Two new Cerakoted guns

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Here's a couple more guns I've Cerakoted;

Deal too good to pass up so I bought it. Glock Model 19. Since I don't like black guns all the time went two tone brown/tan

This one is my American Rimfire that I had done in a light brown w/black accents but I wanted something different so I blasted off the other Cerakote and turned it green (it's actually a bit darker, the bright sunlight lightened it):

hittman

Staff member
You do great work Ron. Something you should be very proud of!

coach

Hunter
Both are quite nice. The Glock really benifits from the two tone job. The Ruger is nicer looking to begin with but still looking better with the new color stock.

Ahh, yep, all the parts have to come out to coat them. That's typically why I tell the person getting the gun Cerakoted to send me the complete gun. Then when I'm done I can put it back together and make sure everything fits correctly and moves like it's supposed to. For the critical holes in frames etc, I will plug them so there isn't any build up of material that could cause any binding. I have lots of books that tell me how to completely disassemble the guns I get, along with illustrated parts breakdowns and of course my handy camera (which has saved my butt a few times on older European pistols).

Ron, also curious, how durable you think Cerakote is. I bought another Detective Special a couple of years ago, and couldn't tell by the pictures anything had been done to it. I'm reasonable certain it's Cerakote, and although I haven't done a lot of shooting with it, and keeping it in a holster the gun hasn't picked up any marks or scratches. I'm pretty impressed so far. What is your take on it?

I Cerakoted a friends J frame S&W that he carries 5 days a week (IWB in a leather holster). After 7 years now, you cannot see any change in the appearance of the gun. I have another customer who I Cerakoted his main small game hunting shotgun and other than scuffs on the barrel from going through thick brush there is basically no change in how it looks. The parent company of Cerakote (NIC Industries) is one of if not the leading company in the US for industrial metals coatings. I've been a customer of theirs for well over 10 years now and I won't use anything else.

Don't get me wrong, I love a well done blued firearm, especially the 60's - 70's S&W bluing and the Colt Royal Blue they did to the Python (and others) but you will not find that kind of work done on a regular basis any more. A lot has to do with the chemicals used back then and the time and effort (prep work is a BIG deal to get firearms to be blued nicely) that major gun companies just don't have the time for (and regular customers don't want to pay for). That said, for a every day working man's firearm that isn't babied, that is where Cerakote comes in to play. A well done Cerakote job (again prep work is everything to get it done correctly) will protect a firearm for as long as you own it as long as it is not abused. Yes, it will wear, just like bluing wears the more it is handled, but Cerakote is head and shoulders above bluing for corrosion prevention and can be reapplied a lot easier than rebluing a firearm.

BTW, the Glock shown above sold in about 15 seconds after I showed it to one of my customers who loves Glocks :D

If you want more info about Cerakote you can go here: https://www.cerakoteguncoatings.com/ and you can learn all about it and the company behind it.

toysoldier said:
...but that Glock is what I would call "slumlord tan," as that color is frequently encountered in low-rent housing.

I wouldn't know anything about that but I do know that many people who are not slumlords like the color. Also the colors are some what "washed out" as it was taken with a flash, they are a bit darker in real life.

But you are certainly allowed to have your opinion, it's still a free country.

Latest posts