Shooting the OM 45

Help Support Ruger Forum:

sixshot

Buckeye
It was too hot to shoot from 65 yds today so I moved up to 40 yds so I could get in the shade of one of the storage containers & set up my folding chair in he shade, nice! I was shooting my old model 45 shorty convertible using the 260 gr Keith & 9 grs of Unique. This might be one of the classic loads in one of the classic calibers. I shot this load yesterday from 65 yds but the sun was high & my JB Weld front sight that Fermin hates so bad took a real beating. I couldn't see very good because I was getting some glare off that ramp front sight. I did manage to keep all 5 shots on steel but it was shaky.
Today in the shade things went much better, I settled in with no sun & slammed 5 of those big Keith slugs into the center of the steel clanger & then ran 5 off of the plate rack & went home happy. This is a fine shooting OM & I've yet to ever use the ACP cylinder. Took a muley doe with this gun last year at 58 yds through the heart. I did take the factory stocks off after yesterday, they are just too thin. I found an old set I had made a long time ago that fit pretty close.

3zWKj6Jh.jpg

5uPDf28h.jpg

SXZKu6Eh.jpg

pKdVc5hh.jpg

MDADmm6h.jpg

Dick

Alabama, in the bend of the Tennessee River
Very nice, Dick. My first six-gun ever was an old model .45 convertible 7 1//2". Wish I still had that one. Old model .45s were only made for three years, so there are actually fewer of those out there than Flattop .44s. I got out of the .45 Colt and .41 mag business years ago and went to .44s only, just to simplify casting, loading, and component inventory, but still love the .45s.