A RARE SIGHTING

Help Support Ruger Forum:

32shooter

Blackhawk
I haven't seen a praying mantis for quite a while. Spotted this one while weed whacking the fence row. Also spotted what I believe was a small milk snake while mowing, but he made a get away before I could get a picture of him.

T.A. WORKMAN

Hunter
Nice picture,,thats the first one I have seen in awhile also. Common snakes are no longer common,, :wink:
I've only seen a couple of garter snakes over the past few years. My wife however seen a milk snake that her niece found and then let go earlier this year, I did however see a picture of it! :D
Terry

Great photo. I have had them around my place for years. This year however they don't seem to be to prevalent. I wonder if the long very cold winter messed up their reproductive cycle. Heard just the other day that they are the only insect that sees in 3D. Haven't seen any snakes this summer but know there is at least one around. Found a really big shed skin in the back yard.

coach

Hunter
Fox Mike said:
Great photo. I have had them around my place for years. This year however they don't seem to be to prevalent. I wonder if the long very cold winter messed up their reproductive cycle. Heard just the other day that they are the only insect that sees in 3D. Haven't seen any snakes this summer but know there is at least one around. Found a really big shed skin in the back yard.
I've seen one this year when I usually see them a lot. The cold weather didn't bother the bagworms though on some junipers that I never got around to spraying because of the rain.

caryc

Hawkeye
WendyZXZ said:
Great picture, those are some interesting little critters to watch!

Kind of spooky little guys the way they swivel their heads around to watch you. The only bug I know that I get the feeling he's looking at me and thinking something.

montegomx70

Single-Sixer
I had one in my school bus last year, i put the little bugger in a tree, its the first one i saw in twenty plus years. cool photo.

As kids we'd sometimes have 25-cent mice for pets .. take em to school to terrorize the girls, etc. One day I decided to feed a praying mantis to mine. I nonchalantly dropped him in the mouse cage and waited for the action. I was a bit surprised when he opened a can of whup-ass on that poor mouse; had that mouse backed into a corner in ten seconds flat. I had to rescue the little feller from that demon.

LarryH

Single-Sixer
Found one on the picnic table in the backyard, the kids were all gathered around it and it crawled up on our 3 year olds hand. You'd have thought the world just ended! She froze as solid as ice and screamed bloody murder! Was able to safely remove the beautiful little bug to a safer place. I just showed her the pic and she screamed again! I have some teaching ahead......

caryc

Hawkeye
LarryH said:
Found one on the picnic table in the backyard, the kids were all gathered around it and it crawled up on our 3 year olds hand. You'd have thought the world just ended! She froze as solid as ice and screamed bloody murder! Was able to safely remove the beautiful little bug to a safer place. I just showed her the pic and she screamed again! I have some teaching ahead......

As I said...they are spooky looking critters :mrgreen: