Latest Woodworking Project

Help Support Ruger Forum:

street

Hunter
Here is my latest woodworking project, a Roll Top Desk. The desk is made for a computer and I could not find plans for one that I needed so I took a set of plans and changed them for what I needed. It is made of quarter sawn Red Oak and Curly and Birdseye Maple. The frame work is made of quarter sawn oak and the raised panels are curly maple. The drawer fronts are both curly and birdseye maple. The knobs and pulls are hand made of Walnut. Here are a few pictures of It.

414230375.jpg

414230376.jpg

The roll top is made of sold wood made with a special tool for the router. The different slats are interlocking and such there is no need for the canvas and glue.

414230377.jpg

Here are the drawers on the left side of the top. Notice the Birdseye Maple drawer fronts.

414230378.jpg

This is the right side drawers on the top.

414230379.jpg

Here is the 3 right side drawers.

414230380.jpg

The drawers are full extension drawers that are dovetailed.

414230381.jpg

Here is the door for the computer. It looks like 3 drawer fronts so as to match the right side but the fact is it is only one door.

414230382.jpg

Here is the drawer for the computer. The slides are full extension and are good for 100 lbs. Notice the one door on the left, made to look like 3 drawer fronts to match the right side.

414230383.jpg

Here is the drawer front for the key board. Notice the nice looking Birdseye Maple drawer front.

414230384.jpg

Here is the side of the desk. Notice the nice looking quarter sawn oak and the curly maple raised panels.

414230385.jpg

coach

Hunter
Very nice. Looks like a ton of work.
The monitor looks a bit incongruous, but of course necessary in the 21st century to be a useful desk.

GunnyGene

Hawkeye
That's a beauty!! A real heirloom piece.

I know how complex making a roll top desk is. It's an act of pure love :) . Made one about 12 years ago that I'm sitting at right now. :)

BDM1

Single-Sixer
Absolutely beautiful. People who have those skills, it's like some kind of magic!

pete44ru

Hunter

You've done well, pilgrim..... nice work ! :)

I especially like the interlocking tambour slats - they should last at least 100 years longer than canvas-based tambours. :mrgreen:

BEAUTIFUL!!!

During my 4 years of HS wood shop I always thought I would make one like this. Here we are some 35+ years later and somehow I still have never managed to "get a round to it".

You have some serious wood working talent. Just wish you were a neighbor so I could come over and use the shop and your knowledge.

Latest posts