Mini-14 / Mini-30 - in 223 or 7.62 x 39?

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Glupy

Blackhawk
Kuna, Idaho - a sparkling jewel in a park-like set
I see that Ruger now makes the Tactical Mini 14 in both 7.62 x 39 and the 5.56 x 45 (223). I need your advice on the better choice to purchase.

The 7.62 x 39 has really cheap but usually dirty Russian ammo. The larger caliber gives it a little more stopping power.

The 223 (5.56 x 45) is a more American caliber with a lot more choices for ammo. I've read that it is also more accurate than the 7.62 x 39. I can also find bolt action rifles that will fire the same ammo.

I reload as a rule, but neither of these calibers is my my experience so far. I can purchase either rifle at the same price. I am a casual shooter. The rifle would have some potential for crowd control but I don't plan to hunt with it.

Do any of you folks have any comments to help me make my choice?

Dave

deadduck357

Single-Sixer
correction - 5.56x45

For reloading go with .223

For cats to coyotes go with .223

For pigs to deer go with the 7.62x39

All things being pretty much equal, I think the deciding factor maybe that you reload.... I'd go with the Mini-30 (that's the proper term for the mini that shoots 7.62x39)

A lot of American companies make pretty good ammo in 7.62 but not nearly as cheap as the commie stuff. Buy the commie stuff and pack it in a good ammo can and leave it for that crowded day... shoot good brass out of it and then reuse the brass... for general plinking and hunting or what ever.

Divernhunter

Single-Sixer
I have both and like both. For a first one get the 223 or Mini14 then later get the Mini30(7.62X39). You will not be unhappy. They are fun guns. I shoot mil surplus in my 223 and handloads out of both. Just be carefull as they chuck the brass along way.

sargents1

Single-Sixer
Glupy said:
I see that Ruger now makes the Tactical Mini 14 in both 7.62 x 39 and the 5.56 x 45 (223). I need your advice on the better choice to purchase.

The 7.62 x 39 has really cheap but usually dirty Russian ammo. The larger caliber gives it a little more stopping power.

The 223 (5.56 x 45) is a more American caliber with a lot more choices for ammo. I've read that it is also more accurate than the 7.62 x 39. I can also find bolt action rifles that will fire the same ammo.

I reload as a rule, but neither of these calibers is my my experience so far. I can purchase either rifle at the same price. I am a casual shooter. The rifle would have some potential for crowd control but I don't plan to hunt with it.

Do any of you folks have any comments to help me make my choice?

Dave

I just read a review where they tested the Mini 30 Tactical

(http://www.weaponevolution.com/forum/showthread.php?2725-Ruger-Mini-30-Tactical),

the one with the 16in bbl, flash hider and factory 20rd magazine.
I have the Mini 14 (.223Rem / 5.56 NATO) and I am giving serious thought to getting the Mini 30.

- Ammo is cheaper, and more powerful. (you can get cheap Tula/Wolf steel case for bulk shooting, and you can get American made Remington, Winchester etc for hunting and more serious purposes)
- Accuracy of the new guns is all pretty good.
- I live in Maine and I would like to use my Mini for deer hunting on occasion, at least I would like to have that option. The .223 really doesn't have the horsepower to do the job to my satisfaction, the 7.62x39 has just enough.

My vote is for the Mini 30 in 7.62x39.

maxpress

Buckeye
All depends on what your going to shoot.
The mini 30 that I had years ago had much bigger groups. Dont knnow about the newer batches.

Old Judge Creek

Single-Sixer
The fact is, the 7.62x39 is a slightly more versatile round. By that I mean it'll reliably take a wider variety of game ( two and four legged) than will the .223.

It's also arguably the most commonly manufactured rifle cartridge manufactured in the world today. Supplies aren't likely to ever be 'too' scarce.

I've had both the Mini-14 and the Mini-30. Between the two, I much prefer the Mini-30...

But the fact is I prefer even more, my Ruger M77RSI .308 and it's 'companion' M1A SOCOM16.

.... But whatta I know?

:lol:

Al James

Buckeye
luvs2hunt62 said:
as a side note, the russian ammo is .311 the barrel on the mini 30 is .308.

Ruger stopped making the mini 30's barrel .308 and switched to .310 many years ago. [20+ IIRC] Because of the cheap Chinese and the Russian ammo that you mentioned. I would think pressures were running a little high. :shock:

FergusonTO35

Hunter
Since you handload I would recommend the .223/5.56. There is a huge variety of bullets and data available for the .223 nowadays, including many real deer bullets such as the Nosler Partition and Barnes TSX. That can't be said for the 7.62X39 which owes most of its popularity to imported, low cost rifles and ammo.

ohiobenito

Bearcat
my mini bounces the cases off the bolt handle so bad that the mouth of the case is dented half way in. this makes it a little harder to reload, that and it spits the cases 30 yds to the right. in my experience reloading and the mini don't go together

mrgaf

Single-Sixer
ohiobenito said:
my mini bounces the cases off the bolt handle so bad that the mouth of the case is dented half way in. this makes it a little harder to reload, that and it spits the cases 30 yds to the right. in my experience reloading and the mini don't go together

Hmmmm. Been reloading for many moons for both flavors of mini, both old and new editions, and the only denting I've ever encountered is a small one just below the case shoulder, which has no effect on reloading. :?

sargents1

Single-Sixer
mrgaf said:
ohiobenito said:

Hmmmm. Been reloading for many moons for both flavors of mini, both old and new editions, and the only denting I've ever encountered is a small one just below the case shoulder, which has no effect on reloading. :?

I too get dents on the case-mouth with the Mini 14. Generally its not a problem for reloads, but I have so much .223 brass that I dont really worry about getting lots of reloads out of my brass, so I could see how this could create a problem after four or five reloads.

Usually I shoot Steel Case thru mine...

FergusonTO35

Hunter
My Sig P225 9X19 dents about 1/4 of the ejected case mouths. It doesn't seem to hurt anything. I have some brass fired out of it that has been reloaded a dozen times and hasn't even required trimming.

Latest posts