Trying to ID a skeleton

Help Support Ruger Forum:

coach

Hunter
I was cutting the grass today and found this in a far corner of the yard. I probably hadn't been back there for two weeks, but it was easily visible. I was thinking maybe a fox, although the "foot" bones seemed more claw like. I did see a buzzard in a tree at the same location a few weeks ago. The head doesn't appear to be a bird though. Any thoughts?

coach

Hunter
Sorry I didn't put in something for scale. You can see the poplar leaf and various weeds. The spine and tail like bones were about 3 feet long. About the size of a good size fox. The skull was not connected. It was about 6 feet away, so I moved it for the photo

Could well be a fox. Look here: https://images.search.yahoo.com/search/images;_ylt=A2KIbZxuhWJdYIMAIgFXNyoA;_ylu=X3oDMTByMjB0aG5zBGNvbG8DYmYxBHBvcwMxBHZ0aWQDBHNlYwNzYw--?p=fox+skull+identification&fr=yfp-t-s

BearBio

Buckeye
Based on the sagittal crest, it is a dog or coyote. The key to the foxes is that the sagittal crest is shaped differently for each type: Arctic fox (Alopus) is shaped like an "A", red foxes (Vulpes) are shaped like an inverted "V" and grey foxes (Urocyon) are shed like an upside down "U". Just a trick from a Mammalogy final in grad school.

BearBio

Buckeye
We had to ID 100+ skulls for the final==You learn LOTs of little tricks==A badger is Taxidea taxus and the molars have "TT" in ridges on top of them! Followed by 20+ years as a mammologist for the Feds.

coach

Hunter
You made me look up what a sagittal crest is. Based on that and the link
Foxmike provided, I guess someone may be missing a pooch. :( Fox are regular visitors to the yard. I haven't seen any coyotes in the area, although I've heard they are in the state.

BearBio said:
We had to ID 100+ skulls for the final==You learn LOTs of little tricks==A badger is Taxidea taxus and the molars have "TT" in ridges on top of them! Followed by 20+ years as a mammologist for the Feds.
Now you are showing off! :mrgreen:
gramps

For me the teeth are always a good clue: big canines means a canine; big side "shearing" teeth a feline, rodents got two big chisels up front. Not sure where raccoon-like and weasel-like critters fit in, tho. And possum teeth are easy because they don't look like anything else--all pretty much just one shape, without any special "function teeth" like the rest of us mammals have.

Took "Zoo I" 60 years ago, and remember very little except that it was very interesting class for a hunter.