Un-shopped photo

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Kevin's photoshopped images of his dog got me to thinking How about a test for some of the photographers.
Color or monochrome (we really can't call digital images black and white anymore).
DDIQtft.jpg

pete44ru

Hunter

My money's on it being a color shot, but can't decide if the backlit subject building is a mission or a prison.....

street

Hunter
If this is the way it came out of the camera then it is monochrome! If it has had any processing done to it then it could have been shot either way.

street

Hunter
Jeepnik said:
It's completely untouched. Digital image done on color not monochrome setting. I sometimes get lucky and actually get what I'm reaching for.
Please just a little more information.

When you say "Digital image done on color not monochrome setting." what exactly does that mean. Does it mean that the camera was set for color not monochrome. Or does it mean that the printer was set for color not monochrome. Or does it mean that the program that you downloaded the picture to was set to include color not monochrome.

There are 3 things that will make your picture monochrome! Any one of the three will give you the results that you show.
(1) The camera is set to monochrome.
(2) The software is set to show monochrome.
(3) The printer is set to print in Black and White.

street said:
Jeepnik said:
It's completely untouched. Digital image done on color not monochrome setting. I sometimes get lucky and actually get what I'm reaching for.
Please just a little more information.

When you say "Digital image done on color not monochrome setting." what exactly does that mean. Does it mean that the camera was set for color not monochrome. Or does it mean that the printer was set for color not monochrome. Or does it mean that the program that you downloaded the picture to was set to include color not monochrome.

There are 3 things that will make your picture monochrome! Any one of the three will give you the results that you show.
(1) The camera is set to monochrome.
(2) The software is set to show monochrome.
(3) The printer is set to print in Black and White.

The camera was set in standard (whatever that is) color mode. Mine has a setting for monochrome which for a digital isn't too bad. No software was used to alter the image. This isn't a scanned image so the no printer was used.

I just liked the fact that I got a better monochrome like image by simply manipulating the camera settings (shutter speed, f-stop, ISO, etc.) than by setting the camera to monochrome mode.

The image was shot in the afternoon on an overcast day (thus the "gray" sky).

The building is the east side of this.
oq5JZSx.jpg

I've enjoyed taking all sorts of photos of this old lighthouse. It's on a point of land about 150' above the surf. Depending on the day, the lighting and weather conditions can change dramatically or not at all.

Rick Courtright

Hawkeye
Hi,

Nice picture, Jeepnik! I cheated and read the whole thread first, but was going to vote for "color" anyway.

One of these days maybe I'll learn enough about digital cameras to be able to reproduce some of my "mistakes" or "lucky shots" on purpose. Until then, all I know is that you're right: sometimes it takes VERY little change in the camera settings to "create" an unintentional monochrome shot. Consider these little guys, English sparrows, taken earlier today. Looking north into a heavy cloud cover which added the backlight, just like in your picture, I was playing with the EV (exposure value?) setting to even get the tiny bit of color that shows. I deleted the other pictures before seeing this thread, but it took very little change in just that setting alone to have a couple of them one would be certain were shot with a monochrome setting. In reality, this was shot on the "vivid" color setting! And yes, those little guys are straight from camera.

p5xfl21m.jpg

So luck certainly plays into things every so often!

Rick C

Latest posts