Deerfield carbine (pros and cons)

Help Support Ruger Forum:

St. Hogustine

Bearcat
Hi all,

I've been searching for a Ruger .44 carbine, and I have lined out a couple of deals. I can buy a 1978 model, excellent condition (no problems with trigger housing or stock, very seldom shot) for $400 (maybe less). I can also buy a Ruger Deerfield carbine, the M1 style, in similar condition for $450 (maybe less). I have never seen this model in person.

I know that both models have their fans, and I know there are some educated opinions on this forum. If you had to pick one to take to the woods, which would you choose and why? Also, which will be the better gun (in terms of durability and resale value) 30 years from now? Right now the newer models are more expensive. Is that because fewer were made, or are they better rifles?

Black Frog

Single-Sixer
I've owned both.... to me they both have their pros and cons.

There are a lot more of the older style out there than the newer Deerfield version.

There is a version of the older style 44 Carbine that was the "Deluxe" model that sported a high comb stock for nice eye alignment to scope. That's the one I had.

Some older 44's were prone to jamming. Could be finicky with certain ammo too. What I did like about the old style was the solid, flat-top receiver. Much like a 10/22. This allowed for nice low scope mounting. And when you combined that with the Deluxe stock model, it was the cutest little hunting package around.

Problem for me was the way you load and eject rounds. You fed them one at a time up into the bottom of the gun. To unload them you had to get your finger up in there to press a release button, it was tough for my fat fingers to do and I swore at it often. The way we hunt we are in and out of vehicles moving around quite a bit during the day. That means several loads and unloads each day. Seemed like each time you loaded/unloaded the gun the front of the bullets would loose a grain or two from scraping going in and out.

I sold it.

When the newer Deerfields came out I bought one of them. Based off the Garand style action, it is quite a workhorse of dependability. I LOVED the drop out magazine for easy loading/unloading. But they did not offer a high-comb stock version of this gun. And because the action ejects the casing 'up and out' rather than straight out to the side (like old model), it does not allow for real low scope mounting. In fact, when you bought a Deerfield new they included a leather "scope band" that you were supposed to wrape around your scope tube to protect it from being banged by ejected cases. <insert rolleyes here>

I machined a one-piece low scope mount that also had a angled ejection protection plate right above the action opening that worked great. It was lower than Ruger's low rings, and it protected the scope from the ejected casings. :)

I modified the stock of a Deerfield to included a high comb that makes for much better eye alignment with normal scope mounting.

Durability and resale value? I think the newer model wins. The older style will always have their followers and fans, but because of the limited numbers of the newer Deerfield I think you'll see them getting premium prices in the future. That's why I bought two. :)

Jimbo357mag

Hawkeye
My newer Deerfield has no problems ejecting cases with Ruger medium rings. It is rugged and dependable except for the occasional minor jam. It is so much fun to shoot that it would cost me a fortune to go to the range if I did not reload. :D

DeerfieldL-1.jpg

...Jimbo

Black Frog

Single-Sixer
My newer Deerfield has no problems ejecting cases with Ruger medium rings.

Nope, and you could most likely use low rings without ejection problems as well. But the ejected case may bang into the scope tube with low rings, and that's why Ruger provided the leather scope protector band....

They are indeed fun to shoot!!

Black Frog

Single-Sixer
here's what I think Ruger should have offered with the Deerfield as a much better option than the silly leather scope protector.

If you're using a scope with the Deerfield, you'll most likely want the lowest ring height due to the stock design made for primarily open sight shooting.

This provides a very low ring height and has an angled 'ejection plate' above the action opening which you can see in the second picture. Low mount, protected scope = :)

These pics taken before I added the recoil pin that fits into the receiver cutouts. Simply use the top half of the provided Ruger rings.

deerfield1.jpg

deerfield2.jpg

mattsbox99

Hunter
I also have a Deerfield, I have only ever used the iron sights on it. The drop out magazine and action improvements make it a great rifle. I have no experience with the older model. Mine shoots 1.5" groups at 100 yards with the Hornady 225 grain LeverEvolution ammo.

dfletcher

Blackhawk
St. Hogustine said:
Hi all,

I've been searching for a Ruger .44 carbine, and I have lined out a couple of deals. I can buy a 1978 model, excellent condition (no problems with trigger housing or stock, very seldom shot) for $400 (maybe less). I can also buy a Ruger Deerfield carbine, the M1 style, in similar condition for $450 (maybe less). I have never seen this model in person.

I know that both models have their fans, and I know there are some educated opinions on this forum. If you had to pick one to take to the woods, which would you choose and why? Also, which will be the better gun (in terms of durability and resale value) 30 years from now? Right now the newer models are more expensive. Is that because fewer were made, or are they better rifles?

I think $450.00 is a pretty good price for the 99/44 Deerfield, even taking into account CA prices and that I got mine used NIB. Mine is utterly reliable, accuracy is very good. I have a little Burris Timberline 4X on it and use 240 grain JSP bullet with H110.

Now if someone would come up with a hi cap mag like the 10/22 - that would be great. But personally, I don't know that there'd be any practical difference in the field.

Jimbo357mag

Hawkeye
dfletcher said:
Now if someone would come up with a hi cap mag like the 10/22 - that would be great. But personally, I don't know that there'd be any practical difference in the field.
There is a guy out of Australia that takes a Desert Eagle 9 round mag and marries it to the Ruger 96/44 mag. Could work for the Deerfields as well I suppose. :D

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OpgAJj5B1iE

...Jimbo

Jimbo357mag

Hawkeye
I should have said a 9 round magazine for the Desert Eagle, which is the only 9 round 44mag magazine I know of. I think both Magnum Research and ProMag makes a 44 mag magazine for the Desert Eagle. :D :D

...Jimbo

mattsbox99

Hunter
Easy enough to make, just cut the bottom out of the Ruger mag and remove the guts, possibly file the inside of the feed lips or the DE magazine and glue in place. DE mags are about $45 a pop though... I'm content with my factory deerfield mags.

Jimbo357mag

Hawkeye
mattsbox99 said:
Easy enough to make, ...I'm content with my factory deerfield mags.
Me too, That guy must have a whole lot of pigs to take care of 'down under' to need more than 5 shots at a time. But what do I know? I am still hoping to get my first one sometime. :shock: :shock: :D

...Jimbo

dfletcher

Blackhawk
That's a pretty neat set up, he has a 2nd video on there also. Probably not too difficult to make, being in CA the 9 rounds is OK too. Alot easier to remove the stick than the flush fit too.

Guncip Depot has a ProMag version for $24.95, factories are $49.00. Interesting.

Limitby9

Bearcat
I have a 99/44 with a Burris Full Field scope (3X9). I used a small piece of velcro (loop side) to protect the scope. I also rotated the scope 90 degrees CCW to keep the turret out of the way. Used factory rings. No problems with scope damage. One of my favorite guns. At the range, people ask why my 10/22 is so loud. Mini 14 picatinny rail fits 99/44 as well.

dfletcher

Blackhawk
Limitby9 said:
I have a 99/44 with a Burris Full Field scope (3X9). I used a small piece of velcro (loop side) to protect the scope. I also rotated the scope 90 degrees CCW to keep the turret out of the way. Used factory rings. No problems with scope damage. One of my favorite guns. At the range, people ask why my 10/22 is so loud. Mini 14 picatinny rail fits 99/44 as well.

Mine came with a little ""sock" that covers the underside, has holes for the turret. Maybe Ruger still has them?

Jimbo357mag

Hawkeye
Limitby9 said:
Hey I get it. 'UP' is left and 'DOWN' is right. 'L' is down and 'R' is up. Now that is clever. :D :D

...Jimbo

WebleyMan

Single-Sixer
I've had a Deerfield for a few years, and am selling it only because I'm ordering a No. 1 in 6.5 x 55. The Deefield is a good little deer gun. Mine would shoot several loads into just about an inch at 50 yds.

I wear glasses and have trouble with low mounted scopes so put a set of high rings on it. This has me shooting in a "heads up" stile, with the comb of the stock well under my cheekbone, but there's so little recoil from the .44 that it doesn't really matter. With the high scope rings, the shells don't seem to ping the scope tube on the way out.

I've put only a couple hundred rounds through it, but never had a jam, other than finding mid-range reloads won't cycle the action (big surprise.) I've read, but have no first hand knowledge, that the Derrfield is much less picky about ammo that it will feed than the original .44 carbine, so I'd be inclined to get the Deerfield for that reason.

St. Hogustine

Bearcat
Lamplighter,

It's funny that you would mention that. In the past year I've decided to go from being a one rifle whitetail hunter to using two. Before the end of last season, I used a .270 BAR Safari for practically everything. It could do just about everything sort-of well, but wasn't nearly as handy as a .44 carbine. And setting it up for 200+ yard shots made it less handy.

I ended up getting a Parker-Hale mauser in .300 win mag with a good long-range scope to the big box stands, and I take my Deerfield to the thickets and deep woods. Each does its particular job very well.

I really like my new Deerfield. Thanks for the great advice!

Blut und eisen

Bearcat
I've only put a few rounds through a friends original .44 carbine, so my frame of reference is quite limited with that model. I did have a Deerfield a few years ago. Loved it, but more often than not, it shot itself lose (not apart) after a hundred or so rounds. This was before I discovered solvent resistant locktight and was too short sighted (stupid) to push for a fix from some of the "Old Heads". I grew tired of always tightening it up and traded it off for something else. Now that I am one, an Old Head that is, I lament the fact I let it go. We've all done that, right? But back to point: I think the newer Deerfield is a superior weapon. I base this opinion on its proved M-1 type action/bolt lockup; it is feed by a detachable (i.e. replaceable) magazine, which are very quick to change (always a plus) and my own experience of zero feeding/extracting failures, this despite the previously mention problem of loosening up. I also found it very accurate for any task it was asked it to complete. If I could find another in good shape, I would snatch it up, along with a couple tubes of locktight. Get it.

Hunter6657

Single-Sixer
Get the Deerfield rifle. IF you don't like it you can sell it and just about buy 2 of the older model 44 carbines. I see the Deerfields going for $700.