RugerForum.com

This is a Ruger Firearms enthusiast's forum, but it is in no way affiliated with, nor does it represent Sturm Ruger & Company Inc. of Southport, CT.
It is currently Wed Jul 30, 2014 3:14 pm

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Mon Dec 13, 2010 8:55 am 
Single-Sixer

I read an article yesterday (can't remember where now) that was a discussion warning against using High Velocity .22 ammo in a handgun because of possible damage to the gun. One guy said shooting Stingers in his automatic pistol (brand unknown) damaged it. It went on to say the High Velocity ammo should only be used in fixed breech rifles. I have a bunch of both types of ammo and have never thought much about it. I shoot whatever I have in all my .22 handguns.

Any thoughts from the experts? Should I stop using High Velocity .22's in my handguns?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Dec 13, 2010 9:37 am 
Shootist

You may kindly file that man's report under the "amatuer-and-silly-crapola-file."

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Dec 13, 2010 10:11 am 
Bearcat

Have only shot Stingers in my Single Sixs, but all my 22s (auto loaders and revolvers) shoot HV ammo.

I like CCI Mini-Mags the best, but the bulk Federal and Remington HVs are so much 'cheaper', they get a lot of use.

As Wil stated - "crapola"

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Dec 13, 2010 10:18 am 
Buckeye

Are you sure that the article did not specifically state hyper-velocity ammunition? CCI Stingers are a hyper-velocity round. My MkIII states to use only standard and high velocity ammunition. The owner's manual on my Marlin Model 60 also states that high velocity ammo is good to use but not hyper-velocity.

I too recommend this be file thirteened under Crapola. I especially like the part of only fixed breech rifles. Since many 22lr revolver frames can handle the 22WMR, I seriously doubt 22 hyper-velocity rounds are harmful to them.

Best bet? Always read the owner's manual. I have a feeling that the manufacturer knows what's best for their products than some self-appointed expert.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Dec 13, 2010 10:52 am 
Bearcat

I also think there was a misunderstanding. I think they are refering to hyper velocity ammo. I know that Ruger says not to shoot hyper velocity in their Mark pistols. It probably varies depending on the manufacturer and the firearm.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Dec 13, 2010 11:44 am 
Shootist

smokeyw wrote:
I also think there was a misunderstanding. I think they are refering to hyper velocity ammo. I know that Ruger says not to shoot hyper velocity in their Mark pistols. It probably varies depending on the manufacturer and the firearm.

BY GOLLY, this would be news to me. NONE of my STURM,RUGER&COMPANY MANUALS make any mention of such things. THis is also strange in that the 22LR HIGH SPEED and the 22LR "HYPER VELOCITY" cartridges are all loaded to the same pressure levels. There is something to the fact that a few SAAMI SPEC 22LR chambers will not quite properly chamber CCI STINGER type loads if---IF !!!---if that particular chamber is at the low end of SAAMI specifications. This matters not a whit if we're speaking of the chambers in a RUGER SINGLE SIX for all the obvious reasons. I have never seen it make any difference in a RUGER STANDARD, MKI, MKII, OR MKIII autoloading pistol; not to say that it could not for all the same obvious reasons. The LLAMA little itty bitty 1911 22LR pistols were famous for blowing case heads with the introduction of CCI 22LR MINIMAG ammunition in '64[?]
NOW, let it be noted that the chambers in some foreign 22LR autoloading pistols have some truly bizzarre chamber sizes and can blow caseheads to a farethewell with regular ol' 22LR HS ammo.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Dec 13, 2010 11:50 am 
Single-Sixer

smokeyw wrote:
I also think there was a misunderstanding. I think they are refering to hyper velocity ammo.

I think you are right. It was probably a warning against hyper velocity ammo. I have been searching for the article but haven't been able to find it. I did find some interesting threads warning against the hyper velocity ammo in some firearms:

http://www.thehighroad.us/showthread.php?t=399009

http://www.mdshooters.com/showthread.php?t=46136

Thanks for all the comments. I've been using CCI Stingers and Yellow Jackets for years and just never gave it much thought. The 1st thread referenced above had this posted in it:

"I actually called ruger asking about cci stingers in the 10/22 target model and my mark 3 bull barrel. They said not to shoot them in either b/c they are hyper velocity and they will ware out the parts"

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Dec 13, 2010 1:25 pm 
Ruger Guru

having worked on untold amount of 22 firearms over the years,doing warrenty repair for several manufacturers, I can tell you there is a great deal of difference in the usage of 22 standard, HV or high velocity, as well as just what each different gun was designed to be used with..........I know lots of folks say they can and do this or that and NO problems, BUT we have had to fix and repair them ,even scrap them out and send them back to the manufacturer..........recently there was a very good article in one of the mags, American Rifleman or Gun Digest the magazine, from one of the Olin Co. engineers and just what a .22 cal is all about.................

NRA Benefactor

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Dec 13, 2010 2:39 pm 
Bearcat

WIL TERRY wrote:
smokeyw wrote:

BY GOLLY, this would be news to me. NONE of my STURM,RUGER&COMPANY MANUALS make any mention of such things.

The Ruger manual does not specifically state not to shoot hyper velocity ammo. It does however say to only shoot long rifle standard, or high velocity as stated below. Hyper velocity ammo is neither standard, or high velocity.

"AMMUNITION
The RUGER® MARK III pistol is chambered only for the .22 caliber Long
Rifle cartridge, standard velocity or high velocity, manufactured to U.S. Industry Standards. Do not attempt to load .22 Long, .22 Short, or any other type .22 caliber cartridge into the magazine or in the chamber of the pistol".

If you call Ruger, and ask them, they will tell you not to shoot hyper in a Mark series pistol. I don't see where it would hurt a single six. You are free to shoot whatever you like, I was just trying to help someone who may care about their pistol and not want to damage it.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Dec 13, 2010 7:49 pm 
Buckeye

Smokey, you are correct....

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Dec 13, 2010 8:38 pm 
Hunter

Smokeyw,.........+2

Good Post :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Dec 13, 2010 9:00 pm 
Hawkeye

Gents, Wil Terry has probably done more shooting than all of us combined. I would take anything he posts as gospel.

The only issues I've ever heard of with hyper velocity ammunition has to do with fitment into 'some' chambers which might not care for the longer case. And older guns that may benefit from a heavier recoil spring to handle the higher bolt speeds.

http://www.sixgunleather.com/index.html

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Dec 13, 2010 10:19 pm 
Buckeye

I know who Wil Terry is and I stand by my statement of support for Smokeys point. Ruger does not want hyper velocity ammunition used in the MK Series pistols........

I also agree that he has shot more than all of us combined. Crap, he probably shot more by the time he was 16 than I will in my entire life, but that does not change Ruger's stance on hyper velocity ammo.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 14, 2010 12:03 am 
Hawkeye

Ruger also says not to use handloads or to use ammunition over 14,000psi in their .45Colts. Point being, the manufacturer is not always the last word.

http://www.sixgunleather.com/index.html

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 14, 2010 12:06 am 
Buckeye

CraigC wrote:
Ruger also says not to use handloads or to use ammunition over 14,000psi in their .45Colts. Point being, the manufacturer is not always the last word.

Very true, except when it comes to warranty work!