29 for 30

Help Support Ruger Forum:

sixshot

Buckeye
Yesterday was HOT but I wanted to do some more shooting at 65 yds so I set up my 8X8 steel swinger target made by Bill Fowler (Excellent) and got in my normal sitting position with my knees drawn up, Elmer Keith style, put my piece of leather between my knees so I didn't get an owee & laid out my OM 41, 44 & 45. The 41 & 45's are both shorty's but shoot just fine with powder coated cast slugs in the 1000-1100 fps range that I normally shoot. The 6 1/2" 44 flat top runs a bit faster & lays 5 of Elmer's finest in a palm sized group if I do my part.
Shooting from this position you give up a bit of the best possible accuracy the guns are capable of but you get a more realistic idea of your own ability in the field so this is how I always practice. I ran 10 rounds through each gun before the sun had me beat down, I was painting the steel after every 5 shots & felt like a french fry after the 30 shots. I had to use the black side today, the white was totally blurred out because of the bright sun & the background.
I missed with my very first shot, it went high, the next 29 shots rang steel, the guns are ready I just need to keep shooting & working my way out to 150 yds along the way, that 8X8 piece of steel looks like a poker chip at distance!
J4PRFBuh.jpg

AWgSPkmh.jpg

NNAYu5zh.jpg

Dick

contender

Ruger Guru
Looking good!

Kinda like my daily practice for my upcoming elk hunt. I have a rack of 5 plates,, all 8" circles, that I shoot at daily. I am using different field positions,, but I'm using the Keith position the most. I also have a tripod shooting rest.
And I shoot 3 cylinders full,, or 18 rounds in my El Dorado,,, or 15 rounds in my FA. I'm shooting at progressively longer distances as I get better. I have to hit all plates each day for 3 consecutive days,, then I back up about 5 yds, and start over. With the El Dorado,, I'm at 60 yds,, and with the scoped FA,, 90 yds.