbor AND the shore party destroying train just sticks in my mind and made bells ring. Anyone else recall the movie or have that feeling??

I saw it too a few years ago. Wish I could remember the name. It was in balck & white.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Apr 02, 2011 11:33 pm 
Bearcat

Hugh wrote:
Runs,

Thanks for doing the research. That comment about the Purple Heart speaks volumns; considering his personal decorations. Overall the Admiral went on at least ten war patrols; including five on BONITA and five on BARB. He led his men into harms way many times and led them out safely; not without making serious contact with the enemy.

For no good reason, I have never read his book "Thunder Below." It's cool that they truly did mount a mortar.

Also, the installation of a mortar begs the question; 60mm, 81mm, 4-deuce?

My father was a member of the Brab's crew for all 5 of the patrols commanded by Admiral Fluckey and was also a member of the 8 man party that went ashore to blow up the train.

The Barb was not actually equipped with a mortar. Just prior to their 12th patrol Admiral Flucky acquired a Mark 51 rocket launcher which fired a 5 inch spin stabilized rocket. The launcher held 12 rockets, which from the way my father described, it sounded like a single stack "magazine" that held the rockets, which were gravity fed into the launch tube. When the launcher was fired the rockets dropped into the launch tube and fired in rapid succession until the magazine was empty. I believe the launcher was mounted on a modifed gunmount that was secured to the forward deck in the area previously occupied by a deck gun. The launcher was aimed by setting the angle of trajectory to 30, 35, 40 or 45 degrees to achieve the desired range then the entire boat had to be oriented in the direction of the target.

My dad had copies of film footage taken during the 12th war patrol, that had been converted into VHS tape format, which showed several of the actual rocket attacks. The film was shot at night so all you see is a rapid series of flashes as the rockets leave the launcher.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Apr 02, 2011 11:54 pm 
Bearcat

RVN11B40 wrote:
Definitely should have been a movie!

Right after it was published, Steven Spielberg acquired an option on the movie rights to the book "Thunder Below" by Admiral Fluckey.

Spielberg commissioned several scripts, but they were all rejected for one reason or another.

The rights were subsequently acquired by John Wells , who produced the TV show "ER".

At one point someone from Wells company met with and video tape interviews with the surviving members of the Barb's crew from the 8th thru 12th patrols to get additional accounts from crew members and thier wives to suppliment the material in the book.

To date the project is still "in development" as far as I know.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Apr 03, 2011 11:58 am 
Hawkeye

jrichard,
Thanks for the xtra info. I thank your father and the rest of the crew for a job well done.
gramps

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 04, 2011 8:46 am 
Bearcat

jrichard beat me to the typewriter with the above information re. the 5 inch rocket. Just finished re-reading the book. Having read it a couple of years ago my memory got a bit fogged and for some reason I thought I remembered mortar. Not so, as jrichard pointed out. Just finished the book and on page 303 is the information on the above. I did enjoy reading it the second time around. The rescue of the Brit and Aussie POW's who had been on one of the ships that were sunk by the wolf pack that the Barb was part of, is special, being they were finally rescued in the begining of a Typhoon. Talk about going in harms way. Wow!

Run

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 04, 2011 8:54 am 
Bearcat

Question to jrichard? On page 384 is a photo of the team that went ashore Would you care to share what his name is. There are 8 members in the photo.
Runs