Just couple blackbirds

Help Support Ruger Forum:

From the time I saw the first bird till they had eaten and were gone was probably less than two minutes. The photos doesn't show those still in the air. It was actually a combination of blackbirds and grackles
F6DKreoh.jpg

coach

Hunter
Starlings or grackles I bet. I have a couple trees with ornamental berries that a flock will descend on and strip in a couple hours. The flocks of thousands are amazing to watch as they travel back and forth.

As a kid in Atlanta, Ga, we lived close to Utoy Creek. The vast hoards of blackbirds would fly in to roost. The sky would be filled with them, blotting out the sun for 30 minutes at a time! Now here in Tn the flocks are but 10% of what I used to see. Probably loss of habitat?
gramps

coach said:
Starlings or grackles I bet. I have a couple trees with ornamental berries that a flock will descend on and strip in a couple hours. The flocks of thousands are amazing to watch as they travel back and forth.
Blackbirds and grackles. (see OP). Later that day I was driving up a nearby street and the flock took off and paralleled my car I was traveling at 30 MPH and they were staying side by side with me.

Cholo

Staff member
gramps said:
As a kid in Atlanta, Ga, we lived close to Utoy Creek. The vast hoards of blackbirds would fly in to roost. The sky would be filled with them, blotting out the sun for 30 minutes at a time! Now here in Tn the flocks are but 10% of what I used to see. Probably loss of habitat?
gramps
I remember those flocks in the early 90's. One time I was with a GF traveling about half way between Nashville and Chattanooga. That flock was every bit of a mile long and 250 yds wide. It was sweeping and curving all thru the sky. I imagined having a belt fed shotgun :) I pitied any home they roosted near.

Any starlings, cowbirds or grackles landing in my yard become Red Tailed Hawk food.