An embarrassingly good day

Help Support Ruger Forum:

contender

Ruger Guru
Yesterday,,, the treasure club I belong to,, (metal detecting club,) had it's annual member only seeded competition hunt.
Well, I'm a fair hand at competitions,, and I've always done pretty good. Yesterday was no exception. We had 21 members hunt,, in two different hunts. There were a total of 150 tokens planted for prizes. I came away with "several" tokens,, and when the prizes were being handed out,, I won some nice items.
Along with what I dug in coins,, (wheat pennies, buffalo nickles, silver dimes,) as well as the junk stuff I dug,, I pulled about 200 targets out of the ground. Total hunt time was 45 minutes in each hunt.
It's embarrassing to see how I do,, compared to several other folks. Out of the 21 hunters,, I'd say 5 of us are hard hunting, serious competitors. Between us,, we got the majority of the tokens. All members did get at least one or two tokens,, but,, I think I had 25-30 myself. Here's a picture of my goodies,, except for a pair of knee pads & a digging tool.

contender

Ruger Guru
Yep,, a good day,,, for me & a few others.
The huntmaster tried to make it harder for me & a few others,, but all it really did was make it harder for the less experienced.
Some of the junk I dug was small, iron/steel, and harder to find. I was prepared. I dug 5 "bobby pins" a small piece of aluminum foil, (1/4 the size of a dime,) 2 screws, NOT including the screw he put in a baggie as a token prize, several rusty nails, (due to bonfires occasionally there where they use old lumber,) 15 aluminum pull tabs, a 1/4" piece of an aluminum rivet.
BUT,, I also found 5 of the steel wartime wheat pennies, a piece of a pull tab in a baggie (token prize,) and 4 bottle caps that were all token prizes. I hunted in an "all metal" mode,, and was just fast at recovering stuff.

Rick Courtright

Hawkeye
callshot said:
I have thought of doing that but never have gotten into it yet.

Hi,

A friend belongs to a gold mining group out in the desert, and they use metal detectors both for gold in the dry desert washes and stream beds, and also for "hidden treasure" around the old mines. An anthro prof once told me if humans didn't make pit toilets of some kind along with trash heaps or dumps, most of the archeologists and many anthropologists would be out of a job. Those two environments are great sources of old goodies. The gold mining crew seems to prove him right now and again, when someone finds a pile of old tin cans and they start digging. Lots of old coins in particular seem to show up. Pretty much like Ty's take for the day!

Rick C

Looks like you had a good time. I've thought of that myself, just never got started.

Just out of curiosity what kind of equipment do you use? And do you have better equipment than many folks or is it pretty much equal? Seems like the better equipment would give you an edge if you know how to use it well. But I don't know.

I'm curious too, what brand of metal detector do you have? I know there are different styles as well, are some better than others? For someone starting out, do you want to go cheap or will that just cause frustrations?

contender

Ruger Guru
Well, as a long time detectorist,,, I have a fair amount of experience. I was the club president for 10 years. I've hunted with several machines over the years,, and I get to "try" a lot of them. Here are a few guidelines.

The best advice I can give is for ANY machine is to READ THE MANUAL twice,, before you even turn it on.

Do not buy a "bargain brand" machine. (Radio shack, wally world etc.) Buy a known brand.

Buy a machine that is above the entry level types. While many of the name brand machines that are entry level will perform better than bargain brands,, I often found most of them lacking in some functions or ESPECIALLY ease of use.

If you budget $300 for a machine,, I strongly suggest you buy the next level above your budget. Why? Just like a gun safe,, you THINK one size will work, only to find it is too small. In detectors,, you spend a bit more,, but the quality of machine steps up a lot.

If I was starting out,, I'd look into the "mid-priced" range for any quality brand to be my first machine. In general,, the mid-priced ones offer features that are very desirable,, they are much easier to set & operate,, and WILL pay for themselves IF YOU USE THEM.
Again; RTFM!!!!!!! (3-4 times,, to truly understand the machine.)

Brands; I have used every major brand out there,, and even many of the lesser ones. In order of what I have seen as far as performance, quality & abilities the brands are as follows;
Minelab
Fisher M-Scope
Whites (With Fisher & whites both about the same all around.)
Tesoro
Garrett

Now, there are others,, and even a few foreign made machines,, that work good. BUT,, these are the ones I see outlast & out perform most others.

To narrow a list of what to buy,, look at the features you desire. Examples;
If you live in a place where gold nuggets are a potentially good item to hunt,, then a "Gold Machine" specifically for that is recommended. I'm a scuba diver,, so for me,, a waterproof machine is a top priority for me. (I currently use a Fisher M-Scope CZ-20 as my primary machine. Mine is older & the newest version is the CZ-21.)
If relic hunting is your main desire,, then look into machines that can be tuned for serious work like that.

Basically when somebody starts asking me about metal detectors,, I start by quizzing them into what their desires are,, and THEN steer them towards a machine that will do the things they want, with ease & as few complications as possible.

And, as many often ask,, "How much should I spend on a machine?" Again, look at your budget,, and go a step above. BUT,, a mid-range machine will cost you $500-$700 average from most good manufacturers.
I was just looking at a Fisher FS-70 as a back-up machine,, and it retails for around $650. The seller was willing to sell it to me,, with a dealer warranty for $650,,, BUT,,, he was getting out of being a dealer,, and if I didn't want HIS dealer warranty,, (there is a factory 5 year warranty) I could have bought it for $550. I used to be a dealer for a little while,, and the mark-up is NOT good for the retail seller,, UNLESS you buy in VOLUME. (Same as gun dealers.)

But,, I think my next machine will be a Minelab,, and a water machine. It isn't cheap,, but I've been able to use my machines & find enough to MORE than buy them again & again. If you learn to use them,, you can make enough back to replace the money spent. You won't recover your time in wages,, but occasionally,, you WILL find stuff worth a LOT.
I fully paid for an elk hunting trip in 1996 using JUST the money made off finds. Some of it was common coins,, and other stuff was found, then sold. And when I got home from that trip,, I was handed another $100 from our store,, where a watch I'd found had sold while I was gone. You won't get rich,,, but you can get money back. It all depends upon your abilities & the time you spend.

Look at my posts about how I, along with just a few others,, whipped butt at the competition. We hunted hard, we know our machines,, and we had the right equipment, for recovery.

I'll GLADLY offer my knowledge to anyone who wants to discuss things at length. We can do the phone call thing.

Always wanted to get one but for whatever reason never did. Now you have peeked my interest again. I looked at the Fisher F70 and there is one listed for $449.95 down from $799.00. https://www.metaldetector.com/fisher-f70-metal-detector

contender

Ruger Guru
That's a good mid-line machine.
I'll be GLAD to discuss it with you anytime!

And you have found that you can buy stuff cheaper online too. I didn't mention that,, because I try to support the little guy,, especially when he's in my club. But I also know that many folks don't have a "local" dealer to work with.
That's a downside. A local dealer can & often does offer a lot of hands on assistance.

(PS; if you look at what I found JUST at the hunt,, I have close to $300 worth of goodies there.)