Deer woods companions

Help Support Ruger Forum:

This year's deer season is over..... No luck. My 2 companions as they have been for the last couple of years. A Cooper Model 54 7mm-08 and my Ruger SP101 4" 357. For me, the perfect combo for the local deer woods.

Dave

GunnyGene said:
Over? Ours hasn't even started yet. :roll:

Yeh, it sucks. Where I hunt here in Washington state the season is 9 days and starts in mid-October. Ended this past Tuesday. There is a "late" season around Thanksgiving, but that is it..... Time for elk hunting now! Different companions for that season. :D

Dave

Dang it Dave but that Cooper is nice and it is in the perfect caliber for deer hunting around here. My Oregon deer tank is good until March of next year but I'm waiting another week or so for the rut to start. I love rattling blacktail bucks and shooting them with a revolver up close and personal so normally the 7mm-08 stays home during deer season.

A little history on the Cooper. After the 2014 hunting season I decided to have a rifle built for my Dad. I wanted it to be special. He was a huge 7mm caliber fan. I contacted Cooper in Stevensville, Montana. After lots of thought and study I chose a Model 54 with a AAA hand select walnut stock. I decided to use my Dad's initials and birth date as the serial number. The chambering was 7mm-08. During the selection process my father passed away just prior to his 84th birthday without knowing my intentions. At the time of his death he was still active and hunted, both elk and deer. A few months after his death I decided to proceed with ordering the rifle. I received it in the summer of 2015. I mounted a Leupold VX3 2.5-8 scope on it.

The rifle is now a legacy firearm to honor my father and to be passed on to the hunters now and in the future of my family. I hunted with it the last couple of years. My brothers and nephews will be hunting with it next year and beyond.

It was built as a tribute to my Dad and his joy of hunting and firearms. My only regret is that I didn't have this rifle built earlier when my Dad could enjoy it as well. I think that he knows of it's existence and approves.......

Dave

Dave gorgeous rifle, and I'm sure he's very happy seeing you carry it in the woods. I hope your deer hunting opportunity to get out in the out of doors was pleasant and satisfying for you. In Alaska me and my partner referred to that kind of thing as "heavily armed camping" which we frequently did.

Bear Paw Jack said:
Walking/Shooting sticks are critical as WE get older. Is that something you made yourself or bought? I take one with me when I go for a walk. I mostly just carry it. Got it at Sportsmans. Yours is nicer.

Sportsman's. Pick of the litter. Longer than most. I put a rap on the handle for better grip.

salover

Single-Sixer
Beautiful wood on that rifle!! Love it, and your Dads' initials and birth date as a serial number is a great touch of personalization. He certainly would have been proud, if not reluctant, to carry it. He certainly would have been proud of his son.