30-06 rebored to 35 Whelen

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Joe S.

Hunter
Here's another one i havent fired yet. I bought this old Model 70 out of a LGS for a song a few months back. It was rough, bore was kind of pitted near the muzzle, marks all over the stock and not the best bluing. Given its condition, I decided why not have it rebored, as I have been wanting a 35 Whelen bolt gun for some time.

I sent it off to JES Reboring (http://www.35caliber.com) and had him do the rebore/ rechamber and cut the barrel to 18". Still trying to decide if i want to remount iron sights or an optic. I'll get it together soon and develop a load for it. I think it'll make a fine woods gun no matter what i settle on.

Hi Nice project I like the 35 Whelen I have one in a M77 just a thought when I first got mine it would miss fire quite a bit and found out the problem was factory Remington ammo had the wrong angle on the neck as I remember different ammo makers necked them a little different I reload so once fire formed I had no problems with miss fires I finally installed a heavier firing pin spring so it would fire the Remington factory ammo

Gramps

I should have said shoulder instead of neck :oops:

bnewberry

Single-Sixer
One of my favorite cartridges. This is a great way to give new life to this rifle, though I don't know about that short of a barrel. No doubt it will be fine, it just seems like the Whelen needs a 22 or even 24 inch barrel for best velocity. Of course that is true for most non-magnums! It should carry nicely so enjoy and update us when you get a scope or irons on it and shoot it!

Joe S.

Hunter
I prefer carbine length rifles when i can get em. I dont mind sacrificing a little velocity for a handy totin rifle.

I dont have shots out here on the place longer than 250, and that is not even easy to get. Mostly, 100-150 yards.

bnewberry

Single-Sixer
Joe S. said:
I prefer carbine length rifles when i can get em. I dont mind sacrificing a little velocity for a handy totin rifle.

I dont have shots out here on the place longer than 250, and that is not even easy to get. Mostly, 100-150 yards.

You are in good shape then!