Nickel Plated 357 Blackhawk Flat-Top Information- PICS ADDED

Help Support Ruger Forum:

oldiron1

Single-Sixer
Hi, I'm brand new to the "Ruger" world as I'm really wanting to research a revolver that I inheritted from my Dad who passed away.

I know he bought it from a collector years back. It's marked on the left side as "Ruger .357 CAL Blackhawk" On the right side, the stamped serial number is 26001.

Through internet research, I've found that it would be a 1960 model and it is a "type 3? A few oddities that I'm wondering about include the fact that it's Nickel plated with wood grips as I haven't found any articles staiting that nickel plating was an option for this model? It also has a screw-type adjustable sight labled as "micro" which I read was on early Blackhawks.

Any help, guidance and optionions are greatly appreciated! Thanks again! Rob

Does it look little like this? :lol:
Jim
Nickel357andsunset.jpg

OH Yea welcome to forum.

oldiron1

Single-Sixer
Thanks for posting the picture.

Mine does look similar with two noticable differences.

-Either your barrel is longer or the plunger on mine is longer, because the plunger on mine is the same length as the barrel (4 and 5/8"?)
-The rear of my trigger guard is more rounded than yours.

Thanks! Rob

flatgate

Hawkeye
oldiron1,

It appears, via your description, that you have a "non-factory" plated .357 Flattop. Ruger did indeed have a few guns plated and used them for "Display Only" purposes. Here's a pic of one of those displays.
237991017.jpg

In mid/late '60's a small batch of adjustable sight Single-Sixes were plated and sold through normal channels. They are quite scarce.
12639255.jpg

I had one but it moved away.........

Many of we collectors have managed to acquire a plated Ruger or two...

45520175.jpg

flatgate

SAJohn

Hunter
Here is mine in .44 mag:
44FlattopNi1.jpg

One of these days I will chemically strip that finish and reblue it. On a sunny day it is nearly impossible to sight these things.

chet15

Hawkeye
Ummmm. You guys should check out your reference materials! It seems to me that oldiron1 has found "THE" factory plated BKH-34, although it is more than likely chrome instead of nickel.
Just look at Volume 1 of "Reference of Ruger Firearms" and JD's P&R Book. Was shipped to Sloans in New York on May 13, 1966 along with the chrome BKH-47, BKH-40 and a chrome plated S47 sn 1006.
oldiron1....your next step would be to give the factory a call in Newport, ask for records and request a factory letter on that gun.
You have one of the rarest and most desireable Ruger SA's ever produced!! It was used on Ruger's NRA show display from at least 1959 to probably 1963, was returned to stock, and then Ruger sold it to Sloan's, possibly as a factory "second" or "used" gun.
Congratulations are in order sir!!!!
Chet15

RonS

Single-Sixer
Fingers crossed for oldiron1! Hope it checks out original.

oldiron1

Single-Sixer
Guys, Thank you for the warm welcomes to this forum!

Just now reading the replies since I logged off yesterday afternoon for Thanksgiving Festivities, I'll I can say is "WOW", I'm shaking in anticipation of confirming the history behind this Ruger that my Dad left me.

Chet15, Where can I find the "JD's P&R" book that you referanced?

I'd be more than happy to post pictures, however I'm not sure how just yet. Could I email pictures to a more experianced forum member to post?

Thanks again!! Rob

flatgate

Hawkeye
Rob,

dougan_F.jpg

Click Here

To post pics you need to have them stored on a "server" that will assign a URL to each individual image.

Or, send them to me and I'll stick them on my Photobucket account.

We'd love to see that Flattop!

flatgate

chet15

Hawkeye
jimbo1096 said:
WOW - and WOW again. What a find if it turns out as Chet suggests. Got me all excited just hoping it's true. Ruger history resurfaces. Can't wait to see some pictures!

I'm not sure why it wouldn't check out with the factory. In fact, every one of those plated Blackhawks should letter as plated.
oldiron1 gave the serial number 26001 which is documented as being plated.
If on the slim chance the factory won't letter it as plated, then there is an invoice out ther somewhere (JD has obviously seen it) that has these guns listed as plated.
I've always held the belief that if a Ruger was factory plated and shipped that way, then it will letter as factory plated. Can't wait to hear what you hear back from Ruger!
Can everybody say "Creme-de-la-Creme"?
Also, I would be very interested in knowing if there are any records telling of how your father got this revolver originally. You said he got it from a collector, but that individual must not have known what it was, or its a good chance that it would have been discovered by the "collector circle" long before now. Also, I'll bet Sloan's knew these plated flattops were somewhat special so I wonder if this collector friend of your father knew somebody who was pretty well placed at Sloan's?
May I ask what state your dad was from??
Chet15

oldiron1

Single-Sixer
Flatgate, Thanks for the link to the book!

I didn't even think of the Photobucket idea as I have a photobucket account. I just took a few pictures of the gun this afternoon and uploaded them to my Photobucket account. Below is the link.....let me know if it works.

http://s984.photobucket.com/albums/ae330/oldiron1/Ruger%20357%20Blackhawk/

Thanks again! Rob

Also, I tried calling Ruger today and found that they're closed for the Thanksgiving holiday.

chet15

Hawkeye
flatgate said:
Wow, never in a million years would I have guessed that!

:shock:

flatgate

This is why I don't discount anything. Believe it or not, that one in a million needle in a haystack does show up at least every two or three years.
Chet15

oldiron1

Single-Sixer
Hi Chet,

My dad (same town I live in currently as well) lived in SE Wisconsin. Honestly, I know Dad didn't have a clue as to the significance of this gun nor I'm sure he's heard of Sloans. I actually need to clarify that my dad personally didn't buy it from a collector but rather a small gun store who handled a collector's estate.

There is a very small sporting goods shop in the small town he lived in that he visited regularly who tended to have a variety of pre-owned revolvers. About 15 years ago, my dad, brother and I walked into the gun shop as we always did on Saturday Mornings. The owner mentioned that he just inquired a few handguns from a collector's widow, as the gentleman had recently passed away. He asked my dad if he'd be interested and that that day he bought the Ruger as the glimmer and condition really caught his eye. It's been stored in a sock drawer ever since.

Rob

chet15

Hawkeye
Thanks for the history Rob! Had a glimmer of hope that those other plated flattops might be able to be turned up.
And by the way...those are some happy socks!
Chet15

DGW1949

Hunter
Man oh man, what a nice gun. It looks like they spent quite a bit of time picking out those grips too. I bet there weren'tt a lot of zebra-striped XR3's floating around at that time either.

Wow....just wow!

DGW

Latest posts