Another Old Barn

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Chief 101

Hunter
This is getting to be the last of the old barns in my immediate area. This one is just down the road from where BPJ buys fuel...
wcTyDFS.jpg

It still is in use storing machinery, but their is the for sale sign out front and the fields are not planted....

Neat pic!

In the late winter when no hunting seasons were open, we used to find these old barns out in the Palouse Prairie along the WA/ID line. They were long abandoned because there was no need of farm animals once the harvests were fully mechanized (or people!). Some, like this one you show, were works of art.

Our real motive for sniffing these out (using old AAF photo montages from the 30s to the '50s) was that they were full of feral rock doves (what anybody but a bird nerd would call "pigeons"). Toss a rock on the roof and start blasting-- free "blue rocks"! We ate some of them, but mainly left them for the coyotes. I suspect that most of these have been burned down or demolished now in the trend toward "clean farming."

Beautiful old barn.
Growing up in Farm Country along with the close by Amish Farms they were a barns were a joy to see. Not so much fun cleaning out and spreading the winters manure or filling the silo in spring
But it needs a "Chew Mail Pouch Tobacco" sign on it :D :D

th

Chief 101

Hunter
That is a great barn pic W. The barn in my pic has a concrete silo on the off side...if I got the silo in the pic so would other more modern things be in the pic...

Chief 101

Hunter
Thanks Wendy, my last barn was about the same age only larger, it was removed for Interstate offramp construction a dozen years ago.

coach

Hunter
My SIL & BIL build a house on the foundation of an old barn. It still has the silo foundation in the basement. It was a typical barn for the area built on a slope for level access to both floors. The entire farm had been subdivided for a housing development 30 years ago and they got one of the last lots probably because nobody wanted to deal with the old barn. Much of the floor structure was able to be used although the rest of the barn was taken down.

Great picture , and was just trying to imagine what it would take to climb that roof and replace shingles....let alone who put them on the in the first place :shock:

....and that is why the Amish get them YOUNG boys to do that kind of work 8) :roll: :wink:

Chief 101

Hunter
LbHhSEd.jpg

Here is another shot from the same spot...using the for sale sign to steady the camera

coach

Hunter
What's with the roof shape do you think? To maximize hay storage? I don't think I've ever seen it before.
Not a roof I would want to shingle either even in my younger days.

Chief 101 said:
That is not a shingle job I would want to do...

That barn needs more than shingles major sag in the center! Too bad
the owner does not get after that, that would cost a fortune to replace in today's world! Old barns are awesome. I was told by an old timer those bowed roof barns were build from ribs of old sailing vessels, I have now Idea but he may be correct. ps

Chief 101

Hunter
powder smoke said:
Chief 101 said:
That is not a shingle job I would want to do...

That barn needs more than shingles major sag in the center! Too bad
the owner does not get after that, that would cost a fortune to replace in today's world! Old barns are awesome. I was told by an old timer those bowed roof barns were build from ribs of old sailing vessels, I have now Idea but he may be correct. ps
That barn is certainly seen better days, not sure that it will even be there a year from not tho...and I'm sure the farmer knows that...