My OM 357 with Maple Burl Grips

Help Support Ruger Forum:

I don't often take this one to the range. I did the other day, but didn't even shoot. It was just too windy, and wasn't fun after a while. Although, the range manager was there, and as I was leaving, I told him it's too windy. He tells me, "Well, everyone can shoot when it ISN'T windy." Yes, I know, he's right.

These are Maple Burl Grips by Private Schultz. It seems lately there have been a lot of posts about custom grips. I sent him the grip frame and so the fit is spot on perfect. I'm not sure if he's still making grips or not.

I do like the 4 5/8 barrel, It's my only short barreled revolver. And my only Old Model which is center-fire. So it's a keeper.
ZVEj8xBl.jpg

1sFapvBl.jpg

5zjnNbOl.jpg

Thanks. I guess to be clear, I've had the gun for probably 5 years, and got the wooden grips shortly after getting the gun.

I should shoot it more, but for some reason it just rests comfortably in the safe.

contender

Ruger Guru
Well, by all appearances,, that gun is a perfect shooter. It needs more range time. Get that puppy out more,, as it looks great & begs for some range time!

BearBio

Buckeye
OM Blackhawks just cry out for shorter barrels! The burlwood looks great. Had some on a 3.5" Vaquero that I had. Looked and shot great!

Hey Kevin,
You might want to go to Bass Pro and get ya some of that Cold Blue stuff to fix that baby right up. Naaaaaaaaaaa just messin with ya. It looks great as is.

Here are a few that Ruger never made. In the perfect barrel length of 5-1/2" The one in the middle was the first big bore that I owned which I bought in 1967. It has probably had at least 150,000-200,000 rounds thru it over the years

Jim:
Those are some nice looking revolvers. The one in the middle, which you say has been fired so much has a great patina.

But my revolver's finish is in almost pristine shape. It must be a reflection showing the lighter bluing.

Those OM revolvers do have a different shade of "black" than the newer revolvers.

Jim:
Those are some nice looking revolvers. The one in the middle, which you say has been fired so much has a great patina.

Kevin,
That isn't patina/rust. The top and middle ones were case harden by Doug Turnbull. The CH has aged over time by being in the sun and use. :wink: They have both won a few competitions :wink: . They are pretty smooth ole shooters. They were CH, barrels cut to 5-1/2", steel ejector rod housings ,and a black powder cut on the cylinders, Gunfighter grips, plus I polished the internals and installed lighter springs.
The bottom one has an XR-3 grip frame with the old style rubber grips and smoothed action.
I do not allow patina on my stuff :D :D :D :D :D

BDM1

Single-Sixer
Great looking gun all-around. So much figure in those grips, it's like looking at something swirling around in water. Beautiful! I also noticed the gun carrier it's laying on. I have lots of pistol "rugs", but i am wanting a satchel type also, they look so handy, with pockets for extra "stuff". Thanks for posting!