Engraved 24-3

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Joe S.

Hunter
Picked this one up the other day. It is a 3" Lew Horton in 44 Special. The seller thought it was factory engraved but the Blue Book doesnt mention engraved models.

Sure is pretty though.

pete44ru

Hunter
Joe S. said:
It is a 3" Lew Horton in 44 Special.

The seller thought it was factory engraved but the Blue Book doesnt mention engraved models.

The engraving's factory.

The BBGV doesn't cover most special run firearms for distributors like Lew Horton, because there's not enough of them made/sold for a viable database over the years, as opposed to non-distributor special runs.

Joe S.

Hunter
Thanks! The Lew Hortons were in there. Just didn't mention the engraving. That's why i wasnt sure. Appreciate the info.

pete44ru

Hunter
Joe S. said:
The Lew Hortons were in there. Just didn't mention the engraving. That's why i wasnt sure. Appreciate the info.

You're welcome. :D

FWIW, a small batch of the first of the Model 24-3's produced got special treatment.

The first 100 Model 24-3's were factory engraved, with smooth stocks with silver S&W medallions in the grips.

25 of the 100 engraved 24-3's were nickel finished instead of blued.

Don Lovel

Hunter
A good friend of mine's wife has a blued 3" Lew Horton 44 Spec. as her EDC. I have shot it several times, it is the best DA trigger pull I have ever shot. She carries it in a Galco leather holster with two speed loaders and uses 200gr lead hollowpoint wadcutters. She works in the same office as my daughter, makes me glad to know she is that well armed and has my daughter interested in buying her first handgun purchase soon. I told my daughter "I cannot afford to buy you a fancy S&W like hers...."

RUFFBIRD

Blackhawk
Flyfisher66048 said:
A bad guy should be honored to be shot with such a revolver

Now this gave me a good chuckle...

Beautiful engraving on a sweet gun & just maybe the bad guys will be lining up there turn! :lol:
After all it is a 6 shooter... :p