GP100 What load for Bear & Cougar

Help Support Ruger Forum:

rino

Bearcat
I just got a new GP100 357mag to use when Im in the woods with my Grandkids. Im in the Pacific NW so the largest I might encounter could be a Big Foot. My SP101 short barrel just isnt acurate out to a safe distance.
Now I dont want to have to shoot either of this animals with a handgun but Im not going to pack a rifle all the time and I dont want to change to a larger caliber. I was shooting 357mag 158 gr today and I can handle these but it does kick a bunch. I will try some 180 gr also to see how it feels. So, what type of bullet should I use in either 158 or 180. thanks

45flattop

Single-Sixer
For game that potentially dangerous when you can't carry a rifle,
I'd look at Buffalo Bore's offerings in .357. Personally I would look
for the heaviest bullet weight I could find at the highest possible
muzzle velocity available within pressure limitations.

http://www.buffalobore.com/index.php?l=product_list&c=20

As a possible secondary source you might look at CorBon's
offerings:

http://www.corbon.com/

Pal Val

Buckeye
An 180 gr hardcast bullet in a .357 mag is as hard as you can hit. Problem is that that is not as hard as even a light .44 mag. If that's a big bear, you may be on the light side.

I'm in the East, and the biggest bear is still within a .357's capability to stop. I carry a GP100 loaded with 180 grainers when fishing and hiking in the woods where bears are known to roam. The worst predators here are on two legs, and for them that's plenty of gun.

roaddog28

Single-Sixer
45flattop said:

offerings:

+1 on Buffalobore.
Good luck,
Howard

Stump Buster

Single-Sixer
roaddog28 said:
45flattop said:

offerings:

+1 on Buffalobore.
Good luck,
Howard

+2...If your only handgun is the GP-100! Be safe and have fun out there!!! :wink:

harrydog

Bearcat
Pal Val said:
An 180 gr hardcast bullet in a .357 mag is as hard as you can hit. Problem is that that is not as hard as even a light .44 mag. If that's a big bear, you may be on the light side.
The Buffalo Bore .357 180 gr hard cast full power rounds have approximately the same energy as the Buffalo Bore .44 240 gr lower recoiling rounds. I agree that a full power .44 magnum would be a better choice for brown bear or grizzly bear but those BB .357 hardcast bullets pack a tremendous punch and could probably get the job done.

Doc Mark

Single-Sixer
harrydog said:
Pal Val said:
The Buffalo Bore .357 180 gr hard cast full power rounds have approximately the same energy as the Buffalo Bore .44 240 gr lower recoiling rounds. I agree that a full power .44 magnum would be a better choice for brown bear or grizzly bear but those BB .357 hardcast bullets pack a tremendous punch and could probably get the job done.

+1 on this line of thinking. Back when first I used to carry a bear gun, it was a .41 mag, and remains so to this day, unless it's Alaska, then a .454 Casull FA gets the nod. But, my little brother only had a Ruger Security Six, and he used to backpack with my wife and I. So, we went to the range and worked up and hottest load for his Ruger, using a very hard cast 180 Keith type bullet, and as much Blue Dot as was safe and practical in his specific Ruger. It kicked a good bit, but was fairly accurate, and my Bro was very happy with it. For a .357, it hit hard, and though he never had to shoot a bear to see how it would work, he felt safer carrying it. For what it's worth.... Take care, and God Bless!

Every Good Wish,
Doc

rino

Bearcat
Thanks everyone, No gizzlys out here and no huge bears. We have seen a cougar. I will be practicing to protect the family. I have always carried my SP101 but knew it was only going to work if they were right next to me. Some of you that have shot your GP100 6" a lot,, what distance are you comfortable with to hit in a 6" circle. No scopes please. Say you had to bring in a deer to eat to survive. 50 yards?

Sal1950

Blackhawk
Off hand shot?
50 yards MIGHT be doable in a hunting or target situation for a well trained handgunner, with plenty of time to concentrate on the shot BUT facing down a bear or cougar ????.
25 yards is a more reasonable distance for that kind of accuracy but I still wouldn't want to bet the farm on it under said circumstances.
Sal

Bucks Owin

Hunter
I too would go with a 170-180 grain hardcast or a JSP. In reality, a round into the dirt at their feet would likely scare either critter into the next county. I'd be more wary of the two legged predators and your .357 with most any load would handle that....JMO

mike7mm08

Buckeye
I carry a smith 686 as my woods gun. I reload cast performance 180 grain hardcast. I use a max load of AA#9 for around 1200 fps. When in big woods of northern Wisconsin wolves are the heaviest concentration of four legged nasties that worry me. They seem to have little fear of people.Sure we have black bears which seem to avoid people and cougars are almost nonexistent.

I am confident this load could handle any of the three if needed. I know for sure this will penetrate very well. From about 30 yards I put a round through a car door,steel on both sides,through the center console and found it embedded in the arm rest of the drivers door about three inches. Bullet could of been reloaded it was in such good shape.As for accuracy I can cover two cylinders worth of shots with my hand at fifty yards. Surprisingly recoil is very mild.

I am sure a bigger caliber may be a better choice. But I would rather carry something I have confidence in. Most of the time I am in the woods in the southern half of the state.The odds are greater I will need the gun for two legged nasties down here. The only time I have pulled the pistol in defense was against a person.

Jimbo357mag

Hawkeye
Federal makes a popular 180gr cast-core gas check hunting round.

http://www.midwayusa.com/viewProduct/default.aspx?productNumber=671546

...Jimbo

5of7

Hunter
In the 6" GP100, my 180 gr. load is a 180 gr. Rem. HP, 14 gr. AA9, Rem case, CCI 500 primer and as OAL of 1.635". this load gets me an average of 1226 fps and it shoots well.

The 200 gr. cast load is a 200 Gr. Cast performance gas check, 12 gr. AA9, Rem case, CCI500 primer, OAL of 1.615" . Velocity averages 1264 and it too shoots quite well.

Now these longer bullets of more than 180 grains stabilize OK for target work, but I have no idea how stable they would be when they enter the much denser medium of bone and muscle, so before I tried them on heavier game, I would want some sort of proof that they would penetrate in a straight line.

These loads are HOT. Not so hot as to damage the gun, but case life due to stretching is evidence that the pressures are getting up there.

Start lower and proceed with caution and you should have no problems.....at least in the GP100.

Tony_The_Liger

Bearcat
How about this one?

CORBON began as a custom bullet-making company; we made bullets for hunters going to Africa to hunt the Big 5 with a handgun. CORBON's Bonded Core Soft Points are designed to retain their weight and stay together while crushing through heavy bone and tissue in large game. CORBON's Penetrator and Hard Cast loads are designed for very large, tough-skinned and heavy-boned animals. The Penetrator loads use a heavy, full jacket with a hard linotype core. The Hard Cast load is made from a hard linotype lead with a proven LBT nose design. These two loads cause a through-and-through hole, breaking even the heaviest bones. Our customers have taken large game such as Moose, Brown Bear and Cape Buffalo with our Hard Cast and Penetrator loads.
Caliber: 357 Mag
Bullet Wt.: 200gr CORBON Hunter HC
Velocity: 1150fps
Energy: 587ftlbs
Test Barrel Length: 6.0 Inches

20 rounds per box.
American Made.
American Owned.

WESHOOT2

Hunter
5of7 said:
In the 6" GP100, my 180 gr. load is a 180 gr. Rem. HP, 14 gr. AA9, Rem case, CCI 500 primer and as OAL of 1.635". this load gets me an average of 1226 fps and it shoots well.

The 200 gr. cast load is a 200 Gr. Cast performance gas check, 12 gr. AA9, Rem case, CCI500 primer, OAL of 1.615" . Velocity averages 1264 and it too shoots quite well.

Now these longer bullets of more than 180 grains stabilize OK for target work, but I have no idea how stable they would be when they enter the much denser medium of bone and muscle, so before I tried them on heavier game, I would want some sort of proof that they would penetrate in a straight line.

These loads are HOT. Not so hot as to damage the gun, but case life due to stretching is evidence that the pressures are getting up there.

Start lower and proceed with caution and you should have no problems.....at least in the GP100.

(Those bullets --the 187 and 200g CP-- travel straight after impact.....)

Latest posts