Piebald Visitor

Help Support Ruger Forum:

mrbumps

Blackhawk
Yesterday morning visitors. Piebald Doe on the left has been a regular in our meadow since she was a fawn four years ago.

BearBio

Buckeye
Likely what biologists call a "chimera"==the fusion of two embryos resulting in splotchy and different DNA within one individual. Rare but it does occur.

Out West, I've seen a few of these, but for whatever reason, I've never heard the term piebald. Maybe it's a regional term.

There's a little canyon at the South end of my town that was known to produce a few of these, and I used to see them occasionally. I've not seen them for 10 years, so I suppose the gene pool that produced these variegated deer has dried up.

About 40 years ago, during the late buck hunt, I sneaked up on a bedded forked horn buck. I shot him in his bed. When I got to him he had the "piebald", I called pinto hide color. The only one I have seen.... I have a picture around here somewhere. Will share if I find it.

I have a similar looking one that hangs around here only instead of piebald she is HLS. For those that don't know, HLS is hair loss syndrome. Some sort of parasite that makes them scratch and lick until their hair is gone. In severe cases like this they aften don't make it through winter for 2 reasons---no hair to insulate them for the winter and they spend so much time scratching and licking they don't eat. I had 3 or 4 of them last year but just this one this year. It is pretty sad to watch because while she is standing there scratching and licking, all the others are eating and sleeping. Since the temps have warmed I guess she has made it through the winter this time. Guess the won't have to worry about shedding for the summer. Her yearling in the bottom picture just squeaked by with a touch of it. These were taken 2-4 weeks ago before the leaves came out.