Grip question

Help Support Ruger Forum:

hvacmedic

Single-Sixer
I just picked up my new model 0669 yesterday. It looks cool, only problem was that while doing the paperwork I noticed that one of the grips was cracked from the screw back to the edge. The dealer said they would get me a new set, should take a couple weeks or so. My question is this, with these micarta grips is breakage like this a recurring problem that will happen again if I carry this gun much or did someone just go overboard at the factory tightening the screw. Anyway its a cool pistol. The dealer had it in the case when I stopped in to look around. Did a little haggling and only paid $479 for it cash so I thought it was to good to pass. It will fit nicely in the safe with my other single six convertibles.

ranger1

Buckeye
I just picked up my new 0669 a couple of days ago myself. We sure hope this isn't a consistant problem with the grips.... but after reading your post and the thread on Rimfire Central, it does create a cause for concern!

http://www.rimfirecentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=382800

hvacmedic

Single-Sixer
From the looks of mine I would say that the screw was over tightened. Sounds like the ones on rimfire central were beat around. Mine has just one crack going from screw bushing to the back of the grip. Anyway I've already ordered a set of black micarta that I think will go on primarily and save the replacements that the dealer is getting in for me.

REP1954

Blackhawk
A friend of mine had an OM Vaquero that came with grips made of the same material and had them break out around one of the screw holes and I received a NIB fixed sight Single Six 32 Mag. that came in the box with the same thing. Ruger didnt want to work with either one of us on replacing them which was a lillte sad. My friend swallowed his pride and ordered and paid for a set of wood grips from Ruger to replace them. Me I just got mad and made my first set of grips from scratch. The gun had the short frame and not to much was available in after market panels.

hvacmedic

Single-Sixer
If Ruger didn't want to work with you guy's then I'm glad I found the problem before I left the shop. Now the dealer can deal with it or pay for a new set. Anyway, after I ordered the black grips now I'm thinkin that I need a set of stag grips as well. Thats the problem with getting a new gun, the accessories are what adds up in the end!!

A

Anonymous

CraigC said:
You sure it's micarta and not just polymer? Micarta is pretty tough stuff.

That's sort of what I thought. I can't find a model 0669 on Ruger's website, but I'm guessing it has the black checkered grips? Those are just a hard rubber compound.

Hogue gets about $75 for their micarta grips, most of the woods are only $45, and I've always understood micarta was near indestructible.

I wish instead of the "acrylic polymer" grips, that someone would make solid ABS grips for the SAs. They would be tough and inexpensive.

CraigC

Hawkeye
I assumed it was the new short barrelled birdshead with faux ivory. Folks need to realize that not every certifiable Rugernut memorizes all the numbers. I've gone through three dozen myself but have no clue what all the model and SKU numbers are.

flatgate

Hawkeye
TALO

Limited Edition Bird's Head Single Six Convertible .22

One of 450

High polished stainless with fixed sight

3 3/4 inch barrel

Bird's Head Grip

Simulated Ivory

Model Number: 0669

Catalog Number: GKNRBH-3F-I

UPC Number: 7-36676-00669-4

Description: High polished stainless Single-Six with fix sights in .22LR with convertible .22MAG cylinder, birdshead grip, simulated ivory grips, and 3 ¾" barrel.

JOHN WAYNE Single-Six waiting in the wings....... :D

flatgate

Bkat

Blackhawk
CraigC said:
You sure it's micarta and not just polymer? Micarta is pretty tough stuff.

The faux ivory grips on the new 0669 aren't micarta, they are some kind of plastic/polymer. I've already swapped mine out for black micarta. The short-gripped .32 single-six came with the kind of faux ivory. As CraigC just remarked, micarta is very durable.

Bkat

singleshot

Single-Sixer
Okay, I just picked one of these up for the wife and in less than a second she wanted different grips.

What are my options with the birds head as far as grips go? Any good aftermarket grips out there? Will any singlesix birds head grip fit?

Thanks for any information and pardon the ignorance..

Singleshot

Bkat

Blackhawk
Singleshot, take a look at grips4guns.com. They have several materials, including rosewood, walnut and corian. I've never ordered any of their grips so can't vouch for them.

Ruger had black micarta, but I don't see them listed on the Ruger site anymore. That's what I put on my 0669, got them from CDNN a couple years ago. Birdshead grips for the vaquero will fit the single six.

Hopefully, one of our Ruger Forum gripmakers will start offering them.

Bkat

rjc2010

Bearcat
After reading this post, I looked at the 2 that I just picked up last week. Both of them have broken or cracked grips. One has been broken at the screw hole and the other is cracked in half on the left panel. Both had been tightened too much at the factory. It sounds like a quality issue to me. I'll be calling Ruger for some new grips. Thanks for the heads up.

reakin

Single-Sixer
If a person wanted to install a grip spacer for these, what is the correct size/length? And where does a person find these, hardware store (what would they be called, a ferrule?)

reakin

hvacmedic

Single-Sixer
Just got my replacement grips today. They looks great and it took less than 2 weeks to get them in. I also have a set of black micarta grips due to be delivered tomorrow. Found them on E-Bay for $45. The list said that there were 10 sets available if anyone is interested.

G2

Hunter
rug017-xl.jpg

http://www.buffalobrothers.net/grips/ruger_grips4.htm

alkpon

Bearcat
Those are beautiful grips.......I checked out the Buffalo Bros. link.
Couldn't help but laugh. It lists "with crack" or "no crack".
Y'all may have started something in the collectors' circle.......
"Is that a rare cracked grip model or plain grip model?"
Seriously, that is problem at factory which they need to address.

gunsbam69

Hunter
I know this is a REALLY old post, but just putting a feeler out for the ivoroid birdshead grips that came on these guns. I'm looking at one of these I just bought, and even though those old ivoroids are extremely brittle and fragile, I just like em and they fit my big paw good. I'm thinking about doing a .38 on one of the .327 Birdsheads, and would love to put some of the old ivoroids on it if anyone still has theirs setting around and wants to part with them.