JT and Skeeter Tribute

Help Support Ruger Forum:

This gun has been in the works down at Johns for a number of years. I have always been captivated by JT's SS4 gun which was made in honor of Skeeter Skelton. I believe there were six friends of Skeeters who all had 44 Specials built to honor Skeeter and JT's was put together by Bill Grover if I remember correctly. It features a steel two piece grip frame, one piece ivories, Grover's front sight and base pin and I am sure a number of other fine touches. I sent an old model Ruger flat top down to John many years ago along with a box of parts that included one piece ivories, a Powers two piece steel grip frame, an actual TLA base pin and front sight I was able to secure from Steve Webb along with a steel ERH and a bulls eye ejector rod. I asked John to engrave the initials JT/SS on the bottom of the main frame. To make this gun a personal piece I had to have John install one of Davids bisley spurred hammers and I asked to John to put his logo on the top of the main frame. It was with both joy and sadness when I opened the box today. With John's recent health diagnosis I had told him to just box the base gun and parts up and ship it back and I would decide if I ever wanted to have it finished sometime in the future and he totally surprised me and told me he had just about finished the project and that it would be coming home. John even regulated the three action screws on this gun! There were two other guns in the box but I will post about them later. This one will not go to anyone but one of my children some day.
j5ZRcY2.jpg

OdWpDu7.jpg

bCTdhCv.jpg

Py0hTRT.jpg

QXEuepM.jpg

lVY2fXJ.jpg

Thank you folks. I have been in touch with John T. just to confirm the features and it looks like other than some markings which Bill Grover applied versus Johns logo and the different hammer, we matched Johns original gun pretty darn close. His ivory grips came from a newer piece of ivory without all the checking but I can live with that. It was due to Johns writings that I began my travels down the heretic road of customer revolvers! Yes I am a Rugerphile infidel but it is what it is!

BearBio

Buckeye
Love the gun but hate the etching! Looks like someone used a vibra-tool engraver. Sorry but I think that lowers the value. Just my opinion.

Well sir, a person is entitled to their opinion. But considering the "etching" nearly matches the original gun in style and the fact that I asked John to do this last thing to the gun all the while hoping and praying that he beats his prognosis of dying from the cancer before this Thanksgiving, I can "live with it".

Alabama, in the bend of the Tennessee River
Beautiful, Robb. John G is an artist. I'm proud to have four sixguns he reworked for me; two OM flattop .44s he customized, a custom built NM .44 mag that I gave to my son, and an OM Super Single Six that he customized to my specs. As you said, none of these will go anywhere except to my kids/grandkids. They are the pride of my small collection of fine handguns.