Why did Ruger discontinue making the .44Mag carbine semiauto

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Rugerhunter

Bearcat
I am just interested in knowing why.

They have produced it in Lever, and are making a rotary mag bolt.

But is there a definite reason they don't make the semi-auto any more. It seems like they would sell thousands of them if they did it again.

thanks

mrwickwire

Bearcat
I have often asked this same question. The only reply was that it simply cost Ruger too much to make this rifle.

However, I agree with you, this would be a HOT seller. Maybe Ruger wants to pace themselves, so that they do not sell too many guns at once and exceed their capacity to produce.

Jimbo357mag

Hawkeye
According to the Ruger website http://ruger.com/service/productHistory.html# they stopped production on the .44 Carbine in 1985. The .44 caliber Deerfield was made from 2000 to 2006. The 77/44 bolt gun was made from 1995 to 2005 and started again in 2009. I think they could possibly bring the Deerfield back again. It does make a great pig gun as does the 96/44 lever-action. :shock: :D

...Jimbo

buck460XVR

Bearcat
Why did Ruger discontinue making the .44Mag carbine semiauto

We live in a Capitalistic society driven by supply vs demand, limited by what the public is willing to pay. Same reason Ford quit making the Edsel. Sure there were some that loved it, and some that wish they would have continued to make it, but without a profit to be made, why would they?

pisgah

Buckeye
Ruger has produced several models, the .44 carbines among them, that either A) just didn't sell well enough to continue making, or B) cost too much to make, even if they sold great (a la the Security Six).

Old Judge Creek

Single-Sixer
I have 16 Rugers in my battery. i have three 44 magnum rifles in my battery: a Marlin 94 Cowboy Limited, a Marlin 1894 Carbine, and a Rossi 92 Trapper. They have capacities of 13, 10, and 8 rounds, respectively.

For hunting, trail running, prospecting, or just a handy rifle, they're the kitties whiskers and each holds enough ammo in the magazine such that a simple belt slide with another 10 rounds of ammo keeps me 'good ta go' all day long - or even longer if need be.

Please note that none of my 44 mag rifles are Rugers. The Ruger 44 mag Deerfield is picky, picky, picky, picky about what ammo it likes; requires using magazines; magazines with only 4 round capacity; and has a stock that's too clunky for saddle scabbard use or easy packing'.

Even then, had Ruger offered a 10 round mag, I would have simply HAD to have one in my battery.

Ruger simply missed the boat with the Deerfield, IMO.

YMMV but I could care less <yawn>

mattsbox99

Hunter
The Deerfield is not picky about what ammo it chews through, maybe the older carbine, but not the Deerfield.

I bet I can reload a magazine way quicker than you can a lever gun. I've owned quite a few lever guns, none of them ever left me with much of a thumbnail. Also, the Deerfield is as light as any lever gun, has good iron sights (far better than ANY marlin, whinechester, or rossi ever had). It is marginally wider than a lever gun, but has no lever to get in the way of prone shooting either.

Clearly a case of bias and misinformation you are trying to pass off there OJC. :roll:

Old Judge Creek

Single-Sixer
I never considered the Deerfield any more or less "tactical" than my lever action rifles.

My post gents, was my old man's personal opinion... I'm entitled to that am I not?

My apologies if i stepped on yer bunions.

:lol: :lol: :lol:

Edited because I did not intend to up any controversy.....

patrickjames

Single-Sixer
Lamplighter said:
In the early 90's, I goofed up and sold a Heckler & Koch SL7 for approx. $600 with xtra mags.

My Deerfield isn't going anywhere.

Man, can I relate. I'm almost to the point I don't sell Rugers. I like Ruger No.1's and don't know from year to year what will be discontinued.

joihan777

Bearcat
Old Judge Creek said:
...had Ruger offered a 10 round mag, I would have simply HAD to have one in my battery.

Ruger simply missed the boat with the Deerfield, IMO....
I know a bit late to the conversation, but I thought it quite the interesting question.

I want a small carbine that can thump a black bear, deer, hog, or for home defense. I also want ammunition interchangeability with a decent revolver and in a popular North American caliber. Lastly, it should have decent accuracy at 100 yds.

It seems the .44 Rem. Mag. is a very good fit for my criteria.

Finding out about the Ruger 99/44 Deerfield was great until I realized Ruger stopped making them! Now they are hard to come by and worth MORE than when new!
I hope Ruger considers starting this model again, as it is an excellent addition to the Super Redhawks/ Blackhawks out there.

I agree with above quote, a 10 round, magazine fed Deerfield would be great and a *perfect* fit for me. Anyone who hikes deep mountains should carry "worst case scenario" firearms in case of inescapable bear attack IMHO. Ruger may want to offer a "Mossy Oak" finish while they're at it!

A Deerfield in .500 S&W might be catchy too, especially up north :wink:

pisgah

Buckeye
Why did S&W discontinue the Triple-Lock .44 Special? It was, and is, hailed as possibly the finest revolver ever made, and it was chambered for a cartridge that had, and has, an enthusiastic and vociferous following. So, why?

Well, it was expensive to build and, despite all the ballyhoo, never sold all that well.

Ditto for the Ruger .44 Carbine.

chet15

Hawkeye
The profit margin in the .44 Carbine was not very good, yes it did cost a lot to make that one. They had the only receiver that I know of that Ruger machined from solid blocks of steel instead of investment casting.
The .44 Carbine also had an issue with splitting buttstocks, because of the way recoil operated through the butt and mainspring.
Chet15

dfletcher

Blackhawk
joihan777 said:
Old Judge Creek said:
...had Ruger offered a 10 round mag, I would have simply HAD to have one in my battery.

I know a bit late to the conversation, but I thought it quite the interesting question.

I want a small carbine that can thump a black bear, deer, hog, or for home defense. I also want ammunition interchangeability with a decent revolver and in a popular North American caliber. Lastly, it should have decent accuracy at 100 yds.

It seems the .44 Rem. Mag. is a very good fit for my criteria.

Finding out about the Ruger 99/44 Deerfield was great until I realized Ruger stopped making them! Now they are hard to come by and worth MORE than when new!
I hope Ruger considers starting this model again, as it is an excellent addition to the Super Redhawks/ Blackhawks out there.

I agree with above quote, a 10 round, magazine fed Deerfield would be great and a *perfect* fit for me. Anyone who hikes deep mountains should carry "worst case scenario" firearms in case of inescapable bear attack IMHO. Ruger may want to offer a "Mossy Oak" finish while they're at it!

A Deerfield in .500 S&W might be catchy too, especially up north :wink:

I've not had a Deerfield but did have the 99/44. Accuracy was middle of the road and losing brass just bugs the heck out of me. I have a 96/44 and it's fine, accuracy is again just OK.

For the above kind of set up I think the Marlin 1894 and a handgun in the same caliber are great. I have an octagon barreled 1894 in 45 Colt, it's equipped with a Lyman 17 globe front and an adjustable peep rear sight. Anything larger than a soup can is a pretty easy target up to 150 yds. Handloads of course really boost the 45 Colt quite a bit.

Jim Puke

Hunter
chet15 said:
The profit margin in the .44 Carbine was not very good, yes it did cost a lot to make that one. They had the only receiver that I know of that Ruger machined from solid blocks of steel instead of investment casting.
The .44 Carbine also had an issue with splitting buttstocks, because of the way recoil operated through the butt and mainspring.
Chet15

And, it was not really popular with the folks buying guns during it's production. It suffered a similar fate of the lever action rifles of that era...they could not compete for market share with the up and coming bolt-action rifles.

captainkirk

Blackhawk
Old Judge Creek said:
I have 16 Rugers in my battery. i have three 44 magnum rifles in my battery: a Marlin 94 Cowboy Limited, a Marlin 1894 Carbine, and a Rossi 92 Trapper. They have capacities of 13, 10, and 8 rounds, respectively.

For hunting, trail running, prospecting, or just a handy rifle, they're the kitties whiskers and each holds enough ammo in the magazine such that a simple belt slide with another 10 rounds of ammo keeps me 'good ta go' all day long - or even longer if need be.

Please note that none of my 44 mag rifles are Rugers. The Ruger 44 mag Deerfield is picky, picky, picky, picky about what ammo it likes; requires using magazines; magazines with only 4 round capacity; and has a stock that's too clunky for saddle scabbard use or easy packing'.

Even then, had Ruger offered a 10 round mag, I would have simply HAD to have one in my battery.

Ruger simply missed the boat with the Deerfield, IMO.

YMMV but I could care less <yawn>

Have to agree with you on the carbines. A lever action will let you "top up" your mag without having to pull it from the gun. You can also shoot specials and lighter loaded mags. Not to mention the plethora of cast bullets that the "levers" can handle that a gas-gun would eventually choke on.

Gas operated carbines for rimmed pistol cartridges are a bit of a niche market. No more, no less.

captainkirk - another 2c to the aurgument

ArmedinAZ

Buckeye
joihan777 said:
Old Judge Creek said:

Only about 2 years..... but hey, better late than never. :wink: Recently bought a .44 Carbine, on the fence about it so far.

chet15

Hawkeye
There's always going to be demand for the original .44 Carbine though, as referenced by the higher and higher prices these are achieving. If Ruger only made a few hundred a year they could sell every one of them, but as mentioned, not enough $ in it for them.
Chet15

Latest posts