2019 Mantle Rock Hollow Death March.

Help Support Ruger Forum:

tom black

Blackhawk
A few days ago I took off on my annual hike through Mantle Rock Hollow. It's a little known jewel in western Kentucky, an I hope it stays that way. The Mantle is billed as the largest natural rock bridge east of the Mississippi and measures 188 feet long and 30 feet high. On top are my grandfathers initials, HOB. He was born not far from here in 1894. The Cherokee Indians camped just a little ways from the Mantle on their way to Oklahoma. Enjoy.

414165767.jpg

Of course I had to take a long one of my favorite Ruger's.

414165435.jpg

Some of the cliff's.

414165777.jpg

414165775.jpg

414165780.jpg

Over the last couple months we've had a ton of rain. Check out the small tree on the right hand side of this picture. The debris in it is at least 6 feet off the ground. That much water tearing through this hollow had to have sounded like a run away freight train.

414165773.jpg

414165770.jpg

I would be willing to bet I've spent as much time down here as any one. I've hiked it for at least 55 years, been over every square foot of the place who knows how many times. The older I get, the uglier I become. The older this place gets, the more beautiful it becomes. It ain't fair.
Tom Black

414164843.jpg

GunnyGene

Hawkeye
Kentucky is a beautiful place. Took a bike (motorcycle) ride thru the state once back in the 70's, hitting a lot of the back roads. :)

gunzo

Hunter
Great pics Tom, thanks for sharing. They remind me of the Natural Bridge, Sky Bridge, Red River Gorge area in the east.

Feeling a bit embarrassed in the fact that I know so little of your end of the state. Not aware of Mantle Rock, I looked over the map. Ironically, I've fished Bayou Creek, I was so near.

Phalanx429

Bearcat
Tom...

Nice campaign hat!!! Oh, and great pictures of the other stuff too! :)

Thanks for sharing you great time and adventure. Nice.

gunman42782

Hunter
Nice pics. Lived in KY my whole life, and never heard of this place. May have to make a trip out that way!

tom black

Blackhawk
Thanks guys. Pack is a FR Isle Royale Jr. She's all leather, canvas and brass. I love it.
Tom Black

deanodog

Bearcat
If traveling in east Ky be sure to see the breaks interstate state park on the Ky and Va. line close to Elkhorn city Ky. Lot's of natural beauty.