SSK .451-325-PB for 454 Casull (7.5 Super Redhawk)?

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Quarterbore

Blackhawk
I have a 250-gr Keith mold for the 45 Colt and I really like it but I have been getting the itch to move up from my heavy 45 Colts to real Full Power 454 Loads in my Super Redhawk and as long as I am starting to cast I figure buying lead is a whole lot cheaper then buying bullets! I am not sure exactly what I want but the bullet will be used for Deer and possibly Bear hunting here in PA. I figure I am looking for a clear upgrade from the 250gr KT so I expect I want to get 300gr or heavier.

I know SSK used to make an excellent 335gr big game bullet mold and I am curious if anybody has experience with it? I found that NEI still makes and sells the mold for SSK (.451-325-PB #320A)

451-325-pb.jpg

I have never ordered a bullet mold from NEI so their online catalog and ordering page has me a bit confused but I figure I want a 2-cavity mold but it looks like it is the same price for either a 2, 3 or 4 cavity so perhaps I should just buy the 4 Cavity? I figure if I am spending close to $200 I might as well spend the extra $25 and get the Meehanite too -- oppinions?

http://www.neihandtools.com/online_order.html

Anyways, before I spend about $200 - $250 on a bullet mold, is there anything else I should consider? Anybody see a reason this would not be a good choice for the SRH (bullet length, design, etc.)?

I obviously don't need a ton of options, just one good bullet and this is the one I am leaning towards but funds are tight so I am trying to measure twice and spend once!

Thanks for any advise!

--------------------------
EDIT a little review of the bullet:

http://www.sixguns.com/crew/sskbullets.htm

#320A drops from the blocks at 335 grain when cast of WW alloy (linotype weight is listed as 325 grains), is .875" long and has a meplat diameter of .300" (just for reference, this is almost exactly halfway between the 429421 and the 454424). The 335 grain slug loaded on top of 21.0 grains of Winchester 296 leaves a 7 ½" Ruger Bisley Blackhawk at 1245 fps, and provides exceptional accuracy (12 shot groups of 1 ¼" or less are not unusual). Like its .44 Magnum "little brother", this bullet penetrates like a jack-hammer. It punches through heavy, dense, creosote-saturated railroad ties like they're not even there.

Chief 101

Hunter
I had the .430 version of that SSK mold in 330 gr and it shot great in SBH 44mag. I sold the mold last year for more than I paid new. If it were me I would buy the 1 or 2 cavity in either Meehanite or aluminum. Their alloy blocks are very good so not to worry about that. I have used 4 cavity molds but the weights can vary between cavities quite a bit, causing some extra sorting to get good accuracy.
I do believe you could make clean kills on railroad ties with proper shot placement. Chief aka Maxx Load
guns.gif

flhr62

Single-Sixer
That dia. seems a little small to me. I think I would want one a little bigger. You can always size down.

Koveras

Bearcat
If you are open to using gas checks and are looking for a cheaper mold, the Lee C452-300-RF shoots great out of my SRH in 454, and costs about $20. I run velocities around 1350 fps with it. I have no desire to push it beyond that level.

I'm not sure how well the plain base on the NEI bullet will handle the 454 pressure with most alloys if you do indeed go to "real Full Power 454 Loads" as you state. I suppose linotype might work for that purpose, but it is kinda pricey right now.

tek4260

Buckeye
Why not go ahead and call Veral and get a LBT mould? I have a 325 Keith from him and it is great and was a lot less than the prices you quoted. Actually I think it was like $75 off the sale page. I would consider a gas check if I were going to go full power with the 454. Others may disagree.

Also check here

www.castboolits.gunloads.com

Tons of info there

bigboredad

Blackhawk
check out accuratemolds.com He is very reasonable and if you don't see what you like he can make what ever you want in whatever diameter you want

Quarterbore

Blackhawk
Thanks for the advice and yea that mold I was looking at (assuming I am reading the prices correctly) does seem very, very expensive and I welcome the advice about the gas checks. I have never worked with gas checks so I will have to study that a bit before I buy anything. I have a buddy that has a 460 Smith and I am sure he would love to share some casting time so I don't want to be at the edge with bullet capacity with the 454 as he pushes bullets faster then I do.

Thanks again, more looking and measuring before I buy time!

tek4260

Buckeye
I am new to casting as well and I don't really know the whole story on gas checks. I have a 260gr 45 Keith GC mould and have cast and checked a few but have never loaded any. I think it is like a badge of accomplishment or something for people to run boolits fast without checks, so many will say you don't need them. I think they will help with shortcomings with alloy, lube, ect. Especially at top end 454, so I'll go ahead and recommend them as a JIC. The only downside is that they are expensive. But if you are casting, you will save enough to make up for it. If you want I could send you some LBT 325 Keiths sized to .452 and you can load them to top end to see if you get leading. That way you will know weather to get GC or not. PM address if you are interested.

GAR

Single-Sixer
I just sold a 45cal 325gr WFN LBT mold the other day. It was of a gas check design. Do not own a 454 but they do work good in a 45colt.

I had talked to Veral at LBT about the mold before purchasing it. His recommendation was stiff charges of 296/H110 to ensure stability. The WFN loose accuracy faster than the LFN.

I do have some freshly cast if you might be interested.

Tom

Quarterbore

Blackhawk
Thanks for the offers to share a few bullets and I am not in a position to load right now as my work area is in shambles and my reloading stuff is all boxed up. Let me get setup and perhaps we might try doing a bullet exchange as I have half a dozen or more molds I have bought --- just starting to cast.

I also need to buy my own lubesizer as I had to use a friends with the first batch of bullets I did before I do much more. I just realize I lack a big bullet for the hand cannon so I am looking so I can try to work on a load this summer.

flhr62

Single-Sixer
You could also get a Lee sizer and liquid Alox instead of the lubrisizer. I have both, but I use the Lee sizers the most

Latest posts