Playing with new HP

Help Support Ruger Forum:

sixshot

Buckeye
I've decided to focus on using a new HP for deer hunting this fall. Recently I've taken 3 different animals with 3 different guns but all 3 were 5 1/2" barreled guns so I've decided to use one of my favorite 4 5/8's old models with this new bullet & see how things work out. The bullet I'm going to use is a 45 caliber 217 gr Maxine Mouth HP breaking out of the chutes of my 3 screw shorty 45. Today was the initial work up day & I started by using 10 grains of Longshot.
Shooting from the sitting position with my back against my truck & knees drawn up (my usual position) I shot the first 3 rounds & checked with the glasses. The group was vertical but all 3 were almost touching. I decided not to make a sight adjustment & loaded & fired the next 3 of the same load. These 3 did the same thing, just made the group string vertical with all 6 shots almost touching but a tick low of my aiming point.
Next up was 11 grs of Longshot & I did make a sight adjustment before shooting the first 3 shots. These were much more centered with one shot going slightly out. I loaded the next 3 & fired using the same hold & was pretty pleased with this load. Didn't use the Chronograph, that will come later. First photo is the 217 gr. Maxine Mouths that are a clone of the Lyman #452190 except for the HP. Second photo is my OM shorty & the 6 shot group at 20 yds sitting.
I'll run a few more groups & see what kind of speed I'm getting, perhaps somewhere around 1000 fps is my guess with this short barrel.

0QWcNi6h.jpg

q2XtFkMh.jpg

Dick

contender

Ruger Guru
Looking good so far. Let us know how it all goes.
I'm shooting a lot in preparation of my upcoming cow elk hunt. My plan is to try & use my El Dorado in 45 Colt as well. I'm using the Miha 454-640 solid.