Case Hardened Desert Eagle .44 Magnum

Help Support Ruger Forum:

mm6mm6

Blackhawk
I used to think the Desert Eagle in .50 AE was neat but that it had no real practical application, at least not for me. The giant handgun is a cult icon in fictional novels, tv, movies, and video games, but not something I was really interested in.

Then I shot one at the SHOT Show Industry Day at the Range and I was impressed with how well I could hit with it on steel. I was hitting a smaller than human size hunk of steel at 100 yards from a standing two-hand position. I have big hands and I chalked it up to my ability to properly handle the gun and to the bright sunlight on its big, easy to see sights.

So I got to thinking - the .50 AE ammo is expensive and not easily purchased at big box stores. But.......hmmmmmm. The .44 Magnum is a cartridge I already shoot and it's available fairly easily.

Then the Desert Eagle started being made here in the USA, which I like. And the new models have the rail up top to mount a red dot. That would be neat for wild boar hunting.... Hmmmmmmm again.

Then Magnum Research added to their gold tiger striped versions by having Bobby Tyler of www.TylerGunWorks.com case harden the entire pistol. And Magnum Research added fancy dark walnut stocks to match the multiple colored hues of Tyler's amazing case hardening process.

I was in! After many months, I finally have my Deagle along with a 'Cuda holster from Rob Leahy at Simply Rugged Holsters (www.simplyrugged.com). He's a super nice guy who makes really terrific holsters!

The Desert Eagle goes well with the Iroquois Tomahawk I already had from Tyler! (By the way, he's the only man on earth who knows how to properly case harden stainless steel! That axe is stainless!)

I'm ready for a hog hunt!

-Steve

RSIno1

Hunter
I have been kicking around getting a 50AE for years but have been reluctant due to their ugly finishes. Flat black, chrome or worst of all gold. After seeing yours I'm going to start looking again.

T.A. WORKMAN said:
Very nice CCH finish on your DE. Makes a Swan out of an ugly duckling IMHO.
Thanks for sharing.
Terry
Yep! Never thought of the DE as desirable till now! What kind of accuracy do you get, and what kind of loads? OAL or bullet weight restrictions?
gramps

CraigC

Hawkeye
Very cool! I've always had this deep seated urge to own one but for some reason, it's the satin nickel or chrome that appeals to me.

BDM1

Single-Sixer
Dang, that is a flat-out beautiful gun, i have never seen a case hardened finish on one. Can't quite put my finger on it, but that for some reason takes me back to when i first became interested in guns, late 80's- early 90's. Seems like i used to see more guns fixed up really nice and different back then. Also, that is really good photography, congratulations on that fine piece!

mm6mm6

Blackhawk
gramps said:
T.A. WORKMAN said:
Very nice CCH finish on your DE. Makes a Swan out of an ugly duckling IMHO.
Thanks for sharing.
Terry
Yep! Never thought of the DE as desirable till now! What kind of accuracy do you get, and what kind of loads? OAL or bullet weight restrictions?
gramps

There is a list of factory ammo on the Magnum Research website. 240 grain jacketed bullets only. The jacket must cover the side of the bullet and the base. The barrel is polygonal and exposed lead at the base will eventually plug weld the gas port.

Accuracy is known to be really great. I only shot it so far at 21 feet. Indoor range. I shot it better with tighter groups than any other pistol I've shot for the first time.

Crazy thing is my 22 year old daughter shot it too. She never had a malfunction. My hands are really big. I have to concentrate on not touching the bottom of the magazine. Any jostling of it will cause a misfeed. My two handed hold was kept very tight and stable. No limp wristing. But I kept having jams. Firing it one handed posed no problems. My daughter had no problems. My big hands are the problem. More shooting in two days to figure it out.

I like that one, it looks nice!
Like y'all, I've thought about one too, off and on again. A long time ago, I shot one a friend owned, his must have been 44 also. If I got one it would be in 357. They are just so far over the top, who wouldn't want one?

mm6mm6

Blackhawk
How about that? Turns out my Desert Eagle was the model for Magnum Research's webpage:

That's kind of fun!

Latest posts