High Velocity vs. Standard Velocity .22 Ammo?

Help Support Ruger Forum:

w5lx

Single-Sixer
I read an article yesterday (can't remember where now) that was a discussion warning against using High Velocity .22 ammo in a handgun because of possible damage to the gun. One guy said shooting Stingers in his automatic pistol (brand unknown) damaged it. It went on to say the High Velocity ammo should only be used in fixed breech rifles. I have a bunch of both types of ammo and have never thought much about it. I shoot whatever I have in all my .22 handguns.

Any thoughts from the experts? Should I stop using High Velocity .22's in my handguns?

MCPO

Bearcat
Have only shot Stingers in my Single Sixs, but all my 22s (auto loaders and revolvers) shoot HV ammo.

I like CCI Mini-Mags the best, but the bulk Federal and Remington HVs are so much 'cheaper', they get a lot of use.

As Wil stated - "crapola"

Donaldjr1969

Blackhawk
Are you sure that the article did not specifically state hyper-velocity ammunition? CCI Stingers are a hyper-velocity round. My MkIII states to use only standard and high velocity ammunition. The owner's manual on my Marlin Model 60 also states that high velocity ammo is good to use but not hyper-velocity.

I too recommend this be file thirteened under Crapola. I especially like the part of only fixed breech rifles. Since many 22lr revolver frames can handle the 22WMR, I seriously doubt 22 hyper-velocity rounds are harmful to them.

Best bet? Always read the owner's manual. I have a feeling that the manufacturer knows what's best for their products than some self-appointed expert.

smokeyw

Bearcat
I also think there was a misunderstanding. I think they are refering to hyper velocity ammo. I know that Ruger says not to shoot hyper velocity in their Mark pistols. It probably varies depending on the manufacturer and the firearm.

WIL TERRY

Buckeye
smokeyw said:
I also think there was a misunderstanding. I think they are refering to hyper velocity ammo. I know that Ruger says not to shoot hyper velocity in their Mark pistols. It probably varies depending on the manufacturer and the firearm.
BY GOLLY, this would be news to me. NONE of my STURM,RUGER&COMPANY MANUALS make any mention of such things. THis is also strange in that the 22LR HIGH SPEED and the 22LR "HYPER VELOCITY" cartridges are all loaded to the same pressure levels. There is something to the fact that a few SAAMI SPEC 22LR chambers will not quite properly chamber CCI STINGER type loads if---IF !!!---if that particular chamber is at the low end of SAAMI specifications. This matters not a whit if we're speaking of the chambers in a RUGER SINGLE SIX for all the obvious reasons. I have never seen it make any difference in a RUGER STANDARD, MKI, MKII, OR MKIII autoloading pistol; not to say that it could not for all the same obvious reasons. The LLAMA little itty bitty 1911 22LR pistols were famous for blowing case heads with the introduction of CCI 22LR MINIMAG ammunition in '64[?]
NOW, let it be noted that the chambers in some foreign 22LR autoloading pistols have some truly bizzarre chamber sizes and can blow caseheads to a farethewell with regular ol' 22LR HS ammo.

w5lx

Single-Sixer
smokeyw said:
I also think there was a misunderstanding. I think they are refering to hyper velocity ammo.

I think you are right. It was probably a warning against hyper velocity ammo. I have been searching for the article but haven't been able to find it. I did find some interesting threads warning against the hyper velocity ammo in some firearms:

http://www.thehighroad.us/showthread.php?t=399009

http://www.mdshooters.com/showthread.php?t=46136

Thanks for all the comments. I've been using CCI Stingers and Yellow Jackets for years and just never gave it much thought. The 1st thread referenced above had this posted in it:

"I actually called ruger asking about cci stingers in the 10/22 target model and my mark 3 bull barrel. They said not to shoot them in either b/c they are hyper velocity and they will ware out the parts"

having worked on untold amount of 22 firearms over the years,doing warrenty repair for several manufacturers, I can tell you there is a great deal of difference in the usage of 22 standard, HV or high velocity, as well as just what each different gun was designed to be used with..........I know lots of folks say they can and do this or that and NO problems, BUT we have had to fix and repair them ,even scrap them out and send them back to the manufacturer..........recently there was a very good article in one of the mags, American Rifleman or Gun Digest the magazine, from one of the Olin Co. engineers and just what a .22 cal is all about.................

smokeyw

Bearcat
WIL TERRY said:
smokeyw said:
BY GOLLY, this would be news to me. NONE of my STURM,RUGER&COMPANY MANUALS make any mention of such things.

The Ruger manual does not specifically state not to shoot hyper velocity ammo. It does however say to only shoot long rifle standard, or high velocity as stated below. Hyper velocity ammo is neither standard, or high velocity.

"AMMUNITION
The RUGER® MARK III pistol is chambered only for the .22 caliber Long
Rifle cartridge, standard velocity or high velocity, manufactured to U.S. Industry Standards. Do not attempt to load .22 Long, .22 Short, or any other type .22 caliber cartridge into the magazine or in the chamber of the pistol".

If you call Ruger, and ask them, they will tell you not to shoot hyper in a Mark series pistol. I don't see where it would hurt a single six. You are free to shoot whatever you like, I was just trying to help someone who may care about their pistol and not want to damage it.

CraigC

Hawkeye
Gents, Wil Terry has probably done more shooting than all of us combined. I would take anything he posts as gospel.

The only issues I've ever heard of with hyper velocity ammunition has to do with fitment into 'some' chambers which might not care for the longer case. And older guns that may benefit from a heavier recoil spring to handle the higher bolt speeds.

hutchman

Blackhawk
I know who Wil Terry is and I stand by my statement of support for Smokeys point. Ruger does not want hyper velocity ammunition used in the MK Series pistols........

I also agree that he has shot more than all of us combined. Crap, he probably shot more by the time he was 16 than I will in my entire life, but that does not change Ruger's stance on hyper velocity ammo.

CraigC

Hawkeye
Ruger also says not to use handloads or to use ammunition over 14,000psi in their .45Colts. Point being, the manufacturer is not always the last word.

hutchman

Blackhawk
CraigC said:
Ruger also says not to use handloads or to use ammunition over 14,000psi in their .45Colts. Point being, the manufacturer is not always the last word.

Very true, except when it comes to warranty work!

GhosT

Blackhawk
Owned many a .22 since 1979.

Loved WIL TERRY's post
"You may kindly file that man's report under the "amatuer-and-silly-crapola-file."

"It went on to say the High Velocity ammo should only be used in fixed breech rifles." ------------------that totally cracked me up!

Over the years..I have fire everything from CB shorts to .22 magnums in countless rimfire guns...
Never seen one round "damage" a gun!

SOFT metal tends not to damage HARD METAL! ;)

Cholo

Staff member
Just tossing this out there. Hyper Velocity is probably just a name on a light bullet that shoots faster than a High Velocity. I don't recall Stingers being advertised as a higher pressure load as it shoots a 32 gr bullet as opposed to a 36-40 gr High Velocity bullet. Whether that translates to a higher wear rate in a Mark series of pistols, I don't know. It seems to me that Ruger would simply say they in their manuals that they don't recommend Hyper Velocity as it's all High Velocity. My MKll manual says nothing about using Hyper stuff. Maybe newer manuals do.

Just something to think about... Interesting thread!

Donaldjr1969

Blackhawk
Cholo, as we all know, the case on the stinger is longer and the actual bullet is shorter compared to a regular 22lr HV round. I assume it is to maintain the same overall length as a 22lr. I also assume that the extra case length is why the stinger does not chamber. However, the Remington Viper and the Remington Yellow Jacket do use the standard length 22lr case. Are those two examples higher pressure loads?

Personally, I see no practical need to use hyper-velocity ammunition in my 22/45 even if I had Ruger's blessing to do so. For punching paper, the only benefit I would see is that the lightening of my wallet would also proceed at hyper-velocity speeds too. :) I am quite content with the CCI Blazer 525rnd bulk packs I purchased for 14 dollars.

CraigC

Hawkeye
Ruger has no warranty anyway. ;)

True, the Stinger is not loaded to higher pressures. It simply uses a lighter bullet, longer case (to maintain OAL) and a little more of a slower burning powder.