Blackhawk .41 mag verses Super Blackhawk frame size

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Brian894x4

Bearcat
I have a newer stainless Super Blackhawk in .44 mag with 4-5/8 barrel. The gun is a bit heavy and bulky for woods carry.

I saw a new Blackhawk .41 mag at the local gun shop that looked like a really nice carry gun and would be great for the woods. It seemed smaller and lighter than my Super Blackhawk, but where I'm confused is that I've read that my 4-5/8 Super Blackhawk has the same frame as the regular Blackhawks.

Yet my Super Blackhawk feels much bulkier in the grip and far heavier overall. The Ruger website lists my model Super Blackhawk at 45 oz and the .41 mag Blackhawk I'm interested in at .38 oz. Where is the weight savings on the .41 mag Blackhawk if the frames are the same?

The reason I ask is if there's hardly any difference between the two guns, there's no point to me in buying the .41 mag. I'm looking for significant weight and grip and general size reduction.

Thanks for any insight.

BIgMuddy

Blackhawk
Brian

Yes the two guns have the same size frame, but your "Super" is all steel. The 41 has an aluminum alloy grip frame and ejector rod housing. There is also a little more weight with the non-fluted cylinder on your 44.

Soooo.......go buy that 41 and I hope you like it as much as I do mine. :D The 41 mag is a great cartridge.

There should not be much difference between the 41 Mag and the 44 Mag with the same barrel length. They are both made on the full size blackhawk frame. Maybe some grip frame differences in steel versus aluminum but if a lighter, trimmer gun is on your radar then I would suggest looking at the new Ruger flat top 44 Specials. They will handle the mojority of most guys handgunning needs and they are built on the midsized lighter frame. The other option is a custom conversion in 41 Mag on an old model 357 and you end up with a 41 Mag version of the 44 Special factory model.

41manor44

Single-Sixer
BIgMuddy said:
Brian

Yes the two guns have the same size frame, but your "Super" is all steel. The 41 has an aluminum alloy grip frame and ejector rod housing. There is also a little more weight with the non-fluted cylinder on your 44.

Soooo.......go buy that 41 and I hope you like it as much as I do mine. :D The 41 mag is a great cartridge.

What he said plus the 41 is a great flat shooting caliber. If your 41 is a NM like mine, the only thing I don't like is the internal lock in the grip.

Brian894x4

Bearcat
Thanks for the info, I didn't realize the .41 mag grip frame was aluminum.

Which models were aluminum and which were steel? It seems like most of the Blackhawks, even the .357 must be steel framed, based on the published weights.

Strangely, the .41 mag appears to be the lightest gun of the Blackhawk line up at .38 oz, which appears to be roughly the same weight as the 50th anniversary .357 mag.

Silent Sam

Blackhawk
I wouldn't bet the farm on listed weights. An aluminum vs a steel grip frame can make a big difference in the way a gun feels regardless of actual weight.

"I'm looking for significant weight and grip and general size reduction." - Go with a mid-frame gun.

Having said that I carry a blue 5 1/2" 45 Colt Blackhawk (aluminum GF & ERH) as easily as a 4 5/8" 357 Mag 50th or stainless 357 Mag New Vaquero (both all steel). How you carry, the holster and especially the belt can make all the difference. With the larger bores, "feel in the hand" can change depending on what you stuff in the cylinder :twisted:

flatgate

Hawkeye
In general the larger the holes in the barrel and cylinder the lighter the gun.

:D

Traditionally, the Ruger Blackhawk has been produced with an aluminum grip frame. Of course, Ruger being Ruger, there are exceptions.....

Super Blackhawks always have steel grip frames.

I'm not "up" on which models have steel ejector housings and which don't...... but, I bet someone here knows.

flatgate

Sugar River

Buckeye
Brian, it's a leap of faith to trust the factory listed weights.
Here's some real weights from a digital scale. (Multiply x 16 to get oz)

NM 41 BH 4 5/8 = 2.35
OM 41 BH 4 5/8 = 2.34
OM BH 4 5/8 44Sp conversion from 357 = 2.19
OM 44 FT 6.5 = 2.55
NM 50th 44 FT 6.5 = 2.91
OM BH 357 4 5/8 = 2.32
OM BH 357 6.5 = 2.49
OM FT 357 4 5/8 = 2.39
NM FT 44Sp 4 5/8 = 2.59
NM FT 44Sp 4 5/8 SS = 2.59
NM FT 44Sp Bisley 5.5 = 2.82

And just for reference:
FA M97 41 4 1/4 = 2.33

As you see, they ain't all the same!

Pete

Glupy

Blackhawk
Kuna, Idaho - a sparkling jewel in a park-like set
Let us remember that there is more to the decisions.

1) The 41 MAG is an odd enough caliber that the owner is more-or-less forced to reload. Reloading is fun and provides more options but it may be more than some people choose.

2) The middle option (as Silent Sam and Brian may have suggested) is to get hotter versions of the 44 Special or 45 Colt. Both are common reloading calibers but the 45 has more factory ammo options. They are both on the same frame as the 41. The 44S has a steel frame and the 45 has an aluminum one.

I have all three calibers but carry hot 45's when I walk in the Idaho woods. We have bears, wolves, mt lions, and 2-legged trouble makers.

I hope that I provided more options and didn't muddy the revolver waters.

Dave

Brian894x4

Bearcat
One thing I don't understand is if the shorter barrel Super Blackhawks are built on the Blackhawk frame, why bother calling them "Super" Blackhawks?

Are there any other differences between the short barrel Super Blackhawks and the all steel versions of the Blackhawk?

Silent Sam

Blackhawk
If you are asking why Ruger names things the way they do I think you'll need a witch doctor and a lot of chicken bones. It isn't usually very black and white and then later they'll come up with something that doesn't even follow the convention they seem to have previously set. Your frustration trying to figure out Blackhawk and Super Blackhawk variations is just the tip of the iceberg.

Brian894x4

Bearcat
I was able to borrow a friends Blackhawk .41 mag and detail compare it to my Super Blackhawk .44 mag and as most probably already know, the dimensions were indentical all the way around. The only difference I can see is aluminum grip frame. In fact, it looks like all the parts between the two guns are essentially interchangable.

I'm sure people will think I'm nuts, but does anyone sell aluminum grip frames? I can find plenty of steel and stainless steel grip frames for sale, but no new aluminum ones. Was thinking of swapping one on the .44 mag. I only shoot lower recoil stuff out of it anyway. Not full house. But would like to lighten it up a bit.

Thanks for all your answers and insight.

BIgMuddy

Blackhawk
Brian

Post a WTB for a new model aluminum XR3-RED grip frame and I bet you will find one. If your Super has a steel ejector rod housing you may want an aluminum version of that as well.

If you want the change to be permanent I am sure you could post as WTT for your parts.

The aluminum grip frame won't affect how heavy the gun will take, but it may make a difference on what You can. :D

Dan