Longhorn cattle

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Not what you normally see on an eastern US farm about three miles from me.

l0EBTZ2h.jpg

Longhorn on the right and looks like Scottish Highlander on the left. Some of the best beef cattle I raised were from Highland cows covered by low line angus bulls. Highlander horns are t as long but their long shaggy coats are their distinct feature. Very seldom found them in the barn even during wet Oregon winters.

contender

Ruger Guru
We have a few places around here that have plenty of Longhorn cattle. One place has a few hundred head.
Still, not what you expect "back east!"
:D :D

Neat pic!

Reminds me that in the past horn was a very valuable commodity, apart from the rest of the critter. Used for things that we use plastic and glass for now; I'm sure gun people can think of some of them. And it is "plastic" up to a point--moldable, formable, imprintable with heated dies.

California exported tons and tons of horn, tallow, and leather to Europe and the US East Coast back when Mexican longhorns had the run of the state. The beef mostly got 'et by California Condors, grizzlies and wolves.

My folks' ranch had a literal hill of old bones left from when it was owned by Gen. Mariano Vallejo, and our creek was known (still is) as Arroyo de las Matanzas ("Slaughter Creek").

32shooter

Blackhawk
I see more and more longhorns in my area. I would like to have one of those heads to hang in the family room, might make my Wife stop complaining about my deer heads that are hanging around in there now. :lol: :wink:

coach

Hunter
I was out that way a few weeks ago and I saw them too. Not sure if it was the same place but I had never seen Longhorns around here either.

coach

Hunter
I have a couple of jobs in Havre de Grace and Aberdeen but I don't remember being on that particular road. I just remember the Longhorns and thinking that you don't see them around these parts very often.

Rick Courtright

Hawkeye
Wyandot Jim said:
Well it looks to me like Cattle Rustling is still thriving on the Right Coast :wink: Those Beefs had to be stolen from Texas. Get a rope Boys. Beer for my Horses and Whisky for my Men :D

Hi,

One of our "field trips" during my HS government class was to the courthouse to watch a trial. Now this is SoCal, where you never know what you're going to run into. An hour from me to the west are 20 million people, an hour to the east and there are hardly any. So we walked into the court room and quietly took our seats to watch part of the trial. What was it about?

Well, defendant was charged with cattle rustling. White guy, crime committed on the rez! Fortunately the natives have settled down some in the last 100 years or so and they hauled him to court instead of up one of the canyons where the hungry buzzards live! We didn't get to stay long enough to learn his fate at the hand of the judge.

As to longhorns, there's a fellow around here who has a "hobby herd" of a dozen or so, and there's a local ranch that breeds 'em commercially. Leftovers from when we were part of TX perhaps? Oh, wait, we were both part of Mexico back when, weren't we? ;)

Rick C