Not a Ruger...pre Model 27 S&W.

Help Support Ruger Forum:

tom black

Blackhawk
So I have an older cousin who has excellent taste in guns, he has no kids an is in the process of thinning the herd. There are a few of his guns he wants to keep in the family, an me being the good guy that I am, I'm only to happy to help him out. About 15 years ago he bought this 5" bbl, 5 screw pre Model 27, made in 56-57, for $500. It has the original box, warranty card, a pair of Coke's and a pair of non-relieved target grips, neither of which are original. They are in excellent condition as is the gun. I've gone over it with a magnifying glass an I honestly don't believe it's been shot since leaving the factory. The face of the cylinder is pristine, there is zero powder residue. Except for a faint turn line it's as new. Now for the big question. Do I shoot it or not? Sure would love to put an old deer on the ground with her come November. Thanks for looking.
Tom Black

414215439.jpg

414215440.jpg

414215438.jpg

The Norseman

Blackhawk
Wow! What a piece of S&W Art. That is in Excellent shape plus a Box
and Accoutrements.

It resembles the S&W Mountain Gun, like it could be a Pre-Mountain Gun.

Thanks for the Story and Pictures again.

gunsbam69

Hunter
By all means draw some blood, just don't get any on your revolver :D My thinking is if it's staying in the family and not headed off to market, then what it's worth in untouched mint collector's condition is irrelevant, but it's yours, so what I think is also irrelevant. That 5" is a cool just right gun IMHO.

Nimrod308

Bearcat
Very nice! I'm addicted to those old non model marked Smiths. If you plan to keep it in the family as others have said it does have a bit of a turn line I'd say shoot it and give it a good cleaning after. I have one just like it in the box that I have not shot but I have four more blued ones and I do shoot some of those. Very nice old gun!

Snake45

Hawkeye
Cholo said:
Shoot it! It's got a turn line so you're not going to hurt it at all. Preserve the cokes, though :)
Exactly what I was going to say. Plus which it looks like it has some holster wear at the muzzle. Shoot it in good health and Be Happy! :wink:

jgt

Buckeye
Shoot it. What good is having a wonderful gun if you can't enjoy shooting it. When you are gone someone will say "If only it could talk, I wonder what stories it would tell."

diffy40

Single-Sixer
jgt said:
Shoot it. What good is having a wonderful gun if you can't enjoy shooting it. When you are gone someone will say "If only it could talk, I wonder what stories it would tell."

Yea and you don't want that story to be; my owner kept me locked up in safe. He took all my friends out to play, hunt and fish and I always had to stay home.

Alabama, in the bend of the Tennessee River
Great catch, Tom, shoot and enjoy. I love the classic S&Ws! A pre-27 will definitely kill a deer. :) Here's my 6" from 1954. 173 gr. Keith 358429 bullet over 2400, classic load for a classic gun, and in my experience kills Alabama whitetails and coyotes just fine.

Mine has the original numbered magnas, but I've since put on a set of diamond targets which fit my hand better, though I sometimes put the magnas with a Tyler T-grip on for a classic look. Those cokes and non-relieved targets you have are S&W gold, you know?

413671594.jpg