Black Snakes

Help Support Ruger Forum:

32shooter

Blackhawk
I was sitting on my Mother's deck this evening with her, my Brother and Aunt and I glanced over on the side of the old spring house that is standing(barely) between her house and garage and this is what I saw. The spring house has a sandstone in it dated 1858. It is falling down and is going to be torn down sometime this summer. The guys dismantling it might be in for a surprise.

Neat! I can imagine the surprise awaiting the carpenters. :shock:
Once, while helping the Kiwanis Club move some 'trash' and lumber we flipped some boards over and there were at least a gazillion black snakes there. Don't really know how many but there was a LOT of them. The boards did NOT get moved.

gunsbam69

Hunter
The party'd of been over for those two if I'd been there. Black snakes have a nasty disposition and bite. I destroy them so that Bull snakes may abound in their stead. That's a cool pic though. Too bad that shed is close to good buildings. Massive quick burning gasoline fueled fire is a great way to go on old buildings with black snakes packed up inside, especially old well houses that are full of them.

contender

Ruger Guru
"Black snakes have a nasty disposition and bite."

I politely beg to disagree sir. I am a State certified Animal Damage Control Agent,, and I deal with animals daily. And black snakes are not that way. In fact,, I OFTEN just walk up to them, pick them up WITHOUT restraint, supporting their weight, allowing them to move around in my hands, as I move them to a new home.

They can be a bit aggressive when shedding,,, or mating,, but not in general. Younger snakes seem more active & defensive,, but all of them prefer to avoid attacks by any predator. And often, a human is looked at as a predator. But calm actions are often accepted by them. I know folks who have them living in & around their hoses to where they are seen & enjoyed daily. Once they determine you are not a predator,, they are quite nice to have around. And they are excellent rodent control. They also keep poisonous snakes away.
Bull snakes are also a good snake to have around,, but not the only good snake.

32shooter

Blackhawk
Snakes don't bother me too much, as a rule we don't have any poisonous ones in my area so I just let them go about their business. These did not seem aggressive, I grabbed a broom and tickled the one on the chin with the handle, it seemed to enjoy it.

I am ok with snakes, except poisonous ones around my home. That being said, I haven't seen any poisonous snakes around my house. Back when I had chickens, oI noticed I wasn't collecting as many eggs in a week as usual. Then I reached in several days later and shizzam, I touched snake. Went and got a walking stick and light, ascertained a large black rat snake. His mouth was full of egg, so I picked him up carried him up the driveway 400 feet, and turned him loose in a ravine that had a bunch of woods rats. A week later same scenario, it was taken 600 feet up and over the knoll to a different ravine. Two weeks later, it was back. It had a very distinctive scar on its back, easy to tell it was the same snake, plus it was 7 ft long and as big around as my upper arm. Each time I grabbed it I had apoplexy. I killed it at that point.
gramps

contender

Ruger Guru
To relocate almost any wildlife,, you must move them 3-10 miles,, depending upon the species. In general,, I usually recommend at least 5 miles or more for LEGALLY relocating animals. And,, always take them to private property,, with the owners permission. It could be a felony if you relocate wildlife to Federal & some State property.

contender said:
To relocate almost any wildlife,, you must move them 3-10 miles,, depending upon the species. In general,, I usually recommend at least 5 miles or more for LEGALLY relocating animals. And,, always take them to private property,, with the owners permission. It could be a felony if you relocate wildlife to Federal & some State property.

We've got rules here regarding coyotes that state you can trap them with specific types of traps. But once caught you must kill them or release them on the spot. With so many bleeding hearts the result is way too many coyotes.

Heck, animal control gives you grief is you kill one you've trapped.

contender

Ruger Guru
Jeepnik,, in a lot of states,, it is illegal to relocate any mammal species due to disease concerns. Here in NC,, I can't relocate much,,, due to the laws. But we were discussing snakes,, so maybe my wording should have reflected that.
Coyotes,, can't be relocated & only released on the same spot where captured. But killing them is just fine & actually encouraged.

Snakes,, most species can be relocated,, but the Timber Rattlesnake is protected & you can't kill it. You must relocate or release on site. Other species,, your choice. We encourage relocation in general.

Rick Courtright

Hawkeye
contender said:
Snakes,, most species can be relocated,, but the Timber Rattlesnake is protected & you can't kill it. You must relocate or release on site. Other species,, your choice. We encourage relocation in general.

Hi,

Ty, do various kinds of snakes have anything like what we sometimes think of as "territory" such as many other animals do? We know various mammals have extensive territories, which I understand can affect the distance they must be moved for successful relocation, even before any homing instinct kicks in. Are reptiles that "advanced" or do they just kinda stay close to home as long as a tasty critter comes by often enough? And then only move as short a distance as required when pickin's get slim?

Rick C

contender

Ruger Guru
Yes,, snakes generally have a home territory as long as their needs are met. Just like most animals & such. When their needs are no longer available,, they do move. Last year,, I caught & relocated a female timber rattler & her 9 juvies from under a porch. They were there because a fire had ravaged the area all around this home about 1-1/2 years earlier,, and all the local homes had been saved. So,, that home had not been occupied,, until a few weeks prior to me getting the call. The snake had just found a nice place,, away from the burnt area,, and had her babies. They have a new home now.

WestTex

Single-Sixer
With those black snakes around I betcha there are zero copperheads around.

blume357 said:
I do my best to keep it.. We have a 6-7ft one that ate some baby birds a few weeks ago and my wife was quite dismayed ... but the reality is we like having the snake living under our house....

Oh and that comment about the copperheads might be right... I used to kill one or two a year and usually find that many run over in the road. Have not seen one in at least two years. And believe me we have copperheads in my neighborhood.

kevin masten

Blackhawk
Man! What a pair of beauties! Ever black snake I can capture, goes home with me and into the back yard they go. Even green snakes and garter snakes, attitude and all.

I had an second floor apartment back in the 70's that had Starlings, and sparrows nesting under the eaves. I worked nights, and they made it difficult to sleep. One day I heard something on the other side of the wall that sounded like someone was rubbing on the other side. I went up into the attic, and here come a big black rat snake. I calmly backed out of there, closed the door, and within a week, no more birds!
gramps

gunsbam69

Hunter
contender said:
"Black snakes have a nasty disposition and bite."

I politely beg to disagree sir. I am a State certified Animal Damage Control Agent,, and I deal with animals daily. And black snakes are not that way. In fact,, I OFTEN just walk up to them, pick them up WITHOUT restraint, supporting their weight, allowing them to move around in my hands, as I move them to a new home.

They can be a bit aggressive when shedding,,, or mating,, but not in general. Younger snakes seem more active & defensive,, but all of them prefer to avoid attacks by any predator. And often, a human is looked at as a predator. But calm actions are often accepted by them. I know folks who have them living in & around their hoses to where they are seen & enjoyed daily. Once they determine you are not a predator,, they are quite nice to have around. And they are excellent rodent control. They also keep poisonous snakes away.
Bull snakes are also a good snake to have around,, but not the only good snake.

Maybe the NC strain are nicer. They're the only snake I've ever been bitten by, and more than once. Caught snakes all the time when I was younger here in KS. We use to take bull snakes into town and spook folks with them. They let us then we took them back and let them go, or took them home and turned them loose around the house or around the farm. Only ever saw a couple bull snakes get growly. Black rat snakes no go. They also get in older septic systems and come in the house via the toilet. Never seen any other snake but a black rat snake do that around here at least. I kill every one I see but I'll leave the ones in NC alone :D

Latest posts