Elk hunting companions

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Awhile back I posted a pic of my deer woods companions. Seeing as this is my 55th elk season and seeing as I am downsizing my hunting firearms inventory, I thought it time to post a pic of my budget elk hunting rifle for the few remaining years of my elk hunting future.

When I first started hunting elk, my rifle was a Remington 721, 30-06. This rifle served me well for 20 years. After that, I indulged myself with chamberings and platforms more focused on taking elk. Well, I was no more or less successful with those choices. This past year I decided to go back to my roots and eliminate the balance of my elk specific rifles.

My choice was a Ruger American 30-06 which I purchase on sale for $274 at a local discount store. I then waited for a sale on scopes and rings. I got a Leupold VX-1 3x9x40 scope and rings for another $149. As it turned out the Ruger shoots sub-moa groups using Remington Core-Lokt 180gr factory loads. Sighted in for 2" high at 100yds. This is my "econo package" going forward until I give up hunting.

My sidearm part of the the duo varies, but generally is a Colt 1911 45, Ruger SR1911 10mm, or any number of 4" .357 mag double action revolvers. I have also started using a shooting stick to help steady my aim.... :wink:

Dave

Actually yes. We got 3 cow tags filled in a 15 minute time span. It took another 9 hours to pack them out...... now I am packing a 4" 686 Smith with 180gr hardcast loads in support of my other hunting partners.