Hard Water Fishing

Help Support Ruger Forum:

T.A. WORKMAN

Hunter
Had a nice day on the ice fishing for big bluegill in 18 feet of water. I finally got to try out my new Frabill 371 combo's using 2 lb. test line with 1/8th & 1/32 oz. white jigs with wax worms. Bite was slow but the fish were nice and chunky, 8 to 10 1/2 inches. End of the day bonus was a nice 3 1/2 pound, 16 1/2" Bass. She put up a good tussle, made two good runs before I slid her out on the ice on the third try. When I kicked her away from the hole the jig popped loose. Had 8"s of good and bad ice stacked and it is deteriorating rapidly with theses warm temperatures.

Terry
09xtgLSl.jpg

C4FKvtfl.jpg

S74hqtil.jpg

M83XMOsl.jpg

gJtoPlfl.jpg

qomQIXkl.jpg

SBH4628

Blackhawk
Very nice Terry
Save some for spring so you can have morels and fish dinner.
Be careful on that ice

Daniel

Hi looks like you had a good day I was all fired up about going this year finally had good ice then it went away so I started remodeling my front room and while I was working on my room it froze up again now I am done its is melting again :( :( maybe I can get one day in before its not safe

Gramps

T.A. WORKMAN

Hunter
Thanks guys,

Daniel, I have a big bag of perch & crappie saved with that in mind,,but I have to find the shroom's first, :wink: : :) .

Jim, I was fishing on a farm pond in northern Richland county, but also fish Mifflin & Clear Fork Lakes and a couple upland reservoirs.

Gramps, I hope you do get out, but remember the Ice Fishermans mantra,,NO ICE IS SAFE ICE!!,, be careful and good luck.

Terry

32shooter

Blackhawk
Nice bluegills Terry. What times the fish fry? I will stop by. :lol: :lol: I haven't been ice fishing for several years, doesn't seem like we get ice like we did years ago.
Mike Armstrong said:
Great post! Big bluegills make the best fish tacos known to man!
Fish tacos are good. I didn't think they would be, then one of the guys made them with walleye on one of our flyin trips. Mighty tasty.

32shooter said:
Nice bluegills Terry. What times the fish fry? I will stop by. :lol: :lol: I haven't been ice fishing for several years, doesn't seem like we get ice like we did years ago.
Mike Armstrong said:
Fish tacos are good. I didn't think they would be, then one of the guys made them with walleye on one of our flyin trips. Mighty tasty.
My How things have changed in the last 50+ years.
Growing up in Ohio and eating a lot of fish none of us ever heard of a fish taco. As far as that goes we never had Mexican food, pizza, BBQ or Chinese food. In fact wifie, son, grandson and I were talking about that the other night. What the hell did we in the Mid West eat in the 50s??????

My wife calls my bluegill fillets "bluegill chips." About the only thing that's better is yellow perch chips and yellow perch don't like California much. But bluegills just "moved right in and made themselves to home." Catfish, too. (Wish all our invasive species were that welcome....).

There's a redwing blackbird singin' his little heart out in the pocket wetland behind our place right now and that song ALWAYS makes me think of catfish since where there's tules in CA, there's blackbird nests. And catfish, a creature I purely admire. Especially in a taco, but when they're in a taco, you gotta call 'em "bagre" (like bah-gray).

Wyandot Jim said:
32shooter said:
Mike Armstrong said:
My How things have changed in the last 50+ years.
Growing up in Ohio and eating a lot of fish none of us ever heard of a fish taco. As far as that goes we never had Mexican food, pizza, BBQ or Chinese food. In fact wifie, son, grandson and I were talking about that the other night. What the hell did we in the Mid West eat in the 50s??????
Fried Chicken, grilled beef, hamburgers and hotdogs! Along with tater salad, green beans, mashed taters, turnip greens, etc
Good job, Terry! You have us all salivating, and chomping at the bit to do likewise! Morel's are a sometimes thing here in mid Tn.
gramps