Ruger 2019 RSSE by Tyler Gun Works

Help Support Ruger Forum:

mm6mm6

Blackhawk

The limited edition Ruger RSSE from Tyler Gun Works (only 100 made) is an impressive revolver. As a 65th anniversary tribute to the original from Bill Ruger, TGW combined a stainless grip frame with a steel barrel/cylinder/frame that TGW carbona blued. The muzzle has a target crown, the action and trigger has been worked over, the cylinder chambers checked and aligned, and the barrel/cylinder gap tightened.

Each of the 100 grip frames were sent to Scott Kolar who then hand fitted the fancy walnut stocks with factory Ruger medallions. Rocky Sharp engraved each single action with a style similar to the original 1954 engraved Single Sixes. The TGW initials are intertwined into the engraving on the top of the barrel.

Mike "Doc" Barranti floral carved a serial numbered to the gun holster as on option as well.

Ruger and TGW really made a special gun. I cannot wait to shoot it!

-Steve

JohnBoy

Blackhawk
MINNESOTA - 6 months winter and 6 months rough sle
OK, that is gorgeous. Thanks for posting this, Steve! Great photos!

(Never mind the fact you just cost me a chunk of change!)

Despite that, a really great deal - in my opinion. Can hardly wait to get mine! :D

And, of course, another Barranti holster is also headed my way.

mm6mm6

Blackhawk
JohnBoy said:
OK, that is gorgeous. Thanks for posting this, Steve! Great photos!

(Never mind the fact you just cost me a chunk of change!)

Despite that, a really great deal - in my opinion. Can hardly wait to get mine! :D

And, of course, another Barranti holster is also headed my way.

Oh wow! Sorry to have cost you money, but not really sorry I suppose because you seem very happy! I will be shooting mine this weekend!

gunman42782

Hunter
The work that Bobby Tyler does is impressive, indeed. Beautiful gun, grips, and holster. I wish I could afford one!

mm6mm6

Blackhawk
JohnBoy said:
Hi there, Steve! I've been back to this thread daily just to appreciate your amazing photos! Excellent work.

Quick request: Could we get a range report? Thanks! Jon

Sure! I shot it on Saturday. I was outside at our cabin. I set up my target stand 50 feet away from my shooting table. I used a Hy Score rest to place the barrel on. My hands were unsupported. It was pure bright sunshine outside and my eyes are right around the corner from being 54 years old. I was having a difficult time placing the top of the front sight level with the top of the rear sight. This was due to my eyes and the sun glinting off the top of the deeply blued front sight.

My side to side sight picture was fine. My first shot was a bit low, but instead of adjusting, I just continued to shoot all six first shots with the exact same sight picture as good as I could get it. I really should have a better set up so I can rest my hands as well as the barrel.

So this was the result:

I called the flyer that went out of the bullseye to the right.

I gotta say, for a fixed sighted gun at 50 feet (I usually shoot standing offhand at 21 feet with combat pistols and more than doubling the distance while using a rest made me nervous), I was really impressed. Sometimes fixed sighted guns don't shoot directly to point of aim. l think Bobby Tyler is somewhat magical.

The trigger pull breaks at just over 5 pounds. It has the factory springs. I may install a set of Wolff Springs to lighten up the hammer pull (although it is getting lighter the more I shoot the gun).

I swapped targets for a Shoot N C and put 30 more rounds downrange at the same distance in the same manner. This was the result:

I fired a total of 100 rounds. I used the pictured Federal High Velocity Match ammo. I fired a couple cylinders full at my steel pistol targets up close and the RSSE shot and handled like all the other single actions I have. Flawlessly and easy to hit with shooting fast and one handed.

For grins I tried to hit a 10" steel plate at 160 yards. I missed all six rounds. At the end of my shooting session, I had two .22 long rifle rounds I found in the bottom of my shooting bag. I don't even know what make or velocity they were. I loaded them up, spun the cylinder around, and then aimed at the 160 yard target again.

I hit the dang thing with both rounds! The "ding" off the steel surprised me and my wife. "You hit it!" Wow.

My other Single Sixes start to get dirty cylinders after around 50 shots or so. They become difficult to load and unload. The chambers get sticky and gunked up. It's hard to push new cartridges into the chambers and hard to knock them out with the ejector rod.

Not with this RSSE. I think Bobby polished the chambers before blueing the gun because after 100 rounds, this RSSE loaded and ejected like it was the first round fired out of a freshly cleaned gun.

I love this Ruger!

-Steve

The Norseman

Blackhawk
I keep coming back to this post to look at
that Fantastic Flat Gate.

Alright, Alright, Alright. Wow thank you so
much for shooting that Engraved Revolver.

Not very much impresses me anymore, but
when a Revolver Enthusiast shoots their
Engraved Revolver that IMPRESSES ME.

When one gets the knack of shooting those
Plow Handle Cowboy Guns, those RSS are
very accurate.

With my Dad's circa 1956 RSS Flat Gate at 50 feet
off hand two handed hold, I get groups like yours
and many times smaller. Several times at 90ft
(30yds) I've shot just over Quarter size.

I think it all boils down to it's very good triger and
the right 22lr. Mine likes Winchester Black Box
M22 1000ct bulk 2 pack box for some reason.

Again Thank You so much for sharing and the
pictures.

Sorry I can't post a picture of the '56, Dad
took really good care of it.

JohnBoy

Blackhawk
MINNESOTA - 6 months winter and 6 months rough sle
Thank you, Steve, for sharing your shooting experience! That is a KEEPER by all standards.

So great that you got to bang the gong at 160 yards!

Thanks again. I'm going to continue coming back to this post until I have mine in hand. What a day that will be!

Jon

mm6mm6

Blackhawk
Thanks guys! My dad shot every gun he ever owned. He once bought an unfired .44 Russian S&W break top at a gun show. This was 40 years ago. He cut down .44 Special brass to make .44 Russian brass and reloaded it. This was before .44 Russian started being made again when Cowboy Action Shooting got big.

The revolver shot great and my dad brought the target to the gun show. He walked up to the table of the big time collectible dealer he had bought the S&W from and said, "I brought this to show you how well that old .44 Russian shot."

The dealer exclaimed, "You shot it??????"

The thing is, shooting a gun doesn't hurt its value. Not cleaning it properly or scratching it up does.

I got this Ruger RSSE to carry and shoot on my property in Tennessee. I will never sell it. My heirs can decide if they want to sell it or keep it and shoot it some more.

I understand buying certain guns for their value with the intent of selling them for a profit. My dad had lots of guns that appreciated in value extraordinarily. But he passed away never having realized that actual value by selling them. As an example, he bought an M1 Carbine (Winchester with a General Motors barrel) for $5 back in the early 1960s when the Gov't was selling them off with only Post Office Money Orders as payment when the postman dropped off the gun (you could buy a 1911 for $5, the M1 Carbine for $5, but the 1903A3 .30-06 was $10 because everyone wanted one to deer hunt with!). When I had to sell my father's guns to raise money for my mom, that $5 gun sold for $1500! Nice profit! He shot it though!

mm6mm6

Blackhawk
JohnBoy said:
Thank you, Steve, for sharing your shooting experience! That is a KEEPER by all standards.

So great that you got to bang the gong at 160 yards!

Thanks again. I'm going to continue coming back to this post until I have mine in hand. What a day that will be!

Jon

Do me a favor Jon and post a pic or two or three replying to this post of your RSSE when it arrives!

-Steve

mm6mm6

Blackhawk
Here's my full review for those interested:

https://revolverguy.com/custom-single-six-tyler-gun-works-rsse/#more-6684

Joe S.

Hunter
mm6mm6 said:

I never made the connection this was your website.

mm6mm6

Blackhawk
Joe S. said:
mm6mm6 said:

I never made the connection this was your website.

Not "my" website, I just contribute to it. Justin runs it and runs it well. Mike Wood is a good friend of mine and he writes the most amazing articles about revolvers. He's written a book or two and I think he's the smartest guy I know. Since he flew combat missions over the middle east and now flies a commercial airliner, his IQ is sky high...literally. RevolverGuy has some really amazing content, and I'm not talking about my stuff!

mm6mm6

Blackhawk
JohnBoy said:
Great review and photos! Looks absolutely professional.

One question: Is the ad for the TGW available for purchase from some source?

Thanks again, Steve!

Jon

You mean the actually ad that Tyler produced? It's on his website. You can right click, copy, and then print!