RugerForum.com

This is a Ruger Firearms enthusiast's forum, but it is in no way affiliated with, nor does it represent Sturm Ruger & Company Inc. of Southport, CT.
It is currently Sat Oct 25, 2014 6:36 am

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jan 22, 2011 12:57 pm 
Single-Sixer

Gun Fan 70 wrote:
Cool link. That does look a lot safer than milling the frame. That would make me a little nervous as well.

I ordered some grip bushings, both normal and thin line (not as tall). I'm going to use the recommended way of installing the new grips but will have the bushing ready if I feel threading the screws into the polymer frame isn't stronge enough. Unfortunately, grip screws/bushings are #50 thread so they aren't easy to find in your hardware store. I don't have a gunsmith near me (100 miles to nearest) so I had to order them.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jan 23, 2011 9:35 pm 
Bearcat

GeorgeP wrote:
I ordered some grip bushings, both normal and thin line (not as tall). I'm going to use the recommended way of installing the new grips but will have the bushing ready if I feel threading the screws into the polymer frame isn't stronge enough. Unfortunately, grip screws/bushings are #50 thread so they aren't easy to find in your hardware store. I don't have a gunsmith near me (100 miles to nearest) so I had to order them.

You won't be able to use the bushings with those grips you ordered but if you drill the holes right the screws are more than adequate to hold it tight. I originally ordered those and they were an improvement for sure but I really like how the hogue wrap around grips looked. So a few days ago I started in on filing the grips down. I was a little impatient and it turned out far from perfect but I am satisfied with the results. Just got the grips mounted on today.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 25, 2011 9:42 am 
Single-Sixer

Keith81, those are really are nice looking grips. Are they 1911 or made for the 22/45? Did the previous screw holes line up or did you have to drill new holes? And you are still not using bushings? Sorry for all the questions but I love playing/hacking with my 22/45 and you've shown me another way...Thanks.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 25, 2011 4:47 pm 
Single-Sixer

They look like Pachmeyer (copy) grips for a standard 1911. The grips on my gun are Pachmayr American Legend grips that I bought for my Gold Cup and they fit perfect on my 22/45.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 25, 2011 9:28 pm 
Bearcat

GeorgeP wrote:
Keith81, those are really are nice looking grips. Are they 1911 or made for the 22/45? Did the previous screw holes line up or did you have to drill new holes? And you are still not using bushings? Sorry for all the questions but I love playing/hacking with my 22/45 and you've shown me another way...Thanks.

They are Hogue Colt 1911 wrap around grips. I found them on Amazon for $30 or so.

You have to use the bushings with these since the 1911 screws are barely long enough to touch the frame. It was fairly easy since the holes from the other grips are in the right spot. I just drilled the holes larger till I was able to thread the bushings in and then used a little JB Weld to make sure they wouldn't pull out when tightening the grips. The worst part of the whole thing was getting the grips filed down.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 11, 2011 10:32 am 
Single-Sixer

My Tech-Custom grips finally beat the bad weather and arrived. Yesterday I followed the instructions and got the new grip mounted. The fit perfectly as Dominic promised. If I were to do it again, I'd buy a 50 thread tap to tap out the drilled holes. I did finally get the screws to tap their own threads but it was tough. Really tough. A tap would have turned it into a 5 minute job instead of a hard hour.

As soon as the weather gets warmer...at least above 50...I'll take the gun to the range. It feels really good. A nice handfull for my long fingers. I got the rubberized coating so the gun feels firm in my grip.

Post subject: Volquartsen Custom
PostPosted: Wed Mar 02, 2011 10:15 pm 
Bearcat

Here is another good source for Mark III grips.

Volquartsen Custom

https://www.volquartsen.com/category/31-mkii-amp-mkiii-grips/6-mkiii

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 03, 2011 12:15 am 
Bearcat

I bought a set of 1911 grips off E-bay and hollowed out the back with a dremel so they would fit over the existing molded polymer. I did not want to mill or grind the existing grip as it would pretty much ruin the looks of the gun if I messed up. Just go slow and check the fit often. Very little modification is needed to the rest of the grip. You can use bushings or simply screw the grips onto the frame. I've had no trouble after screwing them in. If trouble should develop someday I can install the bushings then.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 03, 2011 10:42 am 
Single-Sixer

Update on the Tech-Custom grip installation. The grips went on as advertised. Perfect fit. The only issue I had was the rubberized surface made the grip a little thick at the slide release and mag release making then hard to operate. I took that one grip off and with a good quality file and emery cloth I worked the areas near the two released down to the point they were functional as before and the grip was not jeopardized. Plus, it still looks good...like it was made that way.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 03, 2011 8:31 pm 
Single-Sixer

Houge Colt Commander.

Samuel

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 04, 2011 8:53 am 
Single-Sixer

capt.ruger wrote:
I bought a set of 1911 grips off E-bay and hollowed out the back with a dremel so they would fit over the existing molded polymer. I did not want to mill or grind the existing grip as it would pretty much ruin the looks of the gun if I messed up. Just go slow and check the fit often. Very little modification is needed to the rest of the grip. You can use bushings or simply screw the grips onto the frame. I've had no trouble after screwing them in. If trouble should develop someday I can install the bushings then.

Dang, I was wondering if that would work! Are the grips wood or a molding of some sort? Do they come up high enough to help hold the hammer pin in place? Thanks.