Oregon Trail bullets in 44mag, lead or no lead?

Help Support Ruger Forum:

edfardos

Single-Sixer
I'm searching for my first 44mag bullets, and I'm between Berrys/Rainers and Oregon Trail. The former is plated which has it's own issues when it comes to crimping, the latter is hard-cast, which has it's own issues when it comes to lead fouling in the barrel.

I'd like to go with Oregon Trails, but almost exactly 50% of the reviews I've read for these indicate severe barrel Leading. The other 50% indicate almost no Leading what-so-ever. Reading between the lines, it looks like the recipies make a difference when it comes to barrel fouling, and that Oregon Trail bullets need to be pushed hard to prevent blowby which causes the excessive lead fouling (I guess the bullet makes a better seal with the bore with higher charges).

So having said that, if you use Oregon Trail, could you share your favorite pet loads and if you get Leading problems in the barrel of your 44mag?

thanks!
-edfardos

clintsfolly

Single-Sixer
The load is 2nd part! Fit is where leading is stopped or not! Check the cylinders throat and slug the barrel for dia. If the lead bullet is throat size and bigger then the barrel . Great chance of NO leading! Clint

Chief 101

Hunter
edfardos, I have 200gr and 240gr 44 Oregon Trail that I push easy and hard in my SBH. I don't remember if they are .430 or .431 but no leading. If you want I would be willing to sell you a small amount to try. I think you need to test load that is the only way to find out. The only powders I have used are 231, Unique, and Herco, all for 700-100fps loads. 2400 for upper level loads. I have time to cast my own these days so I don't use much of the factory made bullets anymore. Chief aka Maxx Load

edfardos

Single-Sixer
Thanks clint, so there's no way to really know until you try I guess. If anyone has a new Super Redhawk, and uses Oregon Trail 240grain bullets, please let us know. I'd like to think that Ruger has a pretty tight spec on their barrels, whereas past results might indicate future performance.

Also, if you have a pet load for this combo, I'd really like to try it.

thanks again!
-edfardos

don44

Hunter
I have used Oregon Trail bullets for a long time .430 and have never had a leading problem. I have used Universal and H110 and 2400 in SBH's, RH, Vaquero's and a S&W Mt Gun.They are a good bullet in MHO.

edfardos

Single-Sixer
Thanks again guys, so you can get Oregon Trail bullets in .430 and .431? Midwayusa has them in .431, so I might start with them, maybe just a box of 200 first (thanks for the samples offer Chief, but 200 isn't a gigantic commitment I guess).

I know a few powders have been mentioned already, but I might lean towards AA#9 or Bluedot based on some info Jimbo gave me. I'm still flexible tho, so if you've done the testing with OT240 and a SRH, please let me know your pet load :).

These are the OT bullets in question:
http://www.midwayusa.com/viewProduct/?productNumber=150058?cm_cat=Cart&cm_pla=ProductDesc

thanks,
-edfardos

Chief 101

Hunter
As I remember I was not too excited to see the "bevel base" on these but I had no leading or other problems, and they load easily.
Chief aka Maxx Load
guns.gif

edfardos

Single-Sixer
clintsfolly said:
If you can get .431 dia. bullet go for it! the load i use in my RH was a 250cast with 19/2400 /WLP . Clint

Ordered! thanks for the feedback.

It looks like 2400 and AA#9 are almost identical according to all the load data and anecdotal evidence I've been gathering. It looks like 19Grains of either would work perfectly under a 240grain laser-cast, and you just backed that up.

I'll probably start with a jar of AA#9 just because I'm familiar with AA and the fact that they're very fine powders makes them measure like water (I use AA#5 in my 40S&W's)

thanks again,
-edfardos

mattsbox99

Hunter
Well, its pretty hard for a jacketed bullet to lead. :)

I've loaded a couple thousand Berry's MFG bullets, I'm not aware of any crimping issues. I do strongly prefer Montana Gold bullets though.

www.montanagoldbullet.com

Jimbo357mag

Hawkeye
Lead bullets lead my barrels, some worse than others. That's why I have almost given up on shooting lead along with the fact that lubed lead bullets smoke a lot more. 8) 8)

...Jimbo

revhigh

Hawkeye
I regularly use 240 grain 44 mag OTLC, with a full house charge of 2400 and get ZERO leading. They're very stout loads which I really like and are supremely accurate. I got tired of shooting 50 cents worth of Hornady jacketed bullets into the ground every shot.

The Laser cast bullets are excellent. Load em HOT.

REV

Bucks Owin

Hunter
Jimbo357mag said:
Lead bullets lead my barrels, some worse than others. That's why I have almost given up on shooting lead along with the fact that lubed lead bullets smoke a lot more. 8) 8)

...Jimbo

You need some help by someone locally who is well versed in the ins and outs of cast bullet shooting. It's a shame you've had such bad luck with lead bullets, they are the quintessential sixgun projectile and a joy to shoot cheaply once fitted to your gun...

I reserve them "J word" bullets for varmit rifles at 3500+ fps, not for use in my sidearms. I plan on working out reduced GC lead loads in .243 and .270 too....Wanna see if I can hit 2500 fps accurately :shock:

JMO :wink:

edfardos

Single-Sixer
Bucks Owin said:
Jimbo357mag said:

...Jimbo

You need some help by someone locally who is well versed in the ins and outs of cast bullet shooting. It's a shame you've had such bad luck with l
JMO :wink:

So it sounds like an art, more than a science. For newbs like me, who don't cast, what can be done to prevent leading? The only variables in my control are the powder and primer. Ruger is in charge of the super redhawk design, and I'm at the mercy of projectile manufacturers. I recently learned that 44mag projectiles can possibly come in .429, .430, and .431 diameters, which is great, and I just chose the largest (.431) and I guess I'll just hope for the best when it comes to leading. Bigger obviously means a better seal, less blowby and less leading. Is there a downside to going too big? wont fit in a chamber perhaps? drag? pressure?

I'm infinitely curious now :)

SRH waiting period: 7days, 1 hour.

thanks,
-edfardos

Jimbo357mag

Hawkeye
I don't feel handicapped at all by not shooting a lot of lead bullets. I have and shoot lead sometimes (hard and soft lead) but because I shoot a lot of different loads in different guns at different power levels I find it much easier to use copper plated bullets for the most part. I don't have to worry about which load works best in which gun or anything like that. ...And they are priced reasonably, and as they say, different strokes... 8) 8)

...Jimbo

44shootist

Single-Sixer
I use Oregon trail in my 44 mags. just made more today.
I use Trailboss powder 6.1 grs. for plinker loads.

Have been getting zero leading in the barrel, but do get some fouling from the lube, and powder but still like the load and will use it more, it's a soft load feels like your shooting a 357 not much recoil.

Rclark

Hunter
For newbs like me, who don't cast, what can be done to prevent leading?
You can buy bullets from different vendors. For example Rimrock bullets are softer than the Oregon Trail bullets. Same with Penn bullets... While there is no 'fine tuning' (casting your own) there are choices out there!

So once you know you have the right bullet for the pressure and it still leads, it may be time to check for a constriction in your bore which means fire-lapping to remove it. Can be checked with Minus plug/pin gauges or slugging the bore. Check for under size throats first though.