Ruger AR9 "Stormtrooper" Pistol Build

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Aqualung

Blackhawk
Well, two years ago, the thought of an AP pistol intrigued me...admittedly influenced by some "Stormtrooper" pistols I've seen on the net...as I'm a Star Wars nerd.

But, I always thought .223/5.56 was waaaay too much for a pistol, so thought about alternatives. I thought of .300 Blackout, because I built a rifle in that caliber, but also thought I'd expand my horizons a bit. I then thought "how about 9mm?". I'd been accumulating other pistols in 9mm and was getting pretty sold on the caliber, so looked into what I needed to do to make my own "Stormtrooper" pistol.

I picked up a Ruger stripped AR556 lower and started building on that.

I got all the parts purchased, going for a two-tone gray look (which actually resulted in multi-tone, since all the grays don't exactly match...oh well). So I got the upper and lower assembled and then tried putting them together...They didn't fit.

Between the Sylvan Arms Colt-Style mag adapter block and the Bear Creek Arsenal Bolt, the upper and lower would not go together.

So, I started working on the "ears" of the feed ramp of the adapter block with hand files to where I could get everything together and give the bolt enough clearance to work. Once done that, I tried feeding some dummy rounds and they consistently jammed. At this point, I was pretty frustrated.

So, I placed a call to Sylvan Arms, based in Myrtle Beach, NC (this is relevant, though I did not know their location at the time) and spoke to some folks down there. They were very accommodating and told me that they'd be willing to send me another block at no charge. Meanwhile, in the course of the discussion, they informed me that it may be delayed because they were preparing for Hurricane Florence, which was due to hit them dead-on in a few hours. At this point, I was amazed that they had even answered the phone, let alone discussed my issues when they were going to get slammed by a darn hurricane...I told them to forget about sending anything at this point, or even worrying about anything but their own safety, wished them luck and hung up with them.

I then shelved the project for two years...until working at home due to COVID-19 had me in my reloading room/office with the build "calling" to me...so I started tinkering with it again.

I did some more research and send some emails and in the meantime, did a little more filing on the feed ramp to the block and got it to feed a bit better...it fed well from the left side of the magazine, but not the right (Colts are double-stack, double-feed).

Sylvan Arms was great...even after two years and with full knowledge that a hack gunsmith (me) was hammer-handing around at their product with files, they sent me another mag block for nothing. We all were sort of believing that there was something wrong with the tolerances of the original block.

The replacement block arrived and I installed it with the same results as the original...it didn't fit...now, that left the bolt as the "problem child".

I'd written to Bear Creek Arsenal, telling them my challenge and asked for their input. It was about three weeks after my initial email when they responded. they informed me that the bolt was not compatible with Colt-style magazines...it was a Glock-style bolt...How I missed that when I bought it, I don't know.

So, I purchased a correct-style bolt and surprise...everything went together like a champ. It hand-cycles and feeds dummy rounds perfectly. Now, I just need to get to the range or up to camp to try it out...

I freely admit that I didn't go top of the line, name-brand parts, as I wanted to keep the cost low. It's not going to get shot a lot, I imagine. If the novelty wears off, it may get switched into a carbine...

QmvVhww.jpg

HTbldpb.jpg

Aqualung

Aqualung

Blackhawk
Kevin said:
Looks like it would be fun to shoot. Is that a bump stock on it? Can you still buy those?

It's not a bump stock, just a foam sleeve that goes over the pistol buffer tube.

I'm going to try it without a brace (don't plan on shouldering it) and see how it goes. I do have a brace that might get put onto it if it's too unruly to shoot.

Aqualung

RSIno1

Hunter
Also, if you stick a shoulder stock (bump or otherwise) on it you have created a NFA firearm SBR - short barrel rifle. You also need to use a lower receiver that was originally sold as a pistol. This site has a pretty good write up on the pitfalls of AR pistol building.
https://veriforcetactical.com/2019/04/18/ar-15-pistol-legalities-on-building-and-converting-lowers-and-rifles/

Aqualung

Blackhawk
RSIno1 said:
Also, if you stick a shoulder stock (bump or otherwise) on it you have created a NFA firearm SBR - short barrel rifle. You also need to use a lower receiver that was originally sold as a pistol. This site has a pretty good write up on the pitfalls of AR pistol building.
https://veriforcetactical.com/2019/04/18/ar-15-pistol-legalities-on-building-and-converting-lowers-and-rifles/

Your first statement is true. The only attachment I can legally attach in the current state is a brace.

To add to your second statement, to build a pistol, you need to use a lower originally sold as a pistol or a stripped lower that was not previously assembled into any form. That is what mine was, built from a stripped lower.

Also, legally, I can add a long barrel to the upper and refit the lower with a shoulder stock to make a carbine, but can never again return it to pistol configuration.

I did a lot of homework before getting into the build to make sure it was legal.

That was a good article you provided. Thanks for the advice.

Aqualung

Aqualung

Blackhawk
Well...it works! And I thought I might need it it clear a path to get back home today, but that's a different story there...

I took it with me up to Camp yesterday when my uncle and I went up to check on the place, mow the grass and the like. At the end of the day, I loaded up a 10-round mag with some fmj ball.

I snapped it in and squeezed off the 10 rounds, just like that. No issues and VERY pleasant to shoot! I just wanted to test for function and I'm pleased with the results. The sight's not bore-sighted or sighted in, but the gun goes "pop" when the trigger is pulled, so that's a start.

Aqualung

RSIno1 said:

Yes, your first sentence is true. However you can install a forearm brace and be totally legal. Here is my 9mm AR pistol with a brace. And yes, you can, by BATFE ruling, put the brace up to your shoulder and you HAVE NOT created a SBR. The BATFE has ruled that just because a person shoulders a pistol with a brace they have not changed the characteristics of the original build.

hmIipzwh.jpg

Here are three that I have built (top to bottom - 5.56/.223, 9mm, .300 Blackout) The 5.56 and .300 Blackout were made from 80% lowers
GYX1ngxh.jpg

Aqualung, you stated: "Also, legally, I can add a long barrel to the upper and refit the lower with a shoulder stock to make a carbine, but can never again return it to pistol configuration."

Actually you can. Here is the ruling by the ATF:

Can I lawfully make a pistol into a rifle without registering that firearm?

Assuming that the firearm was originally a pistol, the resulting firearm, with an attached shoulder stock, is not an NFA firearm if it has a barrel of 16 inches or more in length.

Pursuant to ATF Ruling 2011-4, such rifle may later be unassembled and again configured as a pistol. Such configuration would not be considered a "weapon made from a rifle" as defined by 26 U.S.C. § 5845(a)(4).

[26 U.S.C. § 5845, 27 CFR § 479.11]

And as for making a rifle into a pistol:

Can I lawfully make a rifle into a pistol without registering that firearm?

No. A firearm that was originally a rifle would be classified as a "weapon made from a rifle" if it has either a barrel less than 16 inches in length or an overall length of less than 26 inches. If an individual wishes to make an NFA firearm, they must first submit ATF Form 1 (Application to Make and Register a Firearm), pay a $200.00 making tax, and receive approval of the application from ATF before converting the firearm.

[18 U.S.C. § 921(a)(3); 26 U.S.C. § 5845(a)(3)-(4)]

You CAN make a rifle into a pistol but you have to file a Form 1 and pay the $200 for the tax stamp. Now why you would want to I do not know.

In the AR world, think of it this way:

Virgin stripped lower receiver - can be made into a pistol or a rifle. If made into a pistol, it could later be made into a rifle and later reverted back to a pistol - perfectly legal. If made into a rifle, legally it cannot be made into a pistol (but who would know? I AM NOT ADVOCATING DOING ANYTHING ILLEGAL). Even if the lower is engraved with "Pistol" on it it is still just a virgin receiver, the wording means nothing on a virgin stripped receiver.

Manufactured AR rifle - legally cannot be made into a pistol without filling out the Form 1 and paying the the tax stamp. (Again, who would know without extensive investigation, I AM NOT ADVOCATING DOING ANYTHING ILLEGAL)

Manufactured AR Pistol - legally can be made into a rifle and back again at a later time if you want.

Manufactured AR "complete" lower receiver with a pistol brace OR lower receiver with a rifle buttstock - these are not a pistol or rifle until the upper receiver is attached. They are considered "Others" (on the BATFE Form 4473) and are no different than a virgin stripped receiver in the eyes of the BATFE.

Aqualung

Blackhawk
Ron,

I stand corrected. Thanks for the info. It's hard to keep up.

Thanks again.

Your pistols are really nice, by the way. If I couldn't get the 9mm working, .300 Blackout was next, since I already have my rifle I built in that caliber.

Aqualung

All of my lowers are initially assembled as pistols no matter what upper is going to end up on them. Once a pistol legal to convert into a rifle and back. Once a rifle illegal to make into a pistol.

RSIno1

Hunter
Starting with unbuilt AR lower - what does it say on the DROS? It can say rifle, pistol or other. Other is the best definition you want on the record.
There was a big stink several years ago over the Thompson Contender and how it could be made into an SBR and also swapping back and forth from legal rifle to legal pistol.
The bottom line was it was legal to make/remake any firearm as long as you did not assemble an NFA item. So a pistol with any length barrel was legal and a rifle that had 16" barrel and overall length of 26" was legal. Putting a 12" barrel on a frame with a shoulder stock made an illegal NFA item.
There is a PDF on the ATF website of the ruling.

Yeah everything is subject to change without notice. One minute you can shoulder your pistol brace and the next you will be a federal felon for possessing one!!!