MKIII 22/45 Grips

Help Support Ruger Forum:

GeorgeP

Single-Sixer
My Tech-Custom grips finally beat the bad weather and arrived. Yesterday I followed the instructions and got the new grip mounted. The fit perfectly as Dominic promised. If I were to do it again, I'd buy a 50 thread tap to tap out the drilled holes. I did finally get the screws to tap their own threads but it was tough. Really tough. A tap would have turned it into a 5 minute job instead of a hard hour.

As soon as the weather gets warmer...at least above 50...I'll take the gun to the range. It feels really good. A nice handfull for my long fingers. I got the rubberized coating so the gun feels firm in my grip.

capt.ruger

Bearcat
I bought a set of 1911 grips off E-bay and hollowed out the back with a dremel so they would fit over the existing molded polymer. I did not want to mill or grind the existing grip as it would pretty much ruin the looks of the gun if I messed up. Just go slow and check the fit often. Very little modification is needed to the rest of the grip. You can use bushings or simply screw the grips onto the frame. I've had no trouble after screwing them in. If trouble should develop someday I can install the bushings then.

GeorgeP

Single-Sixer
Update on the Tech-Custom grip installation. The grips went on as advertised. Perfect fit. The only issue I had was the rubberized surface made the grip a little thick at the slide release and mag release making then hard to operate. I took that one grip off and with a good quality file and emery cloth I worked the areas near the two released down to the point they were functional as before and the grip was not jeopardized. Plus, it still looks good...like it was made that way.

polseszczyk

Single-Sixer
Houge Colt Commander.

5370870532_2346fb1c2f_z.jpg

Samuel

GeorgeP

Single-Sixer
capt.ruger said:
I bought a set of 1911 grips off E-bay and hollowed out the back with a dremel so they would fit over the existing molded polymer. I did not want to mill or grind the existing grip as it would pretty much ruin the looks of the gun if I messed up. Just go slow and check the fit often. Very little modification is needed to the rest of the grip. You can use bushings or simply screw the grips onto the frame. I've had no trouble after screwing them in. If trouble should develop someday I can install the bushings then.

Dang, I was wondering if that would work! Are the grips wood or a molding of some sort? Do they come up high enough to help hold the hammer pin in place? Thanks.

Latest posts