GP100: 3" or 4" fixed sight vs. adj.??

Help Support Ruger Forum:

ledyard

Bearcat
I seriously want a GP100!!! The obvious answer to my question is to get ONE IN 3, 4 , AND 6". Which would not hurt my feelings at all. Finances permitting this new year I will be buying a GP100, M&P compact, .40 or .45 CCW for my wife, Kel Tec P32 (a second one) and who knows what else.
I really love the 4" GP100. I would use it as a 2nd to my SBHH while in the woods. Or a 2nd to a rifle if I didnt want to carry my SBHH. A full time range shooter and possibly a CCW. The only thing that makes me think I should get 3" is the possibility of CCW. But I dont like the idea of fixed sights. Now, that being said...I have never shot a revolver with fixed sights. So maybe my opinion of fixed sights is unfounded??? Could some of you enlighten me as to your experiences with fixed vs. adjustable sights?

wproct

Single-Sixer
This is an interesting question to me, because, for the first 35 years of my shooting life, I wouldn't even consider buying a handgun if it didn't have adjustable sights. I just felt that I had to be able to zero a handgun in. Only in the last 5 years or so have I come to appreciate the sleekness and snag free convenience of fixed sights on a handgun, and I have been amazed at how close to point of aim several that I now own have been. I recently looked at a couple of GP100 revolvers with 3in bbl and fixed sights at a local gun show and was favorably impressed. Wouldn't mind having one.

RUT

Single-Sixer
Here's a couple...one full lug and one half.

IMG_0913.jpg

Single-Sixer
A fixed sight gun is real hard to get out of adjustment. The fixed sights don't snag on holsters or clothing. Do you really adjust the adjustables all that often?

There's a quick few to justify my 4" fixed sight GP-100 that I am more than completely happy with. I traded an adjustable sight 4" version for it.

Adjustables are great too, they usually give a better sight picture and make up for a lot of variables that a fixed sight gun cannot. A .357 is so versatile that you can really make use of adjustable sights, from 110gr through 200gr is a lot of territory to cover.

There's a few to justify my 6" adjustable sight version.

Now the tough part, you have to decide. :(

Dnovo

Bearcat
I find the 6" a bit nose heavy. My 4" seems perfectly balanced. I don't find the fixed sights to be a handicap and it does draw a lot easier. Shorter bbl length helps with that as well dave

roaddog28

Single-Sixer
I am a fan of fixed sight revolvers. If you are considering carrying the revolver much than a 3 inch GP100 would be the ticket. They are heavy to carry though. Also, Ruger made for a few years a GP100 4 inch fixed sight revolver. They are not made anymore but would be a great all around revolver. The model numbers are GPF340 fixed sight short underlug blued, KGPF340 fixed sight short underlug stainless, GPF341 fixed sight full underlug blued and KGPF341 full underlug stainless. You might find one of the above to be more versitile than the adjustable sight full underlug. I have GP100 4 inch Stainless Steel full underlug and I love it but it is heavy to carry. I also have a Ruger Police Service Six 4 inch that is easier to carry and won't snag clothes. It is much like the GP100 only lighter. I carry this revolver in a inside the waist holster.
Just some ideas.
Howard
Police Service Six
RugerServiceSix.jpg

Calthrop

Single-Sixer
Ledyard
Welcome to the Forum.
You sound so enthusiastic and frantic. Excitement is a good thing.
First do you know anyone with a fix sighted gun? Any fix sighted gun that you could visit with a box of ammo have a chat while cleaning their gun, graciously leave the empties.

Depending on where you live. Find a range. If you use a three inch GP I advise Mid-Power .357's because there is going to be more blast and recoil than you thought. If you start out with .38 Specials the tendency is to think the gun is a fluffy kittens cat. When you buy you buy a GP short gun E-mail me and I will tell you what to do. No secrets they are all over the Forum, it is just that it is getting late. Mine has been over shadowed by the G-20sf Glock[possibly the finest fighting pistol of the modern age]. There have been plans to convert my KGP-331 to 10mm Auto. if my safe clearing project works. The only problem is I will be giving up such a wide ammo selection. Even though smaller capacity than the Glock it still shoots where I point it at rangers farther than you would expect. So shoot a fixed sighted gun. Give up some treasure for good ammo. SP-101's are good too. Be sure always double action. k Calthrop

Look out there are five inch GP's out there. They are very seductive. It is the hand gun to carry when Jaguar are about. The Glock is for feral dog and hog.

sunday bill

Single-Sixer
ledyard, some folks tend to avoid non-adjustable sights out of a fear of a windage itch they can't scratch. I keep a thin, safe-sided file with which a tad of metal can be removed from the appropriate side of the rear sight notch without damaging the aesthetics of the gun. With care, the alteration can't be detected on stainless guns and can be touched up with cold blue or a permanent marker on blue guns. Just remember, it's a heckuva lot easier to file metal off than it is to file it back on, so go slowly with the file and test fire often.

If you have a doubt as to which side of the sight to file, just remember the Ruger forum has folks who'll help.

As far as vertical POI (point of impact) with relation to POA (point of aim) goes, remember that, out of a handgun, a heavy bullet will strike higher, a faster bullet of the same weight will strike lower, etc. So, without getting into a barrel-time discussion, if you reload, a large percentage of non-adjustable-sighted handguns pose absolutely no problem in making them shoot accurately.

I consider adjustable sights ideal for target shooting, prefer them on my hunting handgun, etc. However, most attacks aren't of a gentle nature, and adjutable sights are susceptible to hanging on clothing when drawing in a hurry or suffering damage when struck in a scuffle.

We all hope push never comes to shove, but if it does, I plan to have a tried, trusted, and permanently regulated, non-adjustable sighted gun on my person.

Obviously, your mileage may vary.

ledyard

Bearcat
sunday bill said:
ledyard, some folks tend to avoid non-adjustable sights out of a fear of a windage itch they can't scratch. I keep a thin, safe-sided file with which a tad of metal can be removed from the appropriate side of the rear sight notch without damaging the aesthetics of the gun. With care, the alteration can't be detected on stainless guns and can be touched up with cold blue or a permanent marker on blue guns. Just remember, it's a heckuva lot easier to file metal off than it is to file it back on, so go slowly with the file and test fire often.

If you have a doubt as to which side of the sight to file, just remember the Ruger forum has folks who'll help.

As far as vertical POI (point of impact) with relation to POA (point of aim) goes, remember that, out of a handgun, a heavy bullet will strike higher, a faster bullet of the same weight will strike lower, etc. So, without getting into a barrel-time discussion, if you reload, a large percentage of non-adjustable-sighted handguns pose absolutely no problem in making them shoot accurately.

I consider adjustable sights ideal for target shooting, prefer them on my hunting handgun, etc. However, most attacks aren't of a gentle nature, and adjutable sights are susceptible to hanging on clothing when drawing in a hurry or suffering damage when struck in a scuffle.

We all hope push never comes to shove, but if it does, I plan to have a tried, trusted, and permanently regulated, non-adjustable sighted gun on my person.

Obviously, your mileage may vary.

I guess the best option is to buy both a 3" and 4". Not like that option hurts my feelings in the least. Probably buy the 4" first because the biggest reason for the 3" was possible CCW. But that would only be once in a while. I wish Ruger made a GP100 in 2.5".
I wasnt so much concerned with windage as getting used to the vertical part. Just fear of the unknown i guess. But I cant for the life if me figure out what the issue is because my semi auto is fixed sight...... :shock: .
I'll just have to buy em' both. :wink:

Mr. S

Bearcat
I haven't found fixed sight revolvers to be any disadvantage. The only two I have are both Smiths; a model 64 with 4" barrel and a model 442 with 1 7/8" barrel. The 442 shoots to POA with Speer 135 grain Gold Dot HP factory loads. My Model 64 is very accurate with a couple of 158 grain handloads of mine. It also shoots to POA.

A few of months ago, I bought a stainless GP100 with a five inch barrel and adjustable sights. I love this gun! So far I have just put 250 rounds through it, but I am very happy with the results. I have never owned a five inch barrel revolver. I had from 1 7/8 to 6.5 inch. The balance is incredible for me with this five inch model. The revolver just seems to hang in space when pointed at the target. That is the best way I can explain it.

This was a Davidson's exclusive I think. I'm not sure if they are still available or not. If they are, give the five inch barrel some thought.

Rick

FergusonTO35

Hunter
What kind of distance do you think you'll be shooting the gun at? From 15 yards or less I don't think you'll miss the adjustable sights unless theres something wrong with your gun or you demand single hole groups. At longer distances, yes, the adjustables are the way to go. Personally I think these revolvers are at their best with the 4, 4.2, and 5 inch barrels. Six inches is just really long and unwieldy unless you are using the revolver as a primary hunting weapon or shooting targets at long distances. The three inch tube doesn't do much to make the GP-100 small or compact. It still heavier than most six shot .38/.357 revolvers, also there aren't that many choices of holsters.

patcannon

Single-Sixer
I shoot a 3" GP100. I just love having a rear sight that will never, ever break or get out of adjustment.

The only time I've beaten my buddy with his 1911 at a steel shoot was the time his rear sight got knocked out of whack. (Shooting at steel plates, you can't even see what direction you're missing!)

Calthrop

Single-Sixer
You are coming around.
The real cost of shooting double action Ruges has been the purchase of quality belts,holsters,speedoladers and speed speedloader holderers. The there is the other great problem in my mind. The demise of Lett and the rise of theHogue Mono grip.

No bust on the four inch or the six. I might have a problem with the S&W[just kidding] If I was going to leave you with a lesson learned the very hard way about my current life with fire arms firearms. It is that support equipment and expendable materials that run up the bills. Then ammo and finally the initial outlay for the firearm. The three inch gun is a worth while gun. Go and see if it is what you want[if it has a mono grip it will shoot differently than a Ruger compac grip].

On this forum we all have a condition we refer to a Rugeritis. One symptom of Rugeritis is unhappiness a vague dissatisfaction with the way Ruger made the gun. Followed by a deep conviction we can make it better or at least to our liking[perhaps in our own image]. Another manifestation is "will this Ruger satisfy my needs". Well Sir welcome to the club you have full blown Rugeritis.

Sunday bill and Mr. S got it right. IMVVHO the five inch gun is a marvel. Once you file on a fixed sight the gun is pretty much yours or someone with your arm length.

You might take a break and look at the member list. Those including myself are the folks that came out of the dark. The site has many lurkers yet. In fact there is another non affiliated Ruger enthusiast website. Rugerits. k Calthrop

ledyard

Bearcat
The GP100 I was able to handle(not shoot) was my smith's gun. It was the wood/rubber grip model. It was beautiful in my hand. Having the larger hogue on my SBHH I have no doubt I will like it.

Question, has anything changed with the grip frame now that they come with hogue? If I want to put the wood/rubber style on after purchase is it a direct swap out?

hariph creek

Bearcat
The grip "peg" is the same. I have the 4" GP100, it came with Hogue grips. I hated them so I got the old style oem with inserts they are great. Also picked up an old style oem compact grip off a 3" GP100, so now wife and kids can handle it too.
As far as the OP's question...if you're thinking of more than one why not make one of them a 2" or 3" SP101? The GP is alot of gun to conceal.
I agree also that fixed sights are better for CC.

ledyard

Bearcat
hariph creek said:
The grip "peg" is the same. I have the 4" GP100, it came with Hogue grips. I hated them so I got the old style oem with inserts they are great. Also picked up an old style oem compact grip off a 3" GP100, so now wife and kids can handle it too.
As far as the OP's question...if you're thinking of more than one why not make one of them a 2" or 3" SP101? The GP is alot of gun to conceal.
I agree also that fixed sights are better for CC.

Thats great news. Next question would be: can you get the older OEM grips from Ruger? Or do you have to seem out Ebay and gun broker?

I think I will just buy the 4" first. Try some mock CCW positions to see if I like the large revolver cylinder. If the girth of the gun isnt an issue and I think I want to CCW it alot more then I will invest in either the 3" or the SP101. I made the mistake of showing my wife the GP100 though....I'll be lucky if I ever get to have any time with it. :p

patcannon

Single-Sixer
I love my GP and carry it, but it's true the SP is a lot easier to carry. Most people consider the GP a little too big for concealed carry, and IMHO it is unless you get just the right holster and a sturdy belt. And I really wish Hogue made a compact Monogrip for the GP just like the one they sell for the SP. Here's my guns. Note that they are free of such pointless fripperies as movable sights or hammer spurs.