Vultures

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Anyone recognize this?

dIAC1KFh.jpg

contender

Ruger Guru
DAMN! My old unit. If you want to get rid of it,, I'd love to own it. I can't find my old patches. And if you make it back down here,, I will show you an old nose battery box cover with the same artwork. When we were de-activated, they were having us paint over all the old nose art, and I managed to swap one out & keep the original one.

contender said:
DAMN! My old unit. If you want to get rid of it,, I'd love to own it. I can't find my old patches. And if you make it back down here,, I will show you an old nose battery box cover with the same artwork. When we were de-activated, they were having us paint over all the old nose art, and I managed to swap one out & keep the original one.
I kinda figured you would reorganize it. I don't have it but found it while searching for another unit I had been associated with. Figured I would post it. Look here for more: https://www.patchquartermaster.com/162nd_AHC_Vultures_Patch_p/aahc1623.htm

"Mike Armstrong wrote:
What was this unit's primary mission?
(If nobody tells me, i'll just have to assume it was some kinda airborne Graves Registration....)."

It was an "Assault Helicopter Company" that Contender had been in. That was the reason I posted it.

contender

Ruger Guru
Yep, Frank is right. Assault Helicopter Company. Mostly active in Vietnam. It was disbanded in 1977 or 1978,, (I can't recall, as it didn't stand out to me then.) We were moved from West Ft. Hood to the main base, & re-organized as the 227th Avn Company.
Primary birds were Huey's, but a sister Company had Cobras, and Kiowa's.
The vulture logo was adopted due to the old phrase; "Patience my ***, I'm gonna kill something."
I used to have a T-shirt with that logo & all.
And I did have a patch somewhere in my stuff,, but I haven't seen it in MANY, MANY years. It's in a baggie with some patches my brother had from his time in Nam. Somewhere,,,,,,,,,,,,,??????????

I still have my unit crest though.