Lee Classic Loader Kit

Help Support Ruger Forum:

cbass

Single-Sixer
I was thinking about getting into reloading and was wondering about the Lee Classic Loader Kit system. I will be reloading .38, .357, and 9mm.

Has anyone used it? Is it good? Or should I save up for a full press system?

GP100man

Buckeye
I started with 1 beating the heck out of it on my front door steps & when I finally bought a press I was mezmarized at the ease of reloading !!

Go ahead if possible & spend the $$ on a single stage press , dies & a set of quality scales to get started on & get the basic fundamentals down !!

Put a WTB in the classifieds , alot of good equipment lying around from people with changing priorities or upgraded to bigger, faster equipment !!

I still have my lee loaders there in my bugout bag !!!

Jimbo357mag

Hawkeye
I think the best way to start after reading a lot is to get one of the starter kits with most of what you are going to need. The press with dies, powder measure and scale are the big 3 plus the primer seater a set of calipers and maybe a tumbler and case trimmer. :shock: :D

...Jimbo

Lost Sheep

Single-Sixer
Welcome to the forum and welcome to reloading. Thanks for asking our advice.

My advice: A press, if you are intent on loading more than 50 rounds at a sitting. Knocking brass in and out of those dies with a mallet is noisy, tiring and slow. I have used the kits and have one for each of my calibers. But I don't use them any more. I just keep them on principle. Not sure what principle, but I keep them anyway.

The little kit does turn out fine ammo, though, and fits in a very small space.

If you have a budget of anywhere near $100 or so, you can get into reloading and expand your equipment list as funds permit.

Go get a large mug of coffee, tea, hot chocolate, whatever you keep on hand when you read and think and read through these.

The first one goes against conventional wisdom, but I think, is an interesting approach.

"Budget Beginning bench you will never outgrow for the novice handloader". This was informed by my recent (July 2010) repopulation of my loading bench. It is what I would have done 35 years ago if I had known then what I know now.
http://rugerforum.net/reloading/293...you-will-never-outgrow-novice-handloader.html

The "sticky" thread at the top of TheFiringLine's reloading forum is good, entitled, "For the New Reloader: Equipment Basics -- READ THIS FIRST "
http://thefiringline.com/forums/showthread.php?t=230171

The "sticky" thread at the top of TheHighRoad.com's reloading forum is good, entitled, "For the New Reloader: Thinking about Reloading; Equipment Basics -- READ THIS FIRST"
http://www.thehighroad.org//showthread.php?t=238214

Thread entitled "Newby needs help."
http://thefiringline.com/forums/showthread.php?t=430391
My post 11 is entitled "Here's my reloading setup, which I think you might want to model" November 21, 2010)
My post 13 is "10 Advices for the novice handloader" November 21, 2010)

The first draft of my "10 Advices..." is on page 2 of this thread, about halfway down.
http://www.rugerforum.com/phpBB/viewtopic.php?t=13543

or if the links do not work, paste these into your browser

rugerforum.net/reloading/29385-budget-beginning-bench-you-will-never-outgrow-novice-handloader.html

thefiringline.com/forums/showthread.php?t=230171

thehighroad.org//showthread.php?t=238214

thefiringline.com/forums/showthread.php?t=430391

rugerforum.com/phpBB/viewtopic.php?t=13543

Good luck. Always wear eye protection, especially when working with primers and don't pinch your fingers in your press. Be safe. Always, all ways.

thegiantmidget

Bearcat
There classic is a good learning experience, but if I could do it again, I'd have started with a single stage. I recently upgraded if you're interested in a Lee single stage, I'll quote you a kind price.

Lost Sheep

Single-Sixer
cbass said:
I was thinking about getting into reloading and was wondering about the Lee Classic Loader Kit system. I will be reloading .38, .357, and 9mm.

Has anyone used it? Is it good? Or should I save up for a full press system?
You don't have to get a full "system" right away.

Consider buying only a press, die(s) and the cheapest of powder meters, to start reloading and add more gear only after you are sure of what brand/type you want.

One needs a press and dies because fingers are not strong or accurate enough to form metal. For safety, one needs something to mete powder accurately. Everything else can wait.

Don't scrimp on the press. Choose the type and brand of press wisely and you will not have to switch types or brands until your shooting habits change greatly. Don't scrimp on the dies, either. The same reasoning applies. Trading up (or down) is almost always a money-losing act.

Scales are pricey, so scrimping here makes sense. The Lee Powder Dippers are as consistent at measuring out powder as your average powder thrower and the table that comes with them gives a fair approximation of the weight you get. Their low cost means you can afford to use them and then retire them (if you want) after you get the powder thrower and scale you ultimately want.

Everything else you need can be temporarily substituted for by expedient methods (e.g., paper towel vs case lube pad) or done without (e.g. bullet puller is not needed until you actually have a cartridge that needs its bullet pulled, and even then cartridges can be set aside until later).

Of course, a couple of good loading manuals and good eye protection goes without saying, but I am saying it anyway. If you are going to "make do" with with expedient methods, a good dose of common sense is absolutely required.

Lost Sheep

cbass

Single-Sixer
Thanks for all the good info. My Father in Law advised me against the Lee Classic Loader as well. He said unless I was in some kind of on the run survival scenario I would do better to get a press. He also said that I could come over and use his anytime I wanted. Being that he is only 5 miles away that should save me a ton of money, since he already has all the hardware I will need.

Thanks again for all the advice.